Darion Clark finds NFL path after finishing basketball at Grand Canyon

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

That article isn't too in depth. What exactly is intriguing?
wab
Mod

He's big and athletic I guess, but this is one of those "leave no stone un-turned" things.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:23 pm That article isn't too in depth. What exactly is intriguing?
Yeah, size and his hands are what intrigue me. I can see the link between good rebounders in basketball and playing TE in football. He played QB in high school at a pretty high level. Caught passes from Darnold at his pro-day.

Desperation for the team to find a stud TE probably factors into it as well.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He's in good company. Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, Julius Peppers, Darren Fells, Julius Thomas, and Tony Gonzalez all played basketball as well as football in college.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
G08
Hall of Famer

Where the hell is @Hiphopopotamos

I'm sending Fendi Onobun vibes bro... wherever you are...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

So I listened to a podcast interview with this kid from a week or so ago. He's up to between 235 and 240lbs. He's been working on his speed for the last year (wouldn't give out a 40 time, but said he's gained a lot of speed). His focus going forward is blocking. He's still going back to practice at USC and getting as much work in on blocking with the TE coach as he can. Played QB in high school and that was his last time in cleats. Hung up the cleats for sneakers in college and claims he's always regretted leaving football. Been working on the transition for about 2 years. He picked Chicago due to the opportunity for a "nobody" due to lack of depth at the position. Says he understands that his #1 chance to make this team is to block better than the other guys and seems laser focused on getting better.

I know it's just a street signing. But I like this kid. Big, fast, good hands, good body control, QB perspective, knows he's got one shot at this or it's off to work in the real world. If, and this is a big if.... if this kid can block he'll be pretty good for us.

I'm hoping this kid can at least get on the practice squad. I'm rooting for him anyways.