So it's time for some draft talk ..

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:58 am Every position can make impact as day 1 starters.
Of course, my point though is that it is less likely for positions like QB, TE and WR to hit the ground running and play at a high level than it is OL and RB. The former generally take longer to develop and start reaching their potential than the latter. Rookie RBs in particular often have a lot of success early; 6 have been named to the initial Pro Bowl roster in the last 4 seasons.
G08
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:01 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:58 am Every position can make impact as day 1 starters.
Of course, my point though is that it is less likely for positions like QB, TE and WR to hit the ground running and play at a high level than it is OL and RB. The former generally take longer to develop and start reaching their potential than the latter. Rookie RBs in particular often have a lot of success early; 6 have been named to the initial Pro Bowl roster in the last 4 seasons.
Agreed. It's why I'm not *as* concerned about the OL going into next year. You can draft a kid early, sign someone in FA and draft another kid with athletic traits later to develop.

Rookie - Daniels - Whitehair - Rookie/FA - Massie (or replacement)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

There are already several development prospects on this team including Bars and the two 7th rounders from this year. It's the high-end day one starter talent that's needed. With the cap situation, trying to find a couple early in the draft would probably be preferable to free agency retreads. There usually aren't too many top OL talents available in free agency and they're highly likely to be high salary cap casualties.

The thing is that if the Bears can land a couple of young starters on the OL who are significant upgrade on what they currently have then the line could become solid very quickly. The questions are who's going to be playing QB behind it and are the other skill players better or worse than we believe them to be? It's impossible to tell as things stand.
G08
Hall of Famer

^ agreed again. And they really need to figure out what direction they want to take the offense, especially the run game. I prefer large, athletic athletes on my line but that is easier said than done.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I'm somewhat skeptical how true this is, not because it may not be somewhat accurate in a vacuum, but is perhaps also somewhat offset by the ability to get reasonable plug and play capability from FA in the IOL as well. Thus, from a need based perspective might the opposite approach be as good if not better? Perhaps it's just plain circumstance that is the main driver?

RB I'd probably agree with just because the aging curve does seem so skewed. But the curve is probably fairly flat as far as the draft investment.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Here's what I'm struggling with:
2021 you improve the oline and maybe the QB, but the best playmakers will be Anthony Miller and Tarik Cohen. That's not enough
2022 do you re-sign Hicks and Fuller or try to replace them? Can you add enough playmakers to compensate for the defensive regression that will come? Also, I assume we're done with Quinn so are we also shopping for an EDGE?
xyt in the discord chats
dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:16 pm
Agreed. It's why I'm not *as* concerned about the OL going into next year. You can draft a kid early, sign someone in FA and draft another kid with athletic traits later to develop.

Rookie - Daniels - Whitehair - Rookie/FA - Massie (or replacement)
Generally speaking, you only want to have 2 developmental type OL on your 53, maybe 3 if you're keeping 9 OL. We already have Mustipher, Bars, Hambright, and Simmons on the roster. Not to mention Dieter Eislen and Badara Traore. I don't see much point in churning through developmental guys, we need to "develop them". We can stash a few on the PS and develop them also. But I see little point adding any more "kids with athletic traits to develop later", we already have 6 of those unless we don't like any of them. What we need are STARTERS, 3 of them. Two at OT and one at RG. Won't happen in one offseason I'm afraid, we've dug too deep a hole here. So one of Massie/Leno has to come back and we need to fill OT and RG - at least one with a draft pick since we have limited cap space.

If you want to draft a starter at OT, it'd better be a high pick - even then it's risky.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:37 pm Here's what I'm struggling with:
2021 you improve the oline and maybe the QB, but the best playmakers will be Anthony Miller and Tarik Cohen. That's not enough
2022 do you re-sign Hicks and Fuller or try to replace them? Can you add enough playmakers to compensate for the defensive regression that will come? Also, I assume we're done with Quinn so are we also shopping for an EDGE?
Yeah, there's simply no way to fix the whole offense in one offseason.

Ideally, you'd do QB/TE/WR early, because they take more time to catch on.

But other considerations are:
This looks to be a good QB and OT draft
We already have Kmet, Mooney, Miller, Riley and aren't really sure what they are, where their ceilings are, and how much more we need there.

So, I'm inclined to say QB & OL first, then maybe receivers and RB in 2022, as necessary.

Quinn got such a brutally bad contract that he absolutely can't be moved in 2021. Even in 2022, it would cost you over 9M to make him go away. So no one's coming in anytime soon.

Fuller and Hicks are really tough calls. I'm going to mention them in another thread soon.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

Wow, look at this guy, he is huge!

