Bama's attempt at a mock...

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Using the draft network's big board and some of the analysis blurbs... and a very favorable trade but you never know... maybe someone will fall to 43 or 50 in which Mayock just needs and he makes the trade...

43. Denzel Mims - WR - Baylor - 6'3" 207lbs - 33 7/8" arms - 40 Yard - 4.38, Vert - 38.5", Broad - 131"

Notable comments from scouts - "Denzel Mims is a strong Day 2 candidate for a team looking to develop a starter at the X or Z receiver position. Mims has a catch radius the size of Mars, with unfathomable leaping ability, tremendous concentration and body control in the air, and the hand strength to snag and secure balls at the very extent of his considerable frame. While he doesn't have amazing vertical push in his routes, it is more than sufficient to threaten man coverage and regularly open up back-shoulder windows outside of the numbers."

Alternatives if he is not there... KJ Hamler, Tee Higgins, Josh Jones

Trade 50 to collect either another 2nd and 4th or a pair of 3rds and a 4th, like the Raiders have sitting there... not sure if there is someone worth it to them but let's just say they agree to trade 50 for 80,91 and 118...

80. Alohi Gilman - SS - Notre Dame - 5'11" 201lbs - 30 7/8" arms - 4.6/32/119

Notable comments from scouts - "Alohi Gilman is a promising NFL prospect who will thrive in a defense that does what Notre Dame was able to do with him — move him around. Gilman won't bring a lot of value in half field or single high, but he's an absolute stalwart in run defense, brings potential as a nickel linebacker in sub-packages and can fill a role in the early downs as a stereotypical strong safety. Look for Gilman to make an impact quickly, but only if teams use his tackling and versatility as a weapon."

Alternatives: Adam Trautman, Jonathan Greenard

91. Matthew Peart - OG/OT - 6'7" 318lbs - 36 5/8" arms - 5.06/30/113

Notable comments from scouts - "Matt Peart projects favorably as a developmental starter at the NFL level. It's easy to appreciate Peart's easy movement skills as a big man, he's a long and lean lineman with smooth feet and very good range working through the second level or on the perimeter as a blocker. There's an incubation period needed for the jump to NFL and some teams may view him as an OG — but no matter where he plays, he'll need to be coached up on his hand placement and weight distribution."

118. Anthony McFarland - RB - Maryland - 5'8" 208lbs - 4.44/29.5/116

Notable comments from scouts - "McFarland is lightning in a bottle with his springy footwork, explosive acceleration and dynamic moves. A home run threat each and every time he touches the football, McFarland thrives in space, wide zone and cutback runs. While he presents a number of challenges to opposing defenses, McFarland does have limitations in pass protection and winning in short yardage situations. He should command touches early in his career, with the upside to thrive as a complementary RB2."

144. Anfernee Jennings - Edge - Alabama - 6'2" 256lbs - 32 7/8" arms - did not participate in combine

Notable comments from scouts - "Anfernee Jennings is a next level starter and should find success as a base defensive end in an even front system. Jennings' length, rush counters and functional strength will allow him to be a persistent presence against the pass, even if his explosiveness isn't something that will allow him to serve as a game changing defender. Jennings' powerful hands, gap discipline, smart play and technique will enable him to step into an NFL defensive system and contribute early on."

163. Harrison Bryant - TE - Florida Atlantic - 6'5" 243lbs - 30 5/8 " arms - 4.73/32.5"/110" - pro comp - George Kittle...

Notable comments from scouts - "Harrison Bryant projects as a move piece tight end at the NFL level. Bryant doesn't bring appealing upside to play with his hand in the dirt, but his receiving chops offer him a clear role as a flex TE and H-back to release into routes in the passing game. Basketball fluidity in movement around the field, Offers second and third level pass-catching option, Held his own against cornerbacks when split out wide"

196. Anthony Gordon - QB - Washington St - 6'2" 205 - did not participate at combine

Notable comments from scouts - "Anthony Gordon is an exciting developmental prospect with plenty of tools at his disposal. A one year starter, Gordon needs patience and development to master timing concepts, layered reads and consistency in his work within the pocket — yet he illustrates strong arm strength, one of the more live arms in the class and a natural sense for working (and thriving) off script. He's the preferred Early Day 3 developmental QB of the 2020 NFL Draft class."

