2021 - General NFL Draft Discussion

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

With Big10/Pac conferences canceling seasons - and players in the SEC/ACC/Big12 opting out to prepare for the draft - it appears as though the 2021 NFL Draft season has already started.

What positions do you expect to be the Bears biggest areas of need?

What college players are you most interested in seeing play - and what players (whose season was canceled) do you want to see testing numbers from?

Do the Bears need to draft a QB in the first 2 rounds?

This looks like a pretty good draft for 1st round OT's with Sewell, Cosmi, Leatherwood, Little, and Radunz - do the Bears look to replace Leno/Massie?

Who is 'your guy' right now?
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
wab
Mod

The Bears are stuck with Massie for at least one more year. It will be interesting to see what happens at RG. Will Ifedi play well enough to stay? Is he really that great of a fit? The Bears can pretty easily get out from under Leno's contract after the season, so if his biggest contribution is "he doesn't get hurt" then I could see them replacing him.

QB is an easy answer obviously. I think we will have that answer by mid-season.

Will Montgomery take the lead back role? Does Cohen return? Will the Bears need another WR? DE?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

It's a good draft for OT at a good time for the Bears.
But QB need could very well intrude and override.

wab wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:17 am The Bears are stuck with Massie for at least one more year. It will be interesting to see what happens at RG. Will Ifedi play well enough to stay? Is he really that great of a fit? The Bears can pretty easily get out from under Leno's contract after the season, so if his biggest contribution is "he doesn't get hurt" then I could see them replacing him.

In 2021, Massie is a 9.3M cap hit, but only 2.6M to cut
Leno is 11.2 to keep and 5.1 to cut

Both are about the same savings, if you ax them.
But LT is harder & more expensive to restaff, 2.6 to go away is a little easier to swallow, Massie was outplayed by Lucas, and with Leno improving in the second half of 2019 and being younger, I have higher hopes for his 2020.

All in all, I'm looking more forward to Massie going.
(Although you could certainly put the draftee at RT in 2021, then move to LT down the line.)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I was excited in 2018, great record out of the gate, no 1st round pick anyway because of the Mack trade so I wasn’t as draft obsessed as normal. 2019 no 1st or 2nd picks. This year it’s back to the norm for the Bears, not great enough to make a deep playoff run with that O, several critical needs including QB and OL but a full complement of picks.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
G08
Hall of Famer

If this season continues as it has been, I'd be surprised if the Bears do not draft a QB in the first round.

I can see us go OT/WR with our first round pick and then trade back up into the first if Mac Jones or Kyle Trask is falling.

Right now my gut thinks we're going to trade our 2022 1st round pick to move up and grab whomever is available of Lawrence/Fields/Lance/Wilson. Wilson's my guy :D
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

Man. I kinda like Mac Jones. Ive been watching a lot of his stuff. I went in looking for reasons to not like him, but dude has serious poise in the pocket and his accuracy is amazing.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:59 pm Man. I kinda like Mac Jones. Ive been watching a lot of his stuff. I went in looking for reasons to not like him, but dude has serious poise in the pocket and his accuracy is amazing.
There are certainly reasons to not like him -- he's not much of an athlete, he's inexperienced, and his arm is pretty meh. But you've listed some really positive traits.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

Right now, my three round wishlist is:
1: Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
2: Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech
3: Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Zack Wilson has the most arrogant punchable face I've ever seen. He could be saving babies from a burning building and part of me hopes he trips.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:03 pm Zack Wilson has the most arrogant punchable face I've ever seen. He could be saving babies from a burning building and part of me hopes he trips.
Is it because he's handsome and he makes you feel funny feelings in your "no no" place?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Nope. He looks like a guy who has GHB in his pocket just in case.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:25 pm Image

Nope. He looks like a guy who has GHB in his pocket just in case.
He looks like the actor they'd hire to play the hot shot QB for a "Friday Night Lights" reboot (including looking young enough to pass as a High Schooler)