QB Prospect Discussion: Jake Fromm, Georgia

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

EricTighe
MVP

This year's Qb class is shaping up like the 2017 draft. There are questions about every QB in this draft and not just small hands ones either.

Should we be surprised if Jordan Love ends up being the best QB in this class and future MVP of the league?

It is beginning to head that way.

By the way, I loved Watson until he threw a football under 60mph.
Trubisky and Mahomes I had graded them as both 2nd rounds picks.

Shows what I know. Mahomes in a pass-happy offense, Trubisky without much tape to watch. Mahomes going to KC and learning under Smith definitely elevated his game.

Come to think of it with the success that Alex Smith has had with young QB's anyone else think we might wanna bring him in as the Back-up.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:28 am
mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:22 am

This isn't to sound like a dick.

Give me your guy not a first rounder. You keep spewing the same statement. Name a QB you like. What you like. The elevate talent statement. I personally think it's dumb. John Elway laughs.
Maybe go look at the Mahomes thread... that's a QB I liked... you can think it's dumb all you want... Fromm is a backup in the NFL... and if someone spends a 2nd round pick on him they are wasting a 2nd round pick...

You didnt answer any question. Mahomes was also my guy. Mahomes isn't in this draft.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:15 am Fromm's physical limitations suggest he's not going to develop into a high-level starter. He might prove me wrong (and I'll eat that crow if he does), but that's how I see him: a very good backup who doesn't have starter talent.
I do tend to think Fromm has left over RPMs in his base. He doesn't turn his hips in throws. But even then he has shown enough arm and good accuracy. I think that touch of growth could really benefit him.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Per Wharton’s charting Fromm’s accuracy past 10 yards absolutely falls off a cliff...

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:07 pm
BamaBear09 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:28 am

Maybe go look at the Mahomes thread... that's a QB I liked... you can think it's dumb all you want... Fromm is a backup in the NFL... and if someone spends a 2nd round pick on him they are wasting a 2nd round pick...

You didnt answer any question. Mahomes was also my guy. Mahomes isn't in this draft.
I answered your question... you can take that answer or leave it... I don’t owe you any justification of my opinion... if Fromm becomes a great NFL QB just come back here and tell me how wrong I was...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Ha, your funny. I truly appreciate that move. "I have spoken an refuse to explain". This is a message board. It's kind of like a place where people express thoughts and ideas. This message board specifically about Chicago bear football, this sub forum about the nfl draft, and this thread about jake fromm. Not for you though. You have spoken. Good job, bravo.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:44 am Ha, your funny. I truly appreciate that move. "I have spoken an refuse to explain". This is a message board. It's kind of like a place where people express thoughts and ideas. This message board specifically about Chicago bear football, this sub forum about the nfl draft, and this thread about jake fromm. Not for you though. You have spoken. Good job, bravo.
So thank you for explaining everything to me... again I don’t need your validation on my opinion... if you don’t like that, you can just not bother to read my posts or respond to them... what’s funny is you don’t seem to have anything to say about the posts when I share a outside data... by people who do a lot more studying or digging into info about Fromm that pretty much explains my opinion on him, only trying to attack what I say about him... but that’s cool, cause he checks boxes and can improve his abilities and should be a solid starter, cause, ya know, you said so...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I do believe you reading into things I have not said. I find that entertaining.

The question was what non first round QB do you like? We clearly have a different opinion on Fromm. This question is for posters like myself to see how you gauge other qbs.

I did look at the tweet you posted. I have also read your standard "inaccurate and didnt elevate others" statements. Now I have watched pretty much every QB this draft class, but true I am no expert. Here's some Scouts quotes.

“I like Jake,” the NFC scout said. “He’s so smart. A great kid. The arm strength will be a little bit of a concern. The intelligence and the decision-making, all that stuff is good. It will be interesting to see how the process plays with him. But yeah, he’s a solid prospect.”

"Mentally, he's like [Andrew] Luck," said one AFC scouting director. "He doesn't wow you in practice watching him throw because he's a little small and doesn't have a huge arm, but he knows where to go with the ball and makes the right decisions. That counts for more than 4.4 speed or a cannon arm," he added.

Daniel Jeremiah stated he is a suped up Chase Daniels. I dont think that's necessarily far off, and a better Chase Daniels is a starter for this team.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:56 am I do believe you reading into things I have not said. I find that entertaining.

The question was what non first round QB do you like? We clearly have a different opinion on Fromm. This question is for posters like myself to see how you gauge other qbs.

I did look at the tweet you posted. I have also read your standard "inaccurate and didnt elevate others" statements. Now I have watched pretty much every QB this draft class, but true I am no expert. Here's some Scouts quotes.

“I like Jake,” the NFC scout said. “He’s so smart. A great kid. The arm strength will be a little bit of a concern. The intelligence and the decision-making, all that stuff is good. It will be interesting to see how the process plays with him. But yeah, he’s a solid prospect.”

"Mentally, he's like [Andrew] Luck," said one AFC scouting director. "He doesn't wow you in practice watching him throw because he's a little small and doesn't have a huge arm, but he knows where to go with the ball and makes the right decisions. That counts for more than 4.4 speed or a cannon arm," he added.

Daniel Jeremiah stated he is a suped up Chase Daniels. I dont think that's necessarily far off, and a better Chase Daniels is a starter for this team.
But a better Chase Daniel isn't a starter for most of the league... he may have been able to make plays over Trubisky but what does that mean in the grand scheme of things... you're just looking for someone who is slightly better than Trubisky, in your opinion, to be drafted? I just don't really get the point you are trying to make... I want a franchise QB, not just a guy who is slightly better than Trubisky... because you know what slightly better than Trubisky gets you, right? Them being content with it and not pushing forward to find a real Franchise QB... basically what the Bears have done through their history... had "good enough" and not great and thus didn't push for more when the opportunities were there...

I really don't like any of the non-1st round QBs... and honestly I think Joe Burrow is who you are wishing Fromm was... with a better arm, which is why it works for Burrow...
wab
Mod

I think a better Chase Daniel would start for more teams than you think. A better Chase Daniel is basically Andy Dalton.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:16 am I think a better Chase Daniel would start for more teams than you think. A better Chase Daniel is basically Andy Dalton.
So Chad Henne with less arm would a quality starter in the NFL?
wab
Mod

BamaBear09 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:21 am
wab wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:16 am I think a better Chase Daniel would start for more teams than you think. A better Chase Daniel is basically Andy Dalton.
Was the word "quality" anywhere in what I posted?
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:48 am
BamaBear09 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:21 am

Was the word "quality" anywhere in what I posted?
Didn't say you said that... was asking your opinion on it... hence the question mark...
EricTighe
MVP

Well for those that hate Fromm. 2 points.

1. He is supposed to be very smart. (Nagy preaches about who he loves smart QB's. Understandable saying we have a playbook that looks like a phonebook.
2. Ryan Pace loves kids from Georgia!

It looks better than a 50% chance we may grab him.
wab
Mod

Jake Fromm says playing for Bears would be like 'home away from home'

By Bryan Perez February 27, 2020 8:43 AM

Former Georgia star Jake Fromm isn't the top-ranked quarterback in the 2020 NFL Draft. In fact, he isn't in most draft analysts' top-five at the position. But for a Bears team looking to add competition for Mitch Trubisky this offseason, he could be an ideal target in the second round after the bigger-name gunslingers come off the board.

Fromm, who started 42 games during his time as a Bulldog, finished his college career completing 63.2% of his passes for 8,236 yards, 78 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. Despite his high level of success against the nation's top competition, his average (at best) arm strength has scouts concerned about his ability to make all the throws on the route tree against NFL defensive backs.

Fromm, who spoke with NBC Sports Chicago in Miami during Super Bowl Week, said he isn't concerned about the public perception of his game.

