Rd2, P43: TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

Damn - I totally forgot about Dax. I'm going to guess that Harris is the odd man out if they can save $$ by moving on from him.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:01 am
BearsFanInMN wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:52 am
Did not like reaching for what recently became thought of by some as best TE in a weak TE draft.
Weak at the top. But strong in the middle.
Which I why I wonder if drafting at the top instead of midrounds was the right call.

I hear what you are saying - though this was also the 2nd Round - I tend to worry more about value for TEs when it's a 1st Rounder - Often the value is in the 2nd/3rd
wab
Mod

Horstead is a good athlete, but he's just not very big. If you look at guys who have had success in this offense, they have a certain body type. I know that's generic and unscientific...but he's got a mountain of odds to overcome.
cblaz11
MVP

I think Kmet is a safe pick

Young, high athletic traits, smart, good teammate....

His best value will be in the redzone...Huge catch radius.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:31 pm I’m a giant ND fan. And while I’m cool with this, I would have preferred Claypool due to the higher ceiling.

Still, he was a good pick for a team needing stability at TE. He’s going to be able to do everything Nagy wants from his TE.

As a player, Kmet is almost a carbon copy of Martellus Bennett.
I'm glad somebody mentioned Claypool as he jumped off the tape more than Kmet did when I watched ND. :thumbsup:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:13 am Yeah I should say Holtz, Horsted or even Dax Raymond at the U potentially.
I like Holz as a FB as well.
Yea, Holtz is definitely that guy who kinda floats between H-back, FB, U and Y. I'm not sure he's good enough at any to be a real long term player, but if he's smart enough to hold down the assignments of every spot there's probably a role on the 46 man for him each week.

Horsted or Raymond need to prove they can replace Brauneckers ST contributions to earn a role, not just by being the defacto next best U's. In a pinch I guess Kmet could slide to the U if Graham goes down (although asking a rookie TE to learn both spots could be considered a lot, even for a smart one). So it will be interesting to see how the camp dynamics go down. 5 TE isn't out of the question. And including the PS I'd guess we have at least 6 total, so it's a matter of 4 active 2 PS or 5 active 1 PS.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Can't complain when you get the/a top graded player at their position. Not sure it as as big a need as Oline, and there were some good ones still there, but given Grahams age, and no guarantee he returns to older form, this pick at least gives us the TE Nagy needs to run his offense.
wab
Mod

I think It’s possible the Bears take one more TE before this draft is over.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:05 pm I think It’s possible the Bears take one more TE before this draft is over.
Anythings possible, especially with those last 4 picks which are all probably all around 50/50 shots to even make the roster in Y1 anyways.
EricTighe
MVP

hate the pick cause Delpit was there. Funny a lot of things we are saying about Kmet were said about Shaheen as well.

Got it out of me. So the homer in me says.

Luv it.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I like the Kmet pick a lot. I watched a lot of ND football the last couple of years, and he was somehow always running free in the secondary, and was also able to run over would be tacklers. Love his hands as well. If we keep four TE's I'm guessing its Graham, Kmet, Brauneker and Horsted. Horsted is small, but he makes a great U TE, and he's a great blocker in the run game.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

EricTighe wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:52 pm hate the pick cause Delpit was there. Funny a lot of things we are saying about Kmet were said about Shaheen as well.

Got it out of me. So the homer in me says.

Luv it.
I wanted Delpit too. That said, I think a lot of people didn't like this pick because it was at 43. If we had taken Johnson at 43 and Kmet at 50 I think most people would have loved it.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:30 pm I like the Kmet pick a lot. I watched a lot of ND football the last couple of years, and he was somehow always running free in the secondary, and was also able to run over would be tacklers. Love his hands as well. If we keep four TE's I'm guessing its Graham, Kmet, Brauneker and Horsted. Horsted is small, but he makes a great U TE, and he's a great blocker in the run game.
I think Holtz makes it. Not sure I think Horsted and Braunecker both make it either. I think Horsted proves he can fill in as a core STer and makes Braunecker duplicative at his salary or they try and hide him on the PS. Harris has got a decent chance. Raymond and the rest of the lot would have to really flash to force their way on.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:33 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:30 pm I like the Kmet pick a lot. I watched a lot of ND football the last couple of years, and he was somehow always running free in the secondary, and was also able to run over would be tacklers. Love his hands as well. If we keep four TE's I'm guessing its Graham, Kmet, Brauneker and Horsted. Horsted is small, but he makes a great U TE, and he's a great blocker in the run game.
I think Holtz makes it. Not sure I think Horsted and Braunecker both make it either. I think Horsted proves he can fill in as a core STer and makes Braunecker duplicative at his salary or they try and hide him on the PS. Harris has got a decent chance. Raymond and the rest of the lot would have to really flash to force their way on.
I'm with you on Holtz. He did everything they asked him to do, including catch the ball in a couple games. My crystal ball says...

