Hoog's Bears Mock (Post Combine)

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Hoog
Player of the Month

So, let’s start by looking at our needs: Starting RG, TE (starting caliber), starting SS, CB depth or starter, speed WR, and development QB. Some of these needs will be filled in FA but I think the depth need will still be there. Also something to look at is the BPA (best player available) which I am a fan of but I am also a fan of quantity of need, meaning I would rather hit the need unless the BPA is a unquestioned stud or game changer. IF players like: Yetur Gross-Matos, Kenneth Murray, CJ Henderson, Justin Madubuike, or Xavier McKinney fall to #43 then the game changes from the following mock draft but I just don’t see that happening.

The other thing of note is Pace’s sweet spot, which seems to be rounds 2 – 5 in past drafts. He doesn’t always hit in these rounds (Shaheen) but he is pretty successful to say the least. For this reason and the fact I don’t think there will be a true stud BPA at #43 along with I think other teams will be targeting key positions players, I would like to start with the following trades:

TRADE- Chicago trades pick #43 to the NYJ for third round picks #68 and #79, along with a 3rd round in the 2021 draft.

TRADE- Chicago trades down again by sending pick #50 and 2021 6th rounder to Baltimore for 2nd round pick #60 and 3rd round pick #92.

Pick #60 (R2)- Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic: Very good size. He’s not a one trick pony as he has been moved around a lot in the offense. His hands are is go to and they are rock solid. He is good in contested balls and has some YAC in him as well. He isn’t a true burner but has good speed to mix in with great route running. He is an improving blocker and once he adds weight he will get better. He will be a very reliable and productive TE in the NFL.

Pick #68 (R3)- Robert Hunt, OL, Louisiana LaFayette: I have seen this guy play quite a bit and he is a stud in the run game, just nasty. He was at RT this season and showed good movement for a guy his size. He is solidly built and shows good feet. Hands are really good but need to be more consistent. I was really bummed he didn’t participate in drills at the combine but he’s an underrated player. Just a big, powerful, nasty OL with good feet that I see starting at RG then going to RT due to his good feet. Starter at RG day one.

Pick #79 (R3)- Jonathan Greenard, OLB, Florida: Really good size, agility, and really long arms. He’s very versatile and can be moved around or used differently from game to game. Didn’t test all that well and I think that’s why he will fall to the third but his tape is great. Flexible, moves well, shows aggression, and good play recognition. Really good motor but it needs to be more consistent. Shows good pass rush moves and gets good leverage. Good compliment to Mack.

Pick #92 (R3)- Michael Ojemudia, CB, Iowa: Another underrated Iowa CB. He has very good size, long arms, and excellent speed/agility. He does everything solid but hasn’t been really stood out. Doesn’t get burned, covers well, but needs to “play” the ball better. That being said, he still gets INT’s and pass defenses but needs to be a bit more aggressive on the ball. Very strong, willing tackler, and all around solid game. Might not start right away but has starter potential for sure.

Pick #147 (Comp R4)- Logan Wilson, LB, Wyoming: This is one of my favorite players in this draft and I am hopeful he will be here at this pick. He has good size, very good agility, can cover, and loves to tackle. I think he has the potential to be a stud in the middle of our 3-4 defense. If we don’t sign a starter to pair next to Smith, then I think he could step right in and adjust. Regardless, you can’t go wrong here, especially with that quirky scare from Smith last year. We need better depth than Iggy. Wilson reminds me of Blake Martinez or Jordan Hicks.

Pick #164 (R5)- K’Vonn Wallace, S, Clemson: Plays intense and aggressive. Punishing tackler, who has been a great DB blitzer. Has experience at nickel and safety. Isn’t really tall but has a solid compact build and longer arms so he’s very solid. Shows good diagnosis against the run and will attack. Very good agility and quick feet. Long speed isn’t exceptional but he is very good on the ball for a safety. He had 10 pass break ups and two INT’s. Would be a very nice compliment to Jackson.

TRADE- Chicago trades both 6th round picks (#196/200) to Houston for 5th round pick approximately #170 after all shakes out.

Pick #170 (R5)- KJ Osborn, WR, Miami(FLA)- A transfer from the University of Buffalo and stepped up to the competition at Miami. He has great hands, very good speed to get deep on the outside, and very good agility to play the slot. Has played both in college. He has been a good route runner, plays physical, fights for the ball, and isn’t afraid to go over the middle. Has long arms which allow him to play taller than his 5’11” frame. Very good competitor.

Pick #234 (R7)- Tyrie Cleveland, WR, Florida- Tall, long WR, with good hops (39.5 vert). Has excellent speed to get deep. Doesn’t have a huge amount of production but has the skills and speed to try here in the 7th round. Excellent wingspan to expand his catch radius. Hands seem good and has shown good YAC. Has experience on special teams also. True deep threat but can play physical and block. Might be a good practice squad guy till we have a spot.

**All picks after the 3rd round are estimated picks due to comp and trades not being decided yet.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Thanks Hoog

I think Cleveland- WR is a Special Teamer only IMHO - Got the wrong Florida WR

I like the Logan Wilson pick (I think there are some options at Inside Linebacker this year)

Kind of hate everything about the Iowa CB pick - the player and the value - I think he will go a couple of rounds later than the 3rd IMHO