Hoog's Post Combine Mock Draft

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Hoog
Player of the Month

I don't know if Pace will move around or not so I left our draft picks where they currently are:

Round 2 (43)- Robert Hunt, OL, Louisiana: Some people may think this is too early for him but he is a massive yet mobile offensive lineman who has experience on both sides, at OT and OG, and has been a stud wherever he has played. I have seen him play quite a few times and he has caught my attention every time. He has been rising up the boards every new mock I see. While Ifedi is a good signing he will be pushed to swing tackle and back up by Hunt. Eventually, he is also the replacement for Massie as I feel RT is his best NFL spot.

Round 2 (50)- Chase Claypool, WR/TE, ND: Not a name you’ve seen with us before but the guy is a huge chess piece. You can line him up all over the place. He had one of the best 10 yard splits at the combine so he can get off the line and his 40 time was really good. In his film, he can get deep and his "go up and get it" is outstanding. Put him opposite ARob and you have immediate miss match issues on defense. Since ARob didn’t get his extension (yet?) we will need an eventual replacement possibly and Claypool could be that guy. Regardless, this guy gives us another playmaker on offense.

Round 5 (163)- Mykal Walker, LB, Fresno State: Solid body with good size and length. Can get bigger and will need to from his 235lbs. to play inside. He is very versatile playing DE, OLB, ILB during games. He moves around in the defensive scheme. Very fluid and has good play recognition. Very effective tackler with a “hot” motor. Had a great combine and in the last 2 years he averaged: 91 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 5 pass defenses

Round 6 (196)- Dalton Keene, TE, VaTech: Another chess piece for Nagy to use. He has played TE, FB, and H-Back. Has good speed and agility. Good size at 6’4” 255 lbs. Very good blocker as well and has good receiving skills. Will also be a very good ST player. I think he is very underrated and has the potential to be a very valuable piece in our offense.

Round 6 (200)- Victor Johnson, OL, App State: He is an experienced starter at LT who also could play OC or LG. He is only 6’4” but has 35 ¾” arms so it adds to his length. Good fluid movement for the LT spot. Will need some time but could take over for Leno in the next year or so. At this spot, he is worth the wait.

Round 7 (226)- Amari Henderson, CB, WF: He has good height but will need to put on some weight. Has been a solid starter the last two years. Has averaged 54 tackles and 11 pass defenses, also had 4 INT this year. Only being 180 lbs. he sure shows he’s not afraid to tackle. Very good on the ball as well and has good speed for recovery.

Round 7 (233)- Nigel Warrior, S, Tennessee: Very smooth athlete who has been a solid tackler for three years (high of 83 tackles). He added a new dimension as a senior with his ball hawk skills (13 pass defenses/4 INT) in the new defensive scheme. Very athletic and is a leader. Was timed at a 4.51 forty and shows good quickness. Will make a very athletic SS with his tackling skills.

Some UDFA to look at: Eli Hanback DT/DE (UVA), Donta Thompson TE (Tex Tech), Evan Ksiezarczyk OL (Buffalo), Michael Jacquet CB (Louisiana),
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I think it's hard to mock at this point, because I'm convinced Pace will be trading down multiple times with the R2(s).
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Hoog
Player of the Month

That is his nature and its a deep draft in a lot of areas.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hoog wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:35 pm That is his nature and its a deep draft in a lot of areas.
I think if his pool of players is 8 deep at pick #43, he'll trade out of that slot and take his guy at #50.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

RichH55
Hall of Famer

I have to imagine at least one trade down in Round 2 for sure
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:35 pm I have to imagine at least one trade down in Round 2 for sure
You would think but Ryan Pace is still the GM, so you can’t rule out a trade up for a head scratching pick.
Wounded Bear
MVP

I think we need to keep in mind that although we need a Right Guard, we should be looking at the best Offensive Guards as well as Centers with possibly of moving Whitehair to the RG position. Best case scenario, I would still like to see if we could move James Daniels to the C position. That is his natural position and hopefully with a couple years under his belt, he should be able to process the necessary information to play the center position. Hopefully the Juan Castillo can work some magic in that area.

I'd love to get a road grader at RG. A couple years back, I was so badly hoping that Quenton Nelson would fall to us. What a fucking monster. He manhandles anyone whose in front of him.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Man, I wanted Quenton Nelson so bad that draft. Fucking Colts. If you want a road grader guard this year, Onwenu from Michigan is a possibility. He's no Nelson, but then who is? You can probably get Onwenu in the fifth.

I hear you on Daniels moving back to center. My hope as well.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:40 am I think we need to keep in mind that although we need a Right Guard, we should be looking at the best Offensive Guards as well as Centers with possibly of moving Whitehair to the RG position. Best case scenario, I would still like to see if we could move James Daniels to the C position. That is his natural position and hopefully with a couple years under his belt, he should be able to process the necessary information to play the center position. Hopefully the Juan Castillo can work some magic in that area.
He was a problem they felt needed solving at C and graded out fabulously at G. I'd rather leave him and try for a C again.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:32 pm
Wounded Bear wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:40 am I think we need to keep in mind that although we need a Right Guard, we should be looking at the best Offensive Guards as well as Centers with possibly of moving Whitehair to the RG position. Best case scenario, I would still like to see if we could move James Daniels to the C position. That is his natural position and hopefully with a couple years under his belt, he should be able to process the necessary information to play the center position. Hopefully the Juan Castillo can work some magic in that area.
He was a problem they felt needed solving at C and graded out fabulously at G. I'd rather leave him and try for a C again.
Really? I didn’t know that. I know the first year he played pretty well. I wasn’t crazy about him last year. Did PFF grade him out?
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:23 am
Moriarty wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:32 pm

Really? I didn’t know that. I know the first year he played pretty well. I wasn’t crazy about him last year. Did PFF grade him out?
Like the third highest rated guard after the switch I believe.
wab
Mod

I've been banging the drum for Daniels at center since he was drafted. But he's a top 5 guard (based on grades) in the NFL. So I'm cool with leaving it alone.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:55 am I've been banging the drum for Daniels at center since he was drafted. But he's a top 5 guard (based on grades) in the NFL. So I'm cool with leaving it alone.
Olin Kreutz thinks he should be at C as well, but Kyle Long said the kid is just too quiet to make the damn calls.

Nagy intimated that Whitehair will stay at C.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS