My Trey Lance conundrum.

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Trey Lance is a hell of a prospect, and everyone seems to think he's on his way to Chicago, but I have some questions. Not about him, but about Pace/Nagy. I don't think they want a running quarterback.

First, they didn't meet with Deshaun Watson pre-draft.
Second, Mitch's barely ran at all in '19 in comparison to '18, and I think that was Nagy's influence.
And third, they chose pocket passer Nick Foles over the running Cam Newton. Yea Cam had surgery, and Nagy has history with Foles, but still.

Am I crazy?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Well, I'm not completely sure you're right, but, yes, it's entirely possible they feel that way.

But it's also possible:
They keep Foles around a while and don't draft another (or a high one) for 1-2 more years.
Pace and/or Nagy isn't around when that draft happens
They have no other good options and have to go with a runner, despite their preferences. Legit QB prospects are scare and get snapped up aggressively.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Explain how Lance gets to the Bears?

To me, that's crazy.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
wab
Mod

You think the Bears will be drafting in the top 10-12?

Also, there’s a reason that Pace/Nagy didn’t meet with Watson before the draft. It’s because Nagy was still in Kansas City.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

While I like what I have seen out of Lance last year, I just do not see him being the top QB people are thinking he will be. He has had one year of starting under his belt to date. He is a helluva an athlete at the moment and a decent QB. I think people are putting the Lamar Jackson comparison on him on this moment. I don't want him in Chicago because they have mentored no QBs, ever!!!

The level of competition he has played doesn't bother me. There have been plenty of FCS guys that have had really good careers in the NFL. He is after all in the best conference in the FCS.
wab
Mod

Unless the bottom falls completely out...think Kyle Trask, Dustin Crum, KJ Costello etc.

QB is a concern, especially if Foles opts out.

So is OT, WR (assuming Robinson walks), DL, ILB, and OG. Maybe SS too.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Lance leaving school to get ready for the 2021 draft. Big mistake in my book. He is not a generational talent and needs another year, at least, of seasoning. I don't want the Bears sniffing anywhere around this kid.

https://www.theringer.com/2020/10/6/215 ... b-prospect
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:53 am Lance leaving school to get ready for the 2021 draft. Big mistake in my book. He is not a generational talent and needs another year, at least, of seasoning. I don't want the Bears sniffing anywhere around this kid.

He's riding that Mohomes/Jackson train. Who, to be fair, weren't considered generational talents when they came out either.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:30 am
Otis Day wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:53 am Lance leaving school to get ready for the 2021 draft. Big mistake in my book. He is not a generational talent and needs another year, at least, of seasoning. I don't want the Bears sniffing anywhere around this kid.

He's riding that Mohomes/Jackson train. Who, to be fair, weren't considered generational talents when they came out either.
You dont think mahomes was considered a generational arm talent and Jackson a generational runner? Goff was a good all around prospect, but the previous two had a trait that was off the charts.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:33 pm
wab wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:30 am
You dont think mahomes was considered a generational arm talent and Jackson a generational runner? Goff was a good all around prospect, but the previous two had a trait that was off the charts.
I mean, Kyle Boller had generational arm talent and Eric Crouch was a generational runner.

Jackson and Mahomes came into the NFL with pretty significant concerns.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Jackson more then mahomes. But name a QB who didnt? I can think of Andrew Luck, and Manning (who did have arm concerns). Boller could throw the ball 60 yards from his knees. He went from a mid rounder to a 1st. Guys like Couch or David Carr I always wonder if they would have gone to another team how they would be. But either way sure that amazing skill set needs other good attributes to become gread.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Mahomes had a ton of questions coming out. The Texas Tech offense he played in, for one. His off-script plays, for another.

It's a credit to him and to Andy Reid that those have been harnessed into the player he is today. But to suggest he was seen as a sure thing is revisionism.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: