2021 QB Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... 3-overall/

Man, i feel like if mac jones goes over fields at 3... that'll be one of those mitch over deshaun/mahomes-esque mistakes.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:47 am I'd still love for the Bears to land Fields... I just don't think moving into the top 5-8 to do it is all that wise.
Same, and same. :toast:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:47 am I'd still love for the Bears to land Fields... I just don't think moving into the top 5-8 to do it is all that wise.
Mr Run it out the back of the Endzone is doing the dirty work. Then backing away from it after planting seeds. That's how it works. Maybe Casserly is smarter than I gave him credit for, knowing the built-in dynamics and power of inevitable 3rd hand innuendo ... or maybe he's just a part of it - looking at his Twitter comments about Jones and Fields... it is just so... classic. But maybe Fields is going to slip. Maybe so is Lance. Because when stuff is repeated in public it becomes true in some people's minds even though it isn't remotely true. But it would still shock me if one fell to near 20. I'm talking about slipping 5-10 picks (which is still huge).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -comments/
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:52 pm
Mr Run it out the back of the Endzone is doing the dirty work. Then backing away from it after planting seeds. That's how it works. Maybe Casserly is smarter than I gave him credit for, knowing the built-in dynamics and power of inevitable 3rd hand innuendo ... or maybe he's just a part of it - looking at his Twitter comments about Jones and Fields... it is just so... classic. But maybe Fields is going to slip. Maybe so is Lance. Because when stuff is repeated in public it becomes true in some people's minds even though it isn't remotely true. But it would still shock me if one fell to near 20. I'm talking about slipping 5-10 picks (which is still huge).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -comments/
Orlovsky is a tool, but I have zero doubts teams put "stuff" out there to see if they can get a guy to drop. There's zero credible scouting reports that mention his work ethic. The consistent knock on him is that he's fairly inexperienced and too quick to run.

I don't see how the guy who petitioned the Big10 to have a season, and then went out there and killed it...has a problem with hard work. And most scouting services/departments worth anything won't see it either.
IE
Hall of Famer

Well, I agree. He sold me on his leadership on New Years Day. That's the last thing I needed to see from him. I hope you're right. I just have this tendency to side-eye these "late risers" that elevate after the season is over based on rationale and not something somebody put on the field.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Carolina has Darnold. Denver is rumored to be investigating getting Teddy Bridgewater in a trade. This eliminates 2 teams from needing a 1st round QB and possibly opening their draft positions open to a trade if a QB drops.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

Grizzled wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:05 pm Carolina has Darnold. Denver is rumored to be investigating getting Teddy Bridgewater in a trade. This eliminates 2 teams from needing a 1st round QB and possibly opening their draft positions open to a trade if a QB drops.
Well Bears got their QB this off-season so we can cross them off the sheet as well...
AC 46Blitz
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

DevilsProspect wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:59 pm
Grizzled wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:05 pm Carolina has Darnold. Denver is rumored to be investigating getting Teddy Bridgewater in a trade. This eliminates 2 teams from needing a 1st round QB and possibly opening their draft positions open to a trade if a QB drops.
Well Bears got their QB this off-season so we can cross them off the sheet as well...
Excuse me while I get sick.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:30 pm Well, I agree. He sold me on his leadership on New Years Day. That's the last thing I needed to see from him. I hope you're right. I just have this tendency to side-eye these "late risers" that elevate after the season is over based on rationale and not something somebody put on the field.
This is fair.

That said, often guys rise late when draft Twitter starts to hear the name from multiple sources. So it's frequently the draft community catching up with NFL assessments.

Of course there's also stuff put out to see if someone slides to a particular team, but I have a lot of skepticism that is ever effective. Maybe it is, and I don't know. But I have a lot of doubt it works.

I'm with @wab though, in that legit the only guy I'd trade up in this draft for is Justin Fields. That's it, that's my list.

I'd gladly take Darrisaw or Lance if either fell to 20, but wouldn't trade up for them. I'm lukewarm on Jenkins at 20, but I'd reluctantly pull the trigger if I couldn't find a good trade down. It's higher than I'd like to take someone like Jenkins, a guy who is a decent but not elite athlete. His pass pro drops look too stiff and upright to me, and I wonder if he's not better off inside at guard -- though I think, like Alex Leatherwood, you've got to try him outside first.
Last edited by thunderspirit on Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KFFL refugee.

G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i think technically there are an infinite amount of scenarios.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:47 am i think technically there are an infinite amount of scenarios.
https://media.giphy.com/media/WPtzThAEr ... source.gif
KFFL refugee.