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/players/daniel-faalele
AC 46Blitz
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

any Bears draft talk that involves the drafting of a QB is utterly foolish ... there are so many problems on the offense and the team needs a methodical intelligent approach to repairing and rebuilding those before even considering drafting a new kid to be destroyed

and I now have severe doubt the Bears have the correct people in place who have the intelligence and patience to build it correctly

this upcoming draft might yield a decent player or 2, but I'll bet they'll be defensive guys

Pace said after he was hired he would draft a QB every year ... he hasn't

Nagy and Pace both said how important the supporting cast is for a QB, which I took to mean they would be addressing building a solid offensive line ... they haven't

this Bears ensemble cast is as big of a joke as the previous ones ... the only constant is Phillips, so I guess he is Moe while the GM and Head Coach of the moment are Larry and Curley

and the fans? I guess that makes us Shemp
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

If the Bears pull the trigger for Wentz and send Foles and Cohen along, they’ll need to use the entire draft on offensive players. OT, QB, WR, RB will be needs.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:11 pm If the Bears pull the trigger for Wentz and send Foles and Cohen along, they’ll need to use the entire draft on offensive players. OT, QB, WR, RB will be needs.
OT - yes
WR - yes, assuming they don’t tag Robinson

RB - eh, I wouldn’t call it an immediate need...they’d probably retain Patterson and they just hired the guy that coached Nall and Pierce

QB - doubtful unless it’s a late round pick
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:22 pm
Grizzled wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:11 pm If the Bears pull the trigger for Wentz and send Foles and Cohen along, they’ll need to use the entire draft on offensive players. OT, QB, WR, RB will be needs.
OT - yes

RB - eh, I wouldn’t call it an immediate need...they’d probably retain Patterson and they just hired the guy that coached Nall and Pierce

Good point about the RB coach. But they need to actually use Nall and Pierce. If they send Foles away, they're going to need some backups and a team should always have a QB they're "grooming". As for WR, even if they tag Robinson, they need more speed. The draft is deep with OT talent, hopefully they pick up 1 or even a 2nd.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:48 am
wab wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:22 pm

OT - yes

Good point about the RB coach. But they need to actually use Nall and Pierce. If they send Foles away, they're going to need some backups and a team should always have a QB they're "grooming". As for WR, even if they tag Robinson, they need more speed. The draft is deep with OT talent, hopefully they pick up 1 or even a 2nd.
If they can trade for Wentz and have a package that sends our first pick next year and let's us keep 1-3 this year I think that is way better than this year's #20 and getting back #38 from them.

You tag Robinson, take someone like Darrisaw, Mayfield or Eichenberg in the 1st, double down on OT in the second with a guy like Radunz and get another speed WR like Dyami Brown in the third.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Barring some freak injury or something coming out about his past that we don't know, Christian Darrisaw is gone by the top half of Round 1, if not in fact in the top 10. I like both Samuel Cosmi and Jalen Mayfield, but it's not particularly close between those two and Darrisaw -- he's the second-best tackle prospect in the draft after Penei Sewell. It's not even a stretch to envision him going #5 to Cincinnati if someone before them grabs Sewell.

#3 on most lists is Alex Leatherwood, whom I think reminded people at the Senior Bowl that he's a mauler, not a dancing bear. I like Cosmi and Mayfield better for the Bears' zone blocking scheme, and Leatherwood might not even stick at tackle in the pros, but I'd guess you try him there first since it's a more premium position. (I see Liam Eichenberg similarly, though Leatherwood is considerably more polished.)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

I agree that Darrisaw is gone in the top 15. Maybe the top 10...

I don't love Leatherwood...he might actually fit better at guard. Conversely, Landon Dickerson might actually be a better OT.

If we do go OT in R1, I like Mayfield a lot. He so young and has so much potential. He reminds me of Tyron Smith.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Yeah, Mayfield is my preference over Cosmi, but that's not to suggest there's anything wrong with the latter. I think they're both athletic enough to play outside.

Cosmi appears a bit more ready to contribute right away than Mayfield, but the upside on Mayfield is sooo tempting.
KFFL refugee.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The McShays et al saying the Bears are going to trade not 1 but 2 first round picks to move up for a QB are smoking crack. There isn’t a QB in the draft who will help them win appreciably in 2021 and Pace/Nagy know this. Using a 1st rounder possibly on Carr or a lower pick on a Minshew/Mariotta or just signing a FA will give them the the best chance to fill those craters on the team, with Carr definitely being the best choice.
Last edited by Grizzled on Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cblaz11
MVP

This just might be the deepest draft I’ve ever seen for starting caliber OTs.

