Mac Jones QB Bama at 5 to Washington??

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

So with the Bears in a tailspin I went lurking around some mock drafts. A few of them had Mac Jones going to The Football team at 5!!!!

Am I missing something?!?!?!

Nothing about this guys screams too 5 pick to me. Granted most of those guys are a bunch of hacks anyway but 5!!!!! Someone had a piece out a while back suggesting we take him at 18 and I was floored. But 5?!?! Come on man.
G08
Hall of Famer

No way in hell he's going #5. None.

I have it as:
1. Lawrence
2. Fields
3. Wilson
4. Lance
5. Trask or Jones (want to see more of both)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

There's some pretty reputable guys saying Jones is going to have a Joe Burrow type rise. Not #1 overall obviously...but top 15. He's poised, accurate, and smart. He just isn't mobile. Like at all.

He's throwing the best deep ball in college football right now though.

I have it the same as G08.

Lawrence
Fields
Wilson
Lance
Jones
Trask

And all 6 could go in R1.
G08
Hall of Famer

@wab I don't think Mac Jones has Burrow's arm

wab
Mod

I don't either. But Burrow when from an afterthought to the #1 pick. I think what guys like McShay are saying, is that Jones could have a similar rise into the top of R1.
Z Bear
MVP

I don't get the Trey Lance hype, especially now he is done for the year. I think Wilson and Trask have both passed him up with their performances so far, Jones may end up passing him too. ND State has been one of the best FCS teams teams for a while and plays against lessor competition. I would be happy if the Bears can somehow get Wilson or Trask in round 1.
spudbear
MVP

For those who saw the Clemson-ND game, anyone else impressed with backup QB at Clemson? Tula-something? The kid was big-mobile and had a good touch. He'll probably stay another year at Clemson but almost wish he could be a Bear next year.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
G08
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:23 am I don't get the Trey Lance hype, especially now he is done for the year. I think Wilson and Trask have both passed him up with their performances so far, Jones may end up passing him too. ND State has been one of the best FCS teams teams for a while and plays against lessor competition. I would be happy if the Bears can somehow get Wilson or Trask in round 1.
Trask's overall inexperience scares me. Dude was a backup in high school. We just went through having the least experienced QB ever drafted in the first round.

Z Bear
MVP

Trask beat out Fellipe Franks and put up good numbers last year too. Two solid years in the SEC is WAY better than one good year in the ACC.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

All it takes is one team to fall in love with him to jump to #5. I'd be very surprised, looks more like a 2nd, maybe high 1st rounder. He's having a good year but Alabama probably has better offensive talent than the Bears (just kidding, kind of). Burrow had that kind of talent last year at LSU but is showing he's not a product of a college system, having a very good year with Cincy.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.