• Jeremy Chinn - Southern Illinois
----------

SPECIAL TEAMS
  • Blake Ferguson, LS - LSU
  • Rodrigo Blankenship, K - Georgia
  • Braden Mann, P - Texas A&M
wab
Mod

I like Reed a lot if they don't go WR in round 2.

Hopkins is my top TE...I'll be interested to see his positional workouts and if he's worked on that whole "body catching" stigma that's been haunting him lately. I really like Harrison Bryant too though.

Interesting that they are looking at LB's. I wonder if they are worried market for Kwit is going to be higher than they can afford?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

They might view Davis-Gaither as more of a safety. He's certainly got the potential to be a special teams demon, at the very least.

I like Hopkins too, though I think my preference is Pinkney.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Middleguard
MVP

wab wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:11 am Interesting that they are looking at LB's. I wonder if they are worried market for Kwit is going to be higher than they can afford?
Or it might indicate the exact opposite, because Bears. But why would they be looking at Kenny Willekes?

According to BearReport they have already met with at least one of every position (including K, P, and LS) but not with any RB or FB, or any type of DL (0/1T, 3T, or 5T). This probably means they will spend all their picks on those positions.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:11 am I like Reed a lot if they don't go WR in round 2.

Hopkins is my top TE...I'll be interested to see his positional workouts and if he's worked on that whole "body catching" stigma that's been haunting him lately. I really like Harrison Bryant too though.

Interesting that they are looking at LB's. I wonder if they are worried market for Kwit is going to be higher than they can afford?
I saw somewhere that they may let Kwiat walk because the entire plan was to get Iggy and Woods ready to take over next year (as the guys besides Smith, of course)... I think I read that on twitter from a dabearsblog guy, I mean he could easily be incorrect in that thinking but if not... Kwiat playing well enough to get a decent contract may have just been an added bonus... now maybe he'll bring back a 6th round comp instead of a 7th...
UOK
Site Admin

BamaBear09 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:51 am
wab wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:11 am I like Reed a lot if they don't go WR in round 2.

I saw somewhere that they may let Kwiat walk because the entire plan was to get Iggy and Woods ready to take over next year (as the guys besides Smith, of course)... I think I read that on twitter from a dabearsblog guy, I mean he could easily be incorrect in that thinking but if not... Kwiat playing well enough to get a decent contract may have just been an added bonus... now maybe he'll bring back a 6th round comp instead of a 7th...
I don't see the Iggy thing at all. He's been an immense disappointment.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

UOK wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:49 am

I don't see the Iggy thing at all. He's been an immense disappointment.
Oh I agree, if Iggy had made any forward progress I would have figured he would have seen more of the field than KPL down the stretch... which is why they could be looking so heavily at LBs during this draft process as they were ready to let Kwait walk this off-season...
wab
Mod

Iggy is a special teams fringe player. Woods... maybe. I could see Vaughters playing inside I guess.

I think letting Kwit walk would be a mistake, but if some other team wants to throw stupid money at him, then it is what it is.
Hoog
Player of the Month

Bama Bear, I know it's not coming from you but I just don't understand the logic here from whomever posted it. Why would we develop a guy (3rd rounder) to not resign him after he finally shows he gets it, and then hope for a 6th round compensation? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of drafting correctly or building from the draft?

That being said, I really like the Logan Wilson kid. If we do let Kwait walk, I am all for drafting him.
wab
Mod

Kwit was a 4th, but yeah your overall point remains.
Hoog
Player of the Month

Wab'r, I'd take Harrison Bryant all day over Hopkins. When I watch Hopkins, I see kind of a one trick pony. Seems like just a seam guy to me who doesn't block very well. What is it that you like to have him rated as your favorite? Sell me on him. I'm not dogging you, just wondering what you see that I don't.

For me, here's the 4 I like:

Harrison Bryant
Cole Kmat, ND
Colby Parkinson, Stanford
Dalton Keene, Va Tech
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Hoog wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:49 am
Bama Bear, I know it's not coming from you but I just don't understand the logic here from whomever posted it. Why would we develop a guy (3rd rounder) to not resign him after he finally shows he gets it, and then hope for a 6th round compensation? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of drafting correctly or building from the draft?

