Rd7 P226: OL Arlington Hambright, Colorado

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Discuss
wab
Mod

I feel like Pace should’ve just donated both 7th round picks.
makaur
Pro Bowler

wab wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:02 pm I feel like Pace should’ve just donated both 7th round picks.
I actually thought he was going to trade back and take the best available parking attendant.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Well its obvious that although we, and every other NFL expert out there, thought OL was a priority for the Bears, Pace clearly did not.
Middleguard
MVP

To the NFL's virus fund? Can these guys nurse?
UOK
Site Admin

I don’t want to judge a class, but on a surface level, this feels like a whole lotta nothing.

I hope in coming years I can look back at this and feel stupid.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Well if he's no good at football, he's always around for the civil war reenactment
makaur
Pro Bowler

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:04 pm Well its obvious that although we, and every other NFL expert out there, thought OL was a priority for the Bears, Pace clearly did not.
Which is very concerning.

You can't just blame Harry and say the new guy will coach them up and we'll be better. You have to create competition. Obviously the guys on the roster weren't doing that so you have to get younger players in there. Ryan Pace not understanding this has me very, very worried.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:06 pm I don’t want to judge a class, but on a surface level, this feels like a whole lotta nothing.

I hope in coming years I can look back at this and feel stupid.
It’s very much a two player draft. I do like Gipson and Vildor... but their contributions will be minimal for the foreseeable future.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I agree it's a two player draft, but that should have been expected considering we only had 2 picks before the middle of the 5th round. And I'm happy with those two picks, so all good IMO. Surprised we didn't grab a RB.
Middleguard
MVP

dplank wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:31 pm Surprised we didn't grab a RB.
The benefits of self-scouting. Pace heard the whispers that he always drafts a RB.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:31 pm I agree it's a two player draft, but that should have been expected considering we only had 2 picks before the middle of the 5th round. And I'm happy with those two picks, so all good IMO. Surprised we didn't grab a RB.
Depending on what happens with UDFA, I guess we should expect more of Patterson at RB.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:34 pm
dplank wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:31 pm Surprised we didn't grab a RB.
The benefits of self-scouting. Pace heard the whispers that he always drafts a RB.
An elegant smoke screen
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:31 pm I agree it's a two player draft, but that should have been expected considering we only had 2 picks before the middle of the 5th round. And I'm happy with those two picks, so all good IMO. Surprised we didn't grab a RB.
I won't go as far to call it a 2 player draft, but yea, all these day 3 picks definitely have to be put into context.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

This is a solid pick for the 7th round. He’s got good size and athleticism.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

According to the Twitter, Pace said he will be a G.
UOK
Site Admin

The two seventh round linemen seem to be practice squad fodder for the Bears to call up later in the season once the line has inevitably broken down.
GSH
MVP

I think with Juan Castillo coming in as the new OL coach, the bears probably feel like they actually have talent at the OL and it was coaching issues last year that can now be fixed under the new regime. Maybe?
dplank
Hall of Famer

That was the logic when we hired Harry Heistand wasn't it? Did he forget how to coach OL? He was coming back, best OL coach ever, all that jazz? At some point you gotta look at the players. You have to invest in the position. Free agency, trades, or spend high draft picks, otherwise you aren't going to improve.

Maybe Castillo will mesh better with the talent we have, and a change in running attack scheme will go along with that and we see improvement. I dunno, I'm hoping. If I were Pace's boss though, I would not find that an acceptable answer.

Our new TE will help with the blocking as well.
wab
Mod

At some point, with the money you’ve paid, you are kinda stuck.

Given the Ifedi and Spriggs signings and the two dudes they drafted, it’s clear they absolutely want big athletic guys.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea, I get that, but it's a bogus argument IMO. We still made a choice not to address this problem. Maybe it was the right one, but we 100% had a choice. Even though everyone kept saying that we had no cap room to make any big moves, we still did didn't we? We signed Quinn to a huge deal, according to most Bears fans that wasn't going to happen because of our cap situation. Rather than getting a guy like Trent Williams or Jack Conklin, we chose to spend that money on Robert Quinn instead. I'm stoked to have Quinn, and maybe ultimately it'll be proven to be the right move, but we clearly had the money to address OL if we chose to do so. And then again in the draft, we chose TE and CB over viable OL talent still on the board in the 2nd.

I understand the concept of sunk cost and how caps work. I just value the OL more than the Bears appear to. I like both of our 2nd round picks and not trying to be a negative nanny here at all, but the whole 'we can't afford to invest more in our OL' argument just doesn't hold water. Could have made the same argument about our LB position considering how much money we have tied up there, no? Throwing a couple 7th round picks at projects isn't a good plan for addressing our biggest team weakness.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:20 am Yea, I get that, but it's a bogus argument IMO. We still made a choice not to address this problem. Maybe it was the right one, but we 100% had a choice. Even though everyone kept saying that we had no cap room to make any big moves, we still did didn't we? We signed Quinn to a huge deal, according to most Bears fans that wasn't going to happen because of our cap situation. Rather than getting a guy like Trent Williams or Jack Conklin, we chose to spend that money on Robert Quinn instead. I'm stoked to have Quinn, and maybe ultimately it'll be proven to be the right move, but we clearly had the money to address OL if we chose to do so. And then again in the draft, we chose TE and CB over viable OL talent still on the board in the 2nd.

I understand the concept of sunk cost and how caps work. I just value the OL more than the Bears appear to. I like both of our 2nd round picks and not trying to be a negative nanny here at all, but the whole 'we can't afford to invest more in our OL' argument just doesn't hold water. Could have made the same argument about our LB position considering how much money we have tied up there, no? Throwing a couple 7th round picks at projects isn't a good plan for addressing our biggest team weakness.
I mean, I don’t know what to tell you dude.
dplank
Hall of Famer

lol...i'm just bitching man...Pace hasn't invested in our OL at the level I think is necessary since he's been our GM. When he has invested, he's missed (he put too much money into Leno and Massie). And I think it's holding our franchise back. Angelo didn't invest there either, not sure what the deal is. Emery at least took Long, one shining moment in a sea of turds.

But my top line bitch is...other franchises prioritize OL and QB more than we do. Couple that thought with the fact that we're one of the worst NFL franchises over the last 20 years or so (bottom 10), and I get frustrated sometimes when I see us doing the same effing thing AGAIN. We ignore Hurts and Eason, hell we could have picked up that kid from Wash St that a lot of folks here love in the 5th friggin round! Nope, no QB's...We pass on acquiring a potential HOF LT in Trent Williams for a future 3rd rd pick because we've sunk too much money into the position already? Or sign a guy like Conklin who would dominate the right side for us for the next 5 or years. But despite having Mack and the newly resigned Trevathan, no one bats an eye at us overloading our spend on LB...of course, it's Chicago! We don't need no stinkin offense! And then the topper, we ignore OL the entire draft then throw two meaningless picks at it in the 7th, neither are likely to make the team. Just frustrating. And so I bitch here, cause I got no where's else to go! My wife doesn't give a damn lol...smart girl.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:41 am
dplank wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:20 am Yea, I get that, but it's a bogus argument IMO. We still made a choice not to address this problem. Maybe it was the right one, but we 100% had a choice. Even though everyone kept saying that we had no cap room to make any big moves, we still did didn't we? We signed Quinn to a huge deal, according to most Bears fans that wasn't going to happen because of our cap situation. Rather than getting a guy like Trent Williams or Jack Conklin, we chose to spend that money on Robert Quinn instead. I'm stoked to have Quinn, and maybe ultimately it'll be proven to be the right move, but we clearly had the money to address OL if we chose to do so. And then again in the draft, we chose TE and CB over viable OL talent still on the board in the 2nd.

I mean, I don’t know what to tell you dude.
Exactly my response as well. The only place we were bad last year was RG and we brought in 2 guys in FA who could play RG better than what we had in 2019. So to say we didn't address it at all is simply incorrect.

Now is that going to make a night and day difference? No, but in 2018 we weren't bemoaning a horrible OL. Of course, our OTs aren't great. But there is that whole sunk cost thing.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Two 2nd round picks who have panned out and a 3rd who has not seems like a substantial investment to me.

But YMMV.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
dplank
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:10 pm Two 2nd round picks who have panned out and a 3rd who has not seems like a substantial investment to me.

But YMMV.
Look at the last two super bowl teams and what they invest in theirs. Multiple first rounders on both of those rosters, high ones. Oh, and no surprise they were smart enough to nab Williams as well.

So call it what you want, but comparatively we don’t invest as much and it’s not close.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:03 pm
Middleguard wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:34 pm

An elegant smoke screen
Is that like jumbo shrimp? lol
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I really like his name. Knowing nothing about him, I assume he grew up on Cape Cod and did regatta over the summer.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Haha.... like he always has some Grey Poupon on him.