Graham
Kmet
Holtz, Braunecker, Horsted & Harris battle for spots 3 and 4

The thing about Horsted is that I think he's the fastest with the most receiver gifts among the group. He'll have to show that in TC though, especially since he's not much of a blocker.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:11 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:33 pm

I'm with you on Holtz. He did everything they asked him to do, including catch the ball in a couple games. My crystal ball says...

Graham
Kmet
Holtz, Braunecker, Horsted & Harris battle for spots 3 and 4

The thing about Horsted is that I think he's the fastest with the most receiver gifts among the group. He'll have to show that in TC though, especially since he's not much of a blocker.
I'm itching to bust out my excel sheet and throw up my first post draft depth chart! But my wife is already annoyed at the lack of things I got done today.
GSH
MVP

Im personally stoked for this kid, being a local dude and a bears fan. living the dream and its just awesome.

I personally really like Horsted too, shown some brief flashes, i think we'll be ok at TE this year.

Still worried about the OL but lets go Kmet the frog!
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

GSH wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:27 pm Im personally stoked for this kid, being a local dude and a bears fan. living the dream and its just awesome.
I couldn't agree more. He's super easy to root for.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:31 am
wab wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:31 pm I’m a giant ND fan. And while I’m cool with this, I would have preferred Claypool due to the higher ceiling.

Still, he was a good pick for a team needing stability at TE. He’s going to be able to do everything Nagy wants from his TE.

As a player, Kmet is almost a carbon copy of Martellus Bennett.
I'm glad somebody mentioned Claypool as he jumped off the tape more than Kmet did when I watched ND. :thumbsup:
Claypool also dropped 10.7 percent of his catchable targets according to PFF. And not everyone can fix drop issues.

Not everyone would have been happy with that pick either.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

dplank
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:28 am
Thanks for posting this, super psyched@!@!@
\
:-x :party:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

What's really interesting about Kmet is that he would spend his springs playing baseball. So he never dedicated himself to football full time. And he's the best TE in the draft already. Maybe his ceiling is even higher than I originally thought from watching his tape. :thumbsup:

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:34 pm
Mikefive wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:31 am I'm glad somebody mentioned Claypool as he jumped off the tape more than Kmet did when I watched ND. :thumbsup:
Claypool also dropped 10.7 percent of his catchable targets according to PFF. And not everyone can fix drop issues.

Not everyone would have been happy with that pick either.
Fair enough. I just watched 2 game tapes and didn't see that in Claypool. But it's a small sample size.

But on that subject, drops were Mooney's problem. :?

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:44 pm What's really interesting about Kmet is that he would spend his springs playing baseball. So he never dedicated himself to football full time. And he's the best TE in the draft already. Maybe his ceiling is even higher than I originally thought from watching his tape. :thumbsup:
What Sims said is absolutely correct. He carries 6'6" and 262 lbs effortlessly. Give him an offseason of NFL conditioning and nutrition, and he will be 270 and an absolute monster. I don't think that a Kittle or Kelce comparison is out of the question, it's just that Kmet is bigger. Probably not as fast as Kittle though.

Do all awesome TE's last names have to start with K?
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:42 am Horstead is a good athlete, but he's just not very big. If you look at guys who have had success in this offense, they have a certain body type. I know that's generic and unscientific...but he's got a mountain of odds to overcome.
He reminds me a bit of poor man's Dallas Clark. I get the Clark was really good in college and a first rounder. But in terms of being just a really excellent receiver primarily and a smart guy more than an intimidating athlete. I don't expect him to ever be a serious in-line blocker. But if he is as competitive as he seems to me, maybe he'll put in the work to build the strength and learn the role. It is the acrobatic catches that sold me on giving him another season. I think we'll know how it works out in just a few months. If he's been grinding away in isolation and doing the work, he'll look more like a TE this season. If he doesn't, there's no reason to expect he ever will.

Those catches, though...
IE
Hall of Famer

The thing that excites me about Kmet is we still really don't know what he'll turn into. He could be a Rudolph and be "just ok, really", or he could turn Gronk or Ertz-like. All similar size. He's got all the physical makeup. It's just all about what's in his head and his heart, and how competitive is he really? Most of these amazing TEs became far better in the pros than they ever were in college, because there was something IN them that stepped up. And of course, the situation with the QB and offense is a huge part of it. It will be great to see what Kmet is made of.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:44 pm What's really interesting about Kmet is that he would spend his springs playing baseball. So he never dedicated himself to football full time. And he's the best TE in the draft already. Maybe his ceiling is even higher than I originally thought from watching his tape. :thumbsup:
I guess they offered to let him focus on baseball, but he said it wasn't fair to the football team. So he went to both sets of spring practices and never missed a single one. This kid has the drive to be great. I'm starting to love this pick.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

G08
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:28 am
This was awesome -- thank you!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Hahaha.... that's from the Packers Youtube account. I wonder how long the video stays up before the comments get it taken down.