That being said, I really like the Logan Wilson kid. If we do let Kwait walk, I am all for drafting him.
There's really no way to tell exactly where the team would be, cap wise, 4 years after a guy was drafted to be sure they could have the space to re-sign him. Also by selecting Smith in 2018, I don't really believe Pace felt that Kwiat was developing into a starter, and how many figured he would standout as much as he did once he was inserted into the lineup... I mean the guy went from 15 tackles to 75 in his third to fourth years... and would have probably seen as much action in 2019 as he did in 2018 if not for the injuries... and whatever personal thing that Roquan went through early in the season... so his development was more of a surprise than anything else...
wab
Mod

Hoog wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:53 am

Wab'r, I'd take Harrison Bryant all day over Hopkins. When I watch Hopkins, I see kind of a one trick pony. Seems like just a seam guy to me who doesn't block very well. What is it that you like to have him rated as your favorite? Sell me on him. I'm not dogging you, just wondering what you see that I don't.

For me, here's the 4 I like:

Harrison Bryant
Cole Kmat, ND
Colby Parkinson, Stanford
Dalton Keene, Va Tech
I wouldn't say he's my favorite, but I do have him as my top ranked.

Harrison Bryant, Mitchell Wilcox, and Jacob Breeland are probably my "favorites".
EricTighe
MVP

Is it just me or does it seem like we are going completely for need? God, I hate when we draft for need. I prefer drafting the best player regardless of position(I do agree to over grade QB).
Case in point we drafted Urlacher when we just signed a top FA MLB. Could you imagine if we didn't?

Pace's career so far is defined by drafting for need. Except at RB where he seems to find a stud almost yearly there. Though he did trade up last year to get Montgomery.
He drafted WHite cuz we needed a number 1 WR(hated).
He drafted Trubisky cuz we had to have a QB(actually was ok with this pick).
He drafted Floyddd cuz we had to have pass rushing OLB(hated).
He drafted Smith cuz we had to have a 3-4 MLB who could run with TE's (actually loved this pick) though I preferred Trumaine Edmunds, we will see who ends up with a better career?

If you really want an inside into Pace's mind. Find the best athlete on the board and the strongest need and that is where we will probably go. He always shoots for the stars with his first-rounder. We will see how he does with these second-round picks.
At the end of the week, we shall see if any TE checks all the boxes?
wab
Mod

EricTighe wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:33 pm Is it just me or does it seem like we are going completely for need? God, I hate when we draft for need. I prefer drafting the best player regardless of position(I do agree to over grade QB).
Case in point we drafted Urlacher when we just signed a top FA MLB. Could you imagine if we didn't?

Pace's career so far is defined by drafting for need. Except at RB where he seems to find a stud almost yearly there. Though he did trade up last year to get Montgomery.
He drafted WHite cuz we needed a number 1 WR(hated).
He drafted Trubisky cuz we had to have a QB(actually was ok with this pick).
He drafted Floyddd cuz we had to have pass rushing OLB(hated).
He drafted Smith cuz we had to have a 3-4 MLB who could run with TE's (actually loved this pick) though I preferred Trumaine Edmunds, we will see who ends up with a better career?

If you really want an inside into Pace's mind. Find the best athlete on the board and the strongest need and that is where we will probably go. He always shoots for the stars with his first-rounder. We will see how he does with these second-round picks.
At the end of the week, we shall see if any TE checks all the boxes?
This isn't right tho...

He definitely picks high ceiling athletes who are hard workers in the 1st. I don't know if it's really based on need.

They went into the 2015 draft with Jeffery and Marshall at WR. They didn't "need" a WR, although they traded Marshall later during the draft. They needed a DE, pass rusher, and a LB.

They went into the 2016 draft with a ton of money tied up in the LB position, so "need" was kind of subjective there. They absolutely and desperately needed a RT and probably a corner or a RB.

