"How big is fast?"

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

I love this. The Bears are slow. I think Pace made a mistake drafting Ridley and investing so much time in Wims. Miller is fast enough. But ARob is a snail - a possession receiver. The Bears need speed speed speed. At WR and at RB.

No track stars, though. Fast football players.

https://www.nfl.com/news/back-2-campus/ ... oore-short
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Wims - 4.53
Robinson - 4.47
Ridley - 4.61
Miller - 4.46
Mooney - 4.38
Patterson - 4.42
Ginn - 4.28
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:45 pm I love this. The Bears are slow. I think Pace made a mistake drafting Ridley and investing so much time in Wims. Miller is fast enough. But ARob is a snail - a possession receiver. The Bears need speed speed speed. At WR and at RB.

I think the Bears lack speed and explosive playmakers, even moreso at RB than WR (Cohen is fast, but not a true all-purpose RB, Montgomery can do everything fine, but isn't a home run threat).

But I don't think 5'9 180 Rondale and 5'10 175 Mooney pair up well as 2 of your 3 primarily WRs at all.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:35 am
IE wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:45 pm I love this. The Bears are slow. I think Pace made a mistake drafting Ridley and investing so much time in Wims. Miller is fast enough. But ARob is a snail - a possession receiver. The Bears need speed speed speed. At WR and at RB.

I think the Bears lack speed and explosive playmakers, even moreso at RB than WR (Cohen is fast, but not a true all-purpose RB, Montgomery can do everything fine, but isn't a home run threat).

But I don't think 5'9 180 Rondale and 5'10 175 Mooney pair up well as 2 of your 3 primarily WRs at all.
Agreed on the speed for sure!

21st Century Smurfs, my man!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:49 pm Wims - 4.53
Robinson - 4.47
Ridley - 4.61
Miller - 4.50
Mooney - 4.38
Patterson - 4.42
Ginn - 4.38
A couple corrections (Miller & Ginn), but, regardless, I think looking at it that way is somewhat deceptive.

Patterson is a part-time RB and KR and rarely lines up at WR
Ginn barely gets any snaps these days and is declining and unlikely to be back

You have
Robinson - 4.47
Miller - 4.50
Mooney - 4.38
as your primary trio, with
Wims - 4.53
the most prominent backup

Robinson and Miller are fine, but not game-breaker speed by any means. And your overall average of 4.45 is nice.
But Mooney is your only speedster getting reps. And he's small and kind of overrated/overpraised here.
Yes, he has greatly outperformed his draft rankings, outperformed his draft spot, caught on well for a rookie, and hopefully has room to improve.
But he's also on pace for 48 catches and 522 yds, which is extremely underwhelming for a starter. Even if you dial his snap count up from 60% to 80% (even Robinson is only 84%) that only gets you to a rate of 64/700. And at 10.9 ypc (Miller is 12 and Robinson 13.6 for career), he's not deep balling it up, either.

Trying to improve WR (overall and/or speed) is awkward, though.
You've already spent a good amount of resource there. Spending more to make your own go away is tough.
Draft a bigger, better SE and turn Mooney into a backup or slot?
Save money, but ditch by far your best receiver in Robinson?
Give up on Miller?

And, even worse, there are really huge concerns at other positions, too. OL is a wreck. There's no QB of the future and maybe not even one of the present, either. RB has the skills you want split between 2 guys, instead of in 1 guy. Graham is ancient and Kmet has done nothing so far.
I dunno.
I'd say WR is very so-so, but not the worst of your offensive problems. (Unless you can't afford Robinson, in which case it really rises.)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Ridley isn't playing because he's painfully slow. He runs really good routs and has great hands, but separation is an issue.

Robinson isn't great at getting separation either, but he uses his body to mitigate it.

Mooney is getting reps because he gets separation, runs good routes, and catches the ball.

Miller is getting reps because even though he's not overtly fast, he's pretty quick, gets separation, and makes catches occasionally.

Wims is getting reps because he's the only true backup to Robinson.

Make no mistake, the Bears absolutely need another element of speed at WR.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:15 pm Ridley isn't playing because he's painfully slow. He runs really good routs and has great hands, but separation is an issue.

Robinson isn't great at getting separation either, but he uses his body to mitigate it.

Mooney is getting reps because he gets separation, runs good routes, and catches the ball.

Miller is getting reps because even though he's not overtly fast, he's pretty quick, gets separation, and makes catches occasionally.

100%. Gun to my head this early in the season, I think OT or speed WR is our first round pick.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:33 pm
wab wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:15 pm Ridley isn't playing because he's painfully slow. He runs really good routs and has great hands, but separation is an issue.

100%. Gun to my head this early in the season, I think OT or speed WR is our first round pick.
:applaud:

I hope you are right and those are the first two picks, assuming the talent is available at the time
wab
Mod

I'm hoping that the Bears can scoop Jaylen Waddle in the 2nd now that he's out for the season.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:38 pm I'm hoping that the Bears can scoop Jaylen Waddle in the 2nd now that he's out for the season.
I'm a fan of taking him with the 32nd pick :D
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

QBs will be the pick.
IE
Hall of Famer

OMG Waddle would be amazing. I do prefer OL first unless the heavens open up and a great QB is sitting there in the mid-20s where I guess we'll see the pick.

Next draft:
- One real speed WR
- One stud OT
- At least one QB
- LB