2020 Draft: Pre-Combine "Who Do You Love?"

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Every year there are guys I (perhaps irrationally) like as prospects better than others. Sometimes it's their story, sometimes it's the way handle a certain play, sometimes it's scrappiness and attitude on the field, whatever.

This year is no exception. :D

So before we get caught up in parsing every measurement of the Combine next week, I thought I'd list a handful of "my guys" from each side of the ball, and invite others to do the same. Not necessarily your top guys or ones you have rated higher than other people, but the guys you just really dig — the ones you'd be pleased to have contribute to the Bears.

• Malcolm Perry, wr/rb, Navy — Electric, versatile, and a service academy dude besides. Seems to be a good guy too.
  • Lynn Bowden Jr, wr, Kentucky — His brain cramp in the Belk Bowl notwithstanding, this guy is just fun to watch every time he touches the ball.
  • Matt Hennessy, g/c, Temple — Athletic guy who's solidly built. Not super powerful but tenacious as hell.
  • Cameron Dantzler, cb, Mississippi St — probably my favorite CB in this draft. Good athlete and terrific production in the SEC. I'd be positively giddy if he ends up as a Bear.
  • Rodney Clemons, s, SMU — Four year starter and a team captain who didn't play football until his senior year in high school.
Who do you love?
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
UOK
Site Admin

Couple guys from my draft who intrigued me:

EDGE Kenny Willekes, Michigan State (Bears have already met with him)
TE/FB Josiaah Deguara, Cincinnati
wab
Mod

My top 10 guys (that the Bears realistically have a shot at) in no real order...

Zack Baun, Edge, Wisconsin
KJ Hamler, WR, Penn State
Ashtyn Davis, S, California
Ben Bartch, OL, St. John
Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic
Matt Hennessy, OL, Temple
Shane Lemieux, OL, Oregon
Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State
Kenny Willekes, EDGE, Michigan State
Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Josh Uche, Edge, Michigan
Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton
Jalen Raegor, WR, TCU
Jonathan Greenard, EDGE, Florida
Last edited by BamaBear09 on Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EricTighe
MVP

Wr Antonio Gandy-Golden Liberty.
OT Trey Adams Washington if his knee checks out he is my number 1 tackle
Hoog
Player of the Month

My top ten man crushes are in no particular order:

Austin Jackson, OL
Robert Hunt, OL
Isaiah Wilson, OL
Harrison Bryant, TE
Cole Kmet, TE
Bryce Hall, CB
Anfernee Jennings, Edge
Yetur Gross-Matos, Edge
Julian Blackmon, S
Logan Wilson, LB
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Lloyd Cushenberry III (C): I was all in on Biadasz, but Cushenberry looked amazing at the Senior Bowl practices. He held his own against Javon Kinlaw at practice and would help the o-line immediately by allowing Whitehair and Daniels to play guard.

Jauan Jennings (WR): This kid is my favorite WR in the draft. I see a young Brandon Marshall without all the nuttiness. Big, physical and displays a nasty attitude going up for 50/50 balls. Unfortunately, he's not a burner and I'm afraid Nagy & Co. have their hearts set on drafting a speedster.

Khalil Tate (QB): I'm an Arizona fan, so this absolutely sways my opinion. But this kid has a big strong arm and is the best athlete in this draft at QB. Not being invited to the combine may give him some extra motivation to prove he's a QB and not a WR.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Hoog wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:02 pm
Yetur Gross-Matos, Edge
I just really like his name lol...
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:00 pm Lloyd Cushenberry III (C): I was all in on Biadasz, but Cushenberry looked amazing at the Senior Bowl practices. He held his own against Javon Kinlaw at practice and would help the o-line immediately by allowing Whitehair and Daniels to play guard.

Jauan Jennings (WR): This kid is my favorite WR in the draft. I see a young Brandon Marshall without all the nuttiness. Big, physical and displays a nasty attitude going up for 50/50 balls. Unfortunately, he's not a burner and I'm afraid Nagy & Co. have their hearts set on drafting a speedster.

Khalil Tate (QB): I'm an Arizona fan, so this absolutely sways my opinion. But this kid has a big strong arm and is the best athlete in this draft at QB. Not being invited to the combine may give him some extra motivation to prove he's a QB and not a WR.
Cushenberry is going to be a monster in the middle for someone... 34" arms on a center... 84" wingspan... once he gets those hands on you...

I like Jennings as well but sadly the Bears already have too many similar guys in Ridley and Wims... but I think Jennings attacks the ball better than Wims...
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:03 pm My top 10 guys (that the Bears realistically have a shot at) in no real order...

Zack Baun, Edge, Wisconsin
KJ Hamler, WR, Penn State
Ashtyn Davis, S, California
Ben Bartch, OL, St. John
Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic
Matt Hennessy, OL, Temple
Shane Lemieux, OL, Oregon
Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State
Kenny Willekes, EDGE, Michigan State
Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU
I like Bartch and Hamler as well.

Others include:

All three Michigan linemen--Bredeson, Runyan, and Onwenu. Logan Stenberg who the Bears are scheduled to interview tomorrow.

Mohammed Barry, ILB, Nebraska
Antoine Brooks, S, Maryland.

But best of all, I've found the best TE in the class, and he's a hidden gem from UCLA--Devin Asiasi. Best blocking TE I've seen yet. And he has some receiving skills as well:

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Asiasi had a nice productive season, yeah. Still just one year of it, which is a yellow flag to me. But in Round 5 or so I likely wouldn't mind.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Hamler put up 15 reps of 225 at 178 pounds...
wab
Mod

BamaBear09 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:42 am Hamler put up 15 reps of 225 at 178 pounds...
Yeah, that was bonkers. His combine is going to push him into R1 I believe.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Uche got big time props from Jedrick Wills, calling him the best pass rusher he faced... and Uche said that Wills was the best tackle he faced... combine bromance is on...

But I do love Uche because of his versatility... slot him next to Smith in nickel/base... move him down to rush the passer in passing situations...
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Add this dude to my list.

UOK
Site Admin

Pat O'Donnell put up 23 reps himself, so we've already got a buff punter.
docc
Head Coach

Realistically given 2 seconds as highest..
Tristan Wirfs Iowa OT
Ezra Cleveland Boise State OT

I think Mekci Becton will be long gone before we pick..

Also Khalil Tate as FA pickup..also a U of A fan..he can be Lamar Jackson type..giant arm..fast..durable..with a Major chip on his shoulder after playing on a woeful young team with undersized O line..

Randy Moss son..Thaddeus Moss TE..has injured foot needs surgery..but should be ready for camp. May fall to us..6'2 or so/ 250.. Good hands..good blocker at LSU
EricTighe
MVP

docc wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:13 am Realistically given 2 seconds as highest..
Tristan Wirfs Iowa OT
Ezra Cleveland Boise State OT

I think Mekci Becton will be long gone before we pick..

Also Khalil Tate as FA pickup..also a U of A fan..he can be Lamar Jackson type..giant arm..fast..durable..with a Major chip on his shoulder after playing on a woeful young team with undersized O line..

Randy Moss son..Thaddeus Moss TE..has injured foot needs surgery..but should be ready for camp. May fall to us..6'2 or so/ 250.. Good hands..good blocker at LSU

I personally like the upside of his stablemate Sullivan better. They Moss was the better blocker.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

AJ Dillon, rb, Boston College. In the Derrick Henry mold. Not a plodder like past BC backs.

Amik Robertson, cb, Louisiana Tech. AP 2nd team, PFF All-America Team and All-Conference USA team. A ball hawk.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.