They went into the 2017 draft having just given Longneck Gingerderp a fairly large contract, so no...they absolutely didn't "need" a QB. At least not in R1. They needed a DE, a safety, WR, and again probably a corner.

They went into the 2018 draft with Trevathan and Freeman, along with Kwit and Timu. LB wasn't necessarily a "need". They desperately needed a WR...like more than anything, and a pass rusher. And probably an OT.

Pace takes hard working, high character athletes in R1. He goes for the home run.

In the subsequent rounds he most definitely takes BPA and value.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Logan Stenberg, OG, Kentucky https://twitter.com/NicholasMoreano/sta ... 034892801

I like this guy. Not as much as I like Bredeson, but I do like him--"Mr. Nasty." Playing LG here:

thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:22 pmPace takes hard working, high character athletes in R1. He goes for the home run.

In the subsequent rounds he most definitely takes BPA and value.
This.

Pace's MO has been pretty consistent draft to draft.

Elite traits on day 1 — One of: elite athleticism with Big 5 production (White, Floyd), elite Big 5 production with plus athleticism (Smith), or elite Big 5 traits (Trubisky).

Productive Big 5 athletes on day 2 — Goldman, Grasu, Whitehair, Bullard, Daniels, and Montgomery all fit this mold. Shaheen is the big outlier, but his outstanding athletic traits makes him seem more like a day 1 rules guy. Anthony Miller also probably had a day 1 grade.

Calculated risks on early day 3 — Here's where the dice are rolled: on non-FBS prospects (Hall, Cohen, Morgan, Nichols), on size/athleticism with iffy production (Bush) or production with iffy size/athleticism (Howard, Kwiatkoski, Ridley), and on production with injury risks (E. Jackson).

Lottery tickets from ~pick 150 on
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Drone7
Player of the Month

Pace's blind spot with high picks (1-3) has been undervaluing football smarts/maturity.

Whitehair, Montgomery and (to some extent) Goldman, picked up their positions quickly; the rest have struggled with different mental aspects.

*Grasu seemed to be ok mentally- he lacked functional power.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Anyone want to correlate visits to actual selections from past drafts? I lost a ton of my notes in a house move.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Yeter Gross-Matos, DE, Penn State

Can't imagine him being there when the Bears pick.
UOK
Site Admin

Updated original post with a more complete list.
G08
Hall of Famer

This is brilliant, @UOK. I'm sure you've heard this before but "please keep it up!"
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
EricTighe
MVP

People keep saying Pace drafts guys with production in the first round. Wrong. With one exception and that was Roquan Smith.
Kevin White had one good year and left. Ran a great 40. We needed a speed threat which was one of our top needs. Not to mention everyone had heard we were getting rid of Marshall. By the way Kevin White only played two years and only started one at West Virginia.
Leonard Floyd really never put together a great year at Georgia. It was and still is based on his physical ability and what everyone thinks he could be. But atleast he started 3 years.
Mitch Trubisky graded out better than all the other QB's pre-draft (yes this is true). Only though he started only one year.

So Roquan Smith is the only guy who was a stud in college for more than one year and we drafted in the first round. So show me Pace's track record of drafted proven players in round one?

One could say we still need a RT. But we signed Massie to a contract extension which means Pace didn't think we needed a RT.

The fact you brought up the fact we gave Glennon a big contract so we didn't a QB is asinine and assuming this was a joke. So we leave that one be.

We drafted Smith because we needed a MLB with speed to play in our 3-4 scheme. Pace has not and does not believe Kiatowski is starting caliper. You doubt it then explain why he still isn't signed. Timu wow really that's a name you wanna bring up.

Leonard Floyd was in college an enigma. Leonard Floyd in the pro's is still an enigma.
or
Leonard Floyd is not and never will be a good 3-4 OLB to rush the passer. Leonard Floyd will be, once he gets in a different scheme, a good to very good WILL LB in a 4-3 scheme. I am not saying Floyd can't play. I am only saying he is not what Georgia or the Bears have tried to make him. By the way, we were looking for a 3-4 rushing OLB then and are still looking for one now. Only now we are looking for one to play opposite Mack.