2021 QB Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I know that the draft is ages away, and I know we are kicking off the Big Dick Nick era, but now that Trubisky is in the rear view, I started to look at QB's available in the draft...because Ideally the Bears won't screw up the next guy like they did Mitch and will let him sit behind Foles for a year or two.

Except... the list isn't very inspiring for the next year or two.

2021:
Trevor Lawrence, Clemson, 6'6 225
Justin Fields, Ohio State, 6'3 225

These two probably go 1-2 or at a minimum top 5. The Bears will have zero shot at these guys.

Trey Lance North Dakota State 6'3 225

Lance is a bit of a wild card, because he should go in R1...somewhere between 10-20. Bears could have a shot, but every concern I read about him is exactly the same concern we have had with Mitch - half field reads, doesn't particularly understand defenses or the nuances of the position, messy mechanics, and inconsistent accuracy even in a clean pocket.

Jamie Newman, Georgia, 6'4 230
Kyle Trask, Florida, 6'5 235

Newman and Trask are those kinda prospects that should go in the top half of R2, but one could maybe sneak into the bottom of R1.

Newman has all the leadership stuff you look for, but again...weird mechanics and spotty deep ball accuracy. He also forces a lot of throws. He does look like he fits the Bears offense pretty well though. I really like Trask. He reminds me a little bit of Carson Wentz. Big arm and reasonably athletic. One of his better traits is his ability to move defenders with his eyes. I think he's only going to get better. BUT...like Mitch...he's got limited starting experience. He wasn't even a starter in high school.... he didn't start a game until 2019. He'd definitely need to sit.

Brock Purdy, Iowa State, 6'0 200

Purdy gets compared a lot to Drew Brees. He's undersized but can move and has nice accuracy. He has a really good feel for the game and knows where his guys are going to be. But... he has kind of a noodle arm. So that's a problem.

Spencer Sanders, Oklahoma State, 6'1 200
Sam Ehlinger , Texas, 6'3 230
Malik Cunningham, Louisville, 6'1 200
KJ Costello, Mississippi State, 6'5 225
Kellen Mond, Texas A&M, 6'2 215
Tanner Morgan, Minnesota, 6'2 215
D'Eriq King, Miami, 5'10 200

These guys all fall somewhere between R2 and R5 at this point, and all have warts of some kind.

Sanders was a big score for OSU after being a huge recruiting win from Texas. He just hasn't really put it all together.

Cunningham just looks like an athlete trying to play QB.

Costello would be a top prospect if he didn't make absolutely awful decisions at times.

Ehlinger is an incredible athlete but he's not a good "passer" at all. Tim Tebow-y

Mond has some real skills. He reminds me of Ryan Tannehill. He just doesn't seem to process things quickly and holds onto the ball longer than you'd like. There's no real urgency in his game and he takes an absolute pounding because of it.

Morgan is interesting. He's smallish and doesn't impress physically, but he's smart as hell and tough as nails.

King is the Great Value version of Kyler Murray. Just without the arm.

There's other guys, but these are the ones I've paid the most attention to...
UOK
Site Admin

Are any of them Taysom Hill-esque? I feel like that's the ultimate Nagy plaything.
G08
Hall of Famer

I kind of hate that I have to dive back into QB prospects again... on the other hand, should make for a 'quick' off-season.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:16 pm I kind of hate that I have to dive back into QB prospects again... on the other hand, should make for a 'quick' off-season.
Same. Needs are going to be plentiful. QB, OT/G, DT, LB, maybe WR and RB.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I think Trask at 20-30 sounds perfect right now.
Keep Foles probably 1 more year and let Trask sit.
Then you have 4 cost controlled years to work with.

But when you have just 1 target, all it takes is 1 team to like them even better.
And I'd worry about him playing himself higher than 20, too.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Z Bear
MVP

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/06/dustin-crum/

I am taking this dude in the 2nd. Check out the accuracy on his deep throws, his WRs never break stride. 69% completions, 20 TDs to 2 INTs, 700 yard rushing. 6"3", 200 with decent speed, this kid is made for Nagy.
IE
Hall of Famer

After reading about Trey Lance, he's my guy. I don't want the Bears to have to "fix" or "train up" a QB and do another "three years of patience while he works on his mechanics because he's not a natural" thing. I agree with Hub's theory that NFL QBs either "have it" or they don't. I don't give a shit about a few bad mechanics. I think a QB is either a baller, or he isn't.

Lance is supposed to be a natural QB with a great intuitive feel for the game. A big kid who can also run (e.g. Andrew Luck-ish). Wasn't trained to be a QB but became one because he's good. I've read he can make all the throws & has natural great accuracy including deep.

The risk is I think he only plays maybe a game or two this year. But I'll tell you what I think about that.... I think the Bears need to take the risk and potential BENEFIT of this kid not playing and adding to his resume and bubbling up into the top 4 picks where the Bears will not be. Invest the pick and take him - he is not Mitch Trubisky - he is the opposite. Reality is, Mitch never earned a starting job since maybe high school. He was beaten out but then got the job through attrition. Think about that. While this kid earned starting jobs nobody thought he'd have because he has "it". And he has a chip on his shoulder for being overlooked (by Minnesota). That's what you want -someone who wants to show everybody.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:00 am After reading about Trey Lance, he's my guy. I don't want the Bears to have to "fix" or "train up" a QB and do another "three years of patience while he works on his mechanics because he's not a natural" thing. I agree with Hub's theory that NFL QBs either "have it" or they don't. I don't give a shit about a few bad mechanics. I think a QB is either a baller, or he isn't.