200. Alex Taylor - OT - South Carolina St - 6'8" 308lbs - 36 1/8" arms - 5.09/25/116

Notable comments from scouts - "Exceptional combination of length and athleticism will have NFL evaluators salivating over Taylor's potential, but he will need to erase any lingering doubts teams may have about his love and commitment to the game during the draft process. He will come into camp with some technical savvy to work with as a run blocker, but will need to better time his punch and improve his inside-out positioning in order to be ready to handle diversified rush attacks. He has Day 2 talent and could become a starter with additional strength and technique work."

226. Neville Clarke - CB - 6'1" 190 - 31 5/8" arms - --/35/126

Notable comments from scouts - "Nevelle Clarke serves as a developmental prospect for the pro level who has all the needed mobility, length and play-making mentality to play on the boundary in the NFL. Clarke's lack of play strength shows up throughout his game, however — which gives him a clear pathway to finding pro success: he needs to get stronger. If he's able to do so without compromising his mobility through the hips, it serves as a big win and greatly boosts his odds of becoming an NFL starter."

233. Juan Jennings - WR - Tennessee - 6'3" 215lbs - 31 5/8" arms - 4.72/29/119

Notable comments from scouts - "Jennings is a big time player. He wants the ball in the biggest moments and often comes through. His best attribute is his perseverance both to go get the ball and then what to do after it. He's not a burner that will torch you down the sidelines, but his is a determined receiver with and without the ball. Is not afraid to go full speed into defenders for blocks. Stronger than he is sudden when running routes. Has been used as an inside and outside receiver. He's a possession-type receiver with that extra fight in him."

Edit to add in pick 144 as completely left it out...
Drone7
Player of the Month

you netted extra picks...which is an approach I favor in deep drafts

--not a draftnik so not much I can contribute...but isn't Mims projected late first/higher second round by many now? course, he could fall depending on how teams evaluate WRs in such a deep class...they could really use a speed option...saw a mock with him going to the Pack in round 1

--haven't seen the safety, but in today's game, and in this defense, both safeties have to cover well...which is why I don't like Bush...I do like Trautman even though he's another Adam from a small program in Ohio :? Not real fast straight ahead but he gets out of his breaks quicker than Shaheen.

thanks for the prospects to keep in an eye on!

**I would add--this is a draft that Pace has to avoid his past inclination to take projects with higher picks...he must get early production in order to avoid scrutiny about his performance.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Were you looking at my Picnic Basket notes? Taking Mims at #43 and trading down out of second second is exactly what I did in my Basket. I guess great minds think alike. ;)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Did another mock draft in my boredom this AM.

43: R2P11 C LLOYD CUSHENBERRY LSU - I think he can start right away letting Whitehair and Daniels Play Guard.

50: R2P18 S ANTOINE WINFIELD MINNESOTA - HA HA replacement, bloodline and production is here. Bush may start right away but I think Winfield could as well.

140: R4P34 EDGE KENNY WILLEKES MICHIGAN STATE- Lots of production, high motor, tad slow but so have some other very productive pass rushers like suggs.

163: R5P17 OT HAKEEM ADENIJI KANSAS - Played G and T at senior bowl, stood out at Guard. One of the lineman will go down during the season and I think he could play, possibly making a more expensive player expendable in the future. Probably a guard with his athleticism lacking a bit, needs coaching up on footwork.

196: R6P17 TE DALTON KEENE VIRGINIA TECH - Surprise draft entry in a weak TE class. Has a ton of traits but not a ton of production. Will take at least 1/2 a season to season to get up to speed.

200: R6P21 QB TYLER HUNTLEY UTAH - Project, lots of production and talent. Lacks ideal size and accuracy.

226: R7P12 RB RODNEY SMITH MINNESOTA - BPA

233: R7P19 LB KEANDRE JONES MARYLAND - Just a pick
Drone7
Player of the Month

Thanks for the players to watch, but if they go that heavy on their much better defensive side, they better bring in much more talent on O than I expect in FA or we will see a repeat of last season's mediocre record.

I would patch the D and go full bore towards bolstering the O talent with their high picks unless a BPA defensive player slides that is an outrageous value

Pace's seat might not be warm now, but it will be hot if Trubisky doesn't take a big leap forward and the team misses the playoffs again with a bad O