There’s a few guys that will probably be there in the second that can start at RT day 1. I wouldn’t hate doubling down and going OT in rounds

This is the guy I want in round 2...Spencer Brown. He’s 6-8, built not fat, and plays nasty. He could start at RT day 1 and could potentially be a starting Lt.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I like Brown, but I am thoroughly unconvinced that depending on anyone from a non-power 5 school to start right away is a good idea.

And Brown showed some issues with higher level talent in Mobile. I don't think he's ready to start anywhere right away.
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

I like Brown, I think he's going to take a minute to develop though. He's used to just bullying guys, and like Thunder said, he struggled with some stuff in Mobile.

I'd take him on day two as a swing OT, but I don't think anyone should expect him to start right away.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yeah, in a draft this deep for OT, R2 is way too early for him. I expect him to go somewhere in the massive gulf between the Bears R3 and R5 picks.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:05 am This just might be the deepest draft I’ve ever seen for starting caliber OTs.

There’s a few guys that will probably be there in the second that can start at RT day 1. I wouldn’t hate doubling down and going OT in rounds
My man, I like the way you’re thinking. Can’t remember another draft this deep in OT talent.

The Brown they should consider is the guy starting at RT for the Ravens who wants to return to LT, Orlando Jr. Don’t know if they can pry him loose for less than a first, maybe next year’s.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:12 pm Yeah, Mayfield is my preference over Cosmi, but that's not to suggest there's anything wrong with the latter. I think they're both athletic enough to play outside.

Cosmi appears a bit more ready to contribute right away than Mayfield, but the upside on Mayfield is sooo tempting.
I've changed my mind on this, with a bit of game tape work and some more research. I've got Cosmi over Mayfield now. But they're right next to each other.
KFFL refugee.

RichH55
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:05 am This just might be the deepest draft I’ve ever seen for starting caliber OTs.

This is the guy I want in round 2...Spencer Brown. He’s 6-8, built not fat, and plays nasty. He could start at RT day 1 and could potentially be a starting Lt.
He needs A LOT of technique work

I like him as well - Think Round 2 is too high for him

He's a developmental guy for me - I think his rookie year is pure Redshirt
wab
Mod

I like Brown a lot, but man he needs work.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I've been messing with some mock draft simulators and a few times there were 6 OTs picked before the Bears at 20. I've been thinking OT in round 1 all along but now I'm realizing there is a limit. I don't want Leatherwood in Rd 1 for example. What is everyone's limit before they start looking at another position?

These are the guys I'd consider at 20 btw, but that's not really what I'm trying to discuss right now
Sewell
Slater
Darrisaw
Vera-Tucker
Mayfield
Cosmi

With these guys gone, I'm looking for a difference-maker at WR and hoping to get Leatherwood or Carman in Rd 2.
xyt in the discord chats
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:07 pm I've been messing with some mock draft simulators and a few times there were 6 OTs picked before the Bears at 20. I've been thinking OT in round 1 all along but now I'm realizing there is a limit. I don't want Leatherwood in Rd 1 for example. What is everyone's limit before they start looking at another position?

These are the guys I'd consider at 20 btw, but that's not really what I'm trying to discuss right now
Sewell
Slater
Darrisaw
Vera-Tucker
Mayfield
Cosmi

With these guys gone, I'm looking for a difference-maker at WR and hoping to get Leatherwood or Carman in Rd 2.
I've had two different friends tell me to watch some more Kardarius Toney. I like the kid a lot, and depending on what we address prior tot he draft, wouldn't mind him at all at 20. Would make an interesting story to also grab Trask...
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'm assuming the following are gone:
  • Lawrence (duh)
  • Fields (only other guy I'd be willing to trade up to get)
  • Z Wilson
  • Sewell
  • Darrisaw
  • Chase
  • DaVonte
  • Pitts
  • Farley
  • Surtain II
  • Barmore
My list at #20 is then pretty short, frankly. The list of who I wouldn't take is probably longer. For instance, If you're planning to keep Roquan, you kind of have to pass on Parsons -- two investments that high in ILB aren't conducive to good cap management. I'm not convinced already-part-time-guy Waddle can stay healthy, I'm not convinced Slater should play tackle in the NFL, I'm not all that high on Paye/Ossai/Rousseau, and I'm not impressed by the production Toney and Marshall Jr put together in college.

Guys I'd consider at #20
  • Trey Lance (if he falls, not moving up even a few spots)
  • Samuel Cosmi
  • Jalen Mayfield (he's a risk, but the upside is really tempting)
  • Rashod Bateman
  • Horn (maybe, seems a little tackle-shy to me)
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

I like Teven Jenkins a lot. If the Bears look for an OT in R2, I like D’Ante Smith from E. Carolina