"Being me, I know what I do well, and I want to be the best me I can be," Fromm said when asked about what he wants to prove to scouts during the run-up to the draft.

Fromm, who was in Miami on behalf of State Farm, said he has confidence in his style of play.

"I know I can go out and make all the throws I need to make. I play with my mind, play with my feet and just go out and play football."

The Bears will have the benefit of some advanced scouting on Fromm. Several of his former college teammates are currently on the roster, including Leonard Floyd, Roquan Smith, Javon Wims and Riley Ridley.

And who better to ask what kind of leader and quarterback he is than two of his former pass-catchers?

"What more could you ask for?" Fromm said when asked about a potential reunion with Wims and Ridley in Chicago. "To play with those guys, especially two of the guys I've thrown the ball to. I've gone up against Roquan every single practice. It would kind of be like home away from home."
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Pace is meeting with him, which is just due diligence. Of course, we all know Pace's liking for Georgia players....
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:46 am
you're just looking for someone who is slightly better than Trubisky, in your opinion, to be drafted? I just don't really get the point you are trying to make... I want a franchise QB, not just a guy who is slightly better than Trubisky... because you know what slightly better than Trubisky gets you, right? Them being content with it and not pushing forward to find a real Franchise QB... basically what the Bears have done through their history... had "good enough" and not great and thus didn't push for more when the opportunities were there...
I get your point we all want they next Mahomes. Problem is it's not going to happen, and when they had the chance they fucked up.

So either they have to shit the bed and go for Lawerence. Not going to happen. Or take opportunities to look for a replacement. I think Fromm has room to grow with better technique, and hes mentally capable. Which is why I think it's a good choice.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:19 pm
you're just looking for someone who is slightly better than Trubisky, in your opinion, to be drafted? I just don't really get the point you are trying to make... I want a franchise QB, not just a guy who is slightly better than Trubisky... because you know what slightly better than Trubisky gets you, right? Them being content with it and not pushing forward to find a real Franchise QB... basically what the Bears have done through their history... had "good enough" and not great and thus didn't push for more when the opportunities were there...
I get your point we all want they next Mahomes. Problem is it's not going to happen, and when they had the chance they fucked up.

So either they have to shit the bed and go for Lawerence. Not going to happen. Or take opportunities to look for a replacement. I think Fromm has room to grow with better technique, and hes mentally capable. Which is why I think it's a good choice.
Exactly. It boggles my mind that people want pace to draft someone significantly better than Mitch in R2 (or later) but criticize him for taking Mitch at #2. Is the irony not apparent to anyone other than me?
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Defense is too good to get a top 5 pick... unless the bottom falls out... after watching him, I am never going to be a fan of Fromm, just don't think that's worth a 2nd with his physical limitations... now if you could put Fromm's brain in Jacob Eason's body... but then you'd have a number 1 overall pick...
Umbali
MVP

“He doesn’t have the size or the arm strength of a Justin Herbert, but his arm is stronger than I gave it credit for,” Nagy said. “He’s such a quick processor. To watch this guy go through his progressions, he knows exactly where to go with the football. There’s no delay when he goes from one, to two, to three.

“Jake is so smooth with his eyes, so decisive, he’s very accurate. He has a great feel in the pocket, he’s mobile enough.”

From this article

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/geo ... urt-warner
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I assume Nagy talking highly of Fromm means the bears are not in picking him. He did have weakest arm at combine but it wasn't career ending weak. Clip below shows he can get ball down field but it's not a strength.

G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:07 pm I assume Nagy talking highly of Fromm means the bears are not in picking him. He did have weakest arm at combine but it wasn't career ending weak. Clip below shows he can get ball down field but it's not a strength.