Lance is supposed to be a natural QB with a great intuitive feel for the game. A big kid who can also run (e.g. Andrew Luck-ish). Wasn't trained to be a QB but became one because he's good. I've read he can make all the throws & has natural great accuracy including deep.

The risk is I think he only plays maybe a game or two this year. But I'll tell you what I think about that.... I think the Bears need to take the risk and potential BENEFIT of this kid not playing and adding to his resume and bubbling up into the top 4 picks where the Bears will not be. Invest the pick and take him - he is not Mitch Trubisky - he is the opposite. Reality is, Mitch never earned a starting job since maybe high school. He was beaten out but then got the job through attrition. Think about that. While this kid earned starting jobs nobody thought he'd have because he has "it". And he has a chip on his shoulder for being overlooked (by Minnesota). That's what you want -someone who wants to show everybody.
I just don't think he'll be there when the Bears pick.
wab
Mod

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:14 am
IE wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:00 am After reading about Trey Lance, he's my guy. I don't want the Bears to have to "fix" or "train up" a QB and do another "three years of patience while he works on his mechanics because he's not a natural" thing. I agree with Hub's theory that NFL QBs either "have it" or they don't. I don't give a shit about a few bad mechanics. I think a QB is either a baller, or he isn't.

I just don't think he'll be there when the Bears pick.
I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Even if he's more natural though - I'm even more sour on 1-year starters than I was before.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

:evilgrin: I hope he plays poorly and ends up going at the end of the first round. Same kid; bigger chip.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

As a Florida guy, I’d LOVE to see Trask come in and get us over the hump. If we’re picking late, he makes sense. If we go elsewhere, I wouldn’t hate Costello maybe late third, considering we don’t have a fourth.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

He opted out of the rest of the season, fwiw.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:40 pm He opted out of the rest of the season, fwiw.
Who did??
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Trey Lance.

This should be a yearly thread for this team.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:36 pm This should be a yearly thread for this team.
I thought it was
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
WP.1
Player of the Month

"out of nowhere". bad 2019 season 11-9 TD/Int (fracturing his right thumb midseason 4x missed games).

BYU Zach Wilson 6-3/210

2018 7 games 65.9% 1578Y 12-3 TD/Int
107-136 78.7% 12-1 TD/Int 328.2 Y/G Sack 4 - Rush 32 100Y 3.1 Y/A 6 TD

Yesterday QB play of NFL caliber vs. Houston.

2018 Bowl game
18-18 317Y 4-0 TD/Int
8-)

One negativ arm strength appear not that good. From some highligths 2 underthrown ball on 40-50y pass. so wide out hesitate.
This season only Int the target wide out trip over DBs legs. catchable pass.
IE
Hall of Famer

WP.1 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:32 am "out of nowhere". bad 2019 season 11-9 TD/Int (fracturing his right thumb midseason 4x missed games).

BYU Zach Wilson 6-3/210

2018 7 games 65.9% 1578Y 12-3 TD/Int
107-136 78.7% 12-1 TD/Int 328.2 Y/G Sack 4 - Rush 32 100Y 3.1 Y/A 6 TD

Yesterday QB play of NFL caliber vs. Houston.

2018 Bowl game
18-18 317Y 4-0 TD/Int
8-)

One negativ arm strength appear not that good. From some highligths 2 underthrown ball on 40-50y pass. so wide out hesitate.
This season only Int the target wide out trip over DBs legs. catchable pass.
Dude... please do everyone a favor, and try to write your posts in a way that they are more easily read & understood. They're just a mess. The stat lines with no explanations, the incomplete sentences.

What are you trying to say? Some people (myself included) use too many words - but the point is to communicate & not post puzzles that people need to figure out.
wab
Mod

Zach Wilson is really starting to climb boards. To the point people are talking about him going before Lance.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:27 pm Zach Wilson is really starting to climb boards. To the point people are talking about him going before Lance.
I am in love with this kid. Reminds me a shit-ton of Aaron Rodgers.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:40 pm
wab wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:27 pm Zach Wilson is really starting to climb boards. To the point people are talking about him going before Lance.
Yeah, the similarities are down right scary.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:47 pm
G08 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:40 pm

Yeah, the similarities are down right scary.
He doesn't have Aaron's arm but he's mobile and can throw from a multitude of platforms. Fun kid to watch... I hope we get him but of course, we won't :lol:
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'm a fan of Chase Garbers at Cal.

(Which means, of course, he's likely to bust.)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Another guy whom may climb is Tanner Morgan.
He was good last year,not great. He showed ability to read defenses. Decent all around attributes. I doubt he comes out as a junior.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

They have to draft one. Even if it's a lotto ticket.
G08
Hall of Famer

Mac Jones seems decent
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I’d like to see the Bears snag a guy in the Russell Wilson-Kyler Murray mood, with high accuracy, good deep ball ability, and mobility to keep defenses on their toes. I have to admit, though, that I’m impressed by Joe Burrow so far - highly accurate, few interceptions.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:59 pm I’d like to see the Bears snag a guy in the Russell Wilson-Kyler Murray mood, with high accuracy, good deep ball ability, and mobility to keep defenses on their toes. I have to admit, though, that I’m impressed by Joe Burrow so far - highly accurate, few interceptions.
That’s a lot easier said than done.
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:59 pm I’d like to see the Bears snag a guy in the Russell Wilson-Kyler Murray mood, with high accuracy, good deep ball ability, and mobility to keep defenses on their toes. I have to admit, though, that I’m impressed by Joe Burrow so far - highly accurate, few interceptions.
Well no kidding. So would like 80% of the NFL.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

There’s still enough GMs and teams that get excited about the classic drop back pocket passer. Great if you can find one but increasingly rare, lots of colleges going to offenses with dual threat guys.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.