That's Jim Nagy, not Mateo
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Ah, reading not a strength I have.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Agree with Bama. Fromm is heavy-legged and weak-armed. Plus, you don't want a small-handed, weak-armed QB in Soldier Field in winter. He looks like a 5-7 round talent--a career backup, spot starter that might be able to stay in the league by dint of knowing a WC O well.
EricTighe
MVP

Drone7 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:49 pm Agree with Bama. Fromm is heavy-legged and weak-armed. Plus, you don't want a small-handed, weak-armed QB in Soldier Field in winter. He looks like a 5-7 round talent--a career backup, spot starter that might be able to stay in the league by dint of knowing a WC O well.
I understand that is your point of view. But let us not bash the guy. You don't like him then don't like him.

I am sure you Loved Brady. I am sure you loved Brees. One with a good arm the other has great anticipation.

I am sure you love Lamaar Jackson and Deshaun Watson. To be honest two guys who threw less than 50 MPH. That equates to a lack of arm strength.

I am not a big fan of drafting Fromm but I am not going to relegate him to a career back-up. He seems to be very smart and anticipates routes extremely well. He is not going to gain a lot with his legs 5.01 makes him faster than Brady but slower than Mahomes (4.80). During the throwing drills, he didn't seem to have issues throwing to wide open guys and hitting them in stride. Surprisingly some guys did? Some of those guys are in the top half of this draft. I also do not believe he should be drafted before the 5th or 6th round. But then again I feel that way about a lot of these QB's.
Drone7
Player of the Month

EricTighe wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:43 pm
Drone7 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:49 pm Agree with Bama. Fromm is heavy-legged and weak-armed. Plus, you don't want a small-handed, weak-armed QB in Soldier Field in winter. He looks like a 5-7 round talent--a career backup, spot starter that might be able to stay in the league by dint of knowing a WC O well.
I understand that is your point of view. But let us not bash the guy. You don't like him then don't like him.

I am sure you Loved Brady. I am sure you loved Brees. One with a good arm the other has great anticipation.

I am sure you love Lamaar Jackson and Deshaun Watson. To be honest two guys who threw less than 50 MPH. That equates to a lack of arm strength.

I am not a big fan of drafting Fromm but I am not going to relegate him to a career back-up. He seems to be very smart and anticipates routes extremely well. He is not going to gain a lot with his legs 5.01 makes him faster than Brady but slower than Mahomes (4.80). During the throwing drills, he didn't seem to have issues throwing to wide open guys and hitting them in stride. Surprisingly some guys did? Some of those guys are in the top half of this draft. I also do not believe he should be drafted before the 5th or 6th round. But then again I feel that way about a lot of these QB's.
Actually, I very much like what I've read about his mental makeup--and that's the most important subset of factors for a QB. My comment is just an impression not a conviction because I've only seen him play once for a half and some highlight (not lowlight) clips.

He looks heavy-legged moving around...his hands are small which often means fumbling especially in cold weather (Grossman)...Brees has big hands btw...also, his inability to drive the ball will restrict the types of throws he can make in windy SF, making him easier to defend.

No disrespect intended. Anyone good enough to play in the pros for several years even as a backup has my respect. I just don't think he has the physical tools to warrant one of the Bears' 2s. The backup or "competition" is likely to come from a FA not a draftee.
EricTighe
MVP

Fair enough
BR0D1E86
MVP

I think it's IE's argument, and I don't hate it, that if we find a backup QB in round two he's cost controlled for four years at a cheap salary as opposed to spending good money on a backup. We'd them have more money for other positions. Plus there's always the chance he's more than a backup.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:55 pm

Exactly. It boggles my mind that people want pace to draft someone significantly better than Mitch in R2 (or later) but criticize him for taking Mitch at #2. Is the irony not apparent to anyone other than me?
Every player is drafted with future potential in mind. Drafting a QB at #2 pretty much based on potential over guys with better indicators of success and then not seeing the potential realized should be an indicator that a Plan B needs to be developed, be it in the draft or FA.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
BR0D1E86
MVP

This article seems to suggest he could fall to the round 4 comp pick. That would be real nice...

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... help-bears