- great size
- good arm, not elite
- ball location is NFL caliber
- decision-making seems superb, especially under pressure
- another guy who doesn't know life without the shotgun
- not afraid to scramble or throw on the run at all
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

If we could land Christian Darrisaw in the first and Trask in the 2nd (or even a modest trade up into the late 1st), I'd be ecstatic.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Z Bear
MVP

If Trask lights it up at the Senior Bowl he might not make it out of the first. I could see Tampa selecting him with their late first and letting him sit behind Brady for a year.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Z Bear wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:51 am If Trask lights it up at the Senior Bowl he might not make it out of the first. I could see Tampa selecting him with their late first and letting him sit behind Brady for a year.
That's the maddening thing about trying to project players this early. And all it takes is 1 team to fall in love with a player to cause him to skyrocket up a draft board. Right now, on the top 100 list that I tend to start with for draft projections, Trask has been ranked in the mid to low 40's. That puts him as a reasonable guy to take in the bottom of the first round, considering you get the 5th year option.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The type of guy who will be drafted higher than the “experts” predict. If the Bears could trade back in the first to one of the last few picks, maybe snag another pick in the 2nd or 3rd, grab Trask to lock him up for 5 years, might be doable.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:21 am The type of guy who will be drafted higher than the “experts” predict. If the Bears could trade back in the first to one of the last few picks, maybe snag another pick in the 2nd or 3rd, grab Trask to lock him up for 5 years, might be doable.
I tried trading down to target him in a recent simulation and it blew up in my face, leaving no QB option.

I don't think a meaningful trade down to get him is going to work (barring a bad Senior Bowl).

21 Colts - possible risk
23 Jets - definite risk if they don't get one with their earlier pick
24 Pitt - definite risk
28 NO - definite risk
30? Bucs - definite risk
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:31 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:21 am The type of guy who will be drafted higher than the “experts” predict. If the Bears could trade back in the first to one of the last few picks, maybe snag another pick in the 2nd or 3rd, grab Trask to lock him up for 5 years, might be doable.
I tried trading down to target him in a recent simulation and it blew up in my face, leaving no QB option.

I don't think a meaningful trade down to get him is going to work (barring a bad Senior Bowl).

21 Colts - possible risk
24 Pitt - definite risk
28 NO - definite risk
30? Bucs - definite risk
Playing with https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/. I like it, get lots of trade offers from other teams. I've been able to sim Jones and Trask in differing scenarios.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:48 pm
Moriarty wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:31 am

21 Colts - possible risk
24 Pitt - definite risk
28 NO - definite risk
30? Bucs - definite risk
Playing with https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/. I like it, get lots of trade offers from other teams. I've been able to sim Jones and Trask in differing scenarios.
Thanks. I've seen and tried all of the decent ones out there, I think.
With that particular one, I think Trask is rated ridiculously low and Mond & Newman fairly questionable, which really spoils the usefulness IMO, if your plan includes any of them.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

I think it is dreaming thinking he's going to last beyond the Bears. I mean seriously dreaming.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:00 pm
Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:48 pm

Thanks. I've seen and tried all of the decent ones out there, I think.
With that particular one, I think Trask is rated ridiculously low and Mond & Newman fairly questionable, which really spoils the usefulness IMO, if your plan includes any of them.
Yeah, both Jones and Trask are rated too low. It’s fun to dream but not realistic to expect them to be there at 52. Maybe if the Bears snag an extra 2nd near the top of the round.
cblaz11
MVP

I feel like Trask is the forgotten man...After the recent trade ups, I started looking into next level QBs and Trask really stands out.

Love his accuracy and pocket presence...I love the touch he puts on the ball. He’s got some kinks to work out...he try’s to get too cute at times..That said, I really think there is something to him as a starting quality talent.

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Go watch some young Eli Manning film...

Right now, I have enough concerns about Trey Lance (if I were in a position to draft him), and like Trask to the point that I'm considering putting Trask at 5 in my QB rankings and Lance at 6. This isn't to say that I hate Lance that much; I do like Trask that much. Especially if Trask has a year to sit.
cblaz11
MVP

Pocket presence and mobility within the pocket is a strength...he keeps his eyes downfield at all times. Nice, quick delivery. Quicker then expected at least.

Here’s what I learn from watching full games vs highlights/just pass plays....You get a sense of the players role on the team. Florida operates through Trask...When I watch Lance, I get the same feeling I got with Mitch, he’s just there as a facilitator.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'm not really a Trask fan, but I can kind of see the appeal -- and Dan Mullen has a decent track record with QBs, tho Trask doesn't have the mobility that most of the guys he's worked with previously have had.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
EricTighe
MVP

Trask is a good backup QB in the NFL. Spot starter. Needless to say, he could start for us. He defiantly has an upside something our two QB's do not have.
G08
Hall of Famer

Pro Day is tomorrow: March 31st.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

I just feel like he is a Pittsburgh kind of QB.
AC 46Blitz
cblaz11
MVP

I’m pretty excited to see this. I want to see the arm strength on intermediate throws...That’s my biggest concern.
G08
Hall of Famer

5.0+ 40 yard dash, blah

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:49 am I’m pretty excited to see this. I want to see the arm strength on intermediate throws...That’s my biggest concern.
Decent zip, short-hopped one and sailed another but the majority have been on a rope and accurate.

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

DevilsProspect wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:59 am I just feel like he is a Pittsburgh kind of QB.
This is exactly right.

I think he can be successful in some systems but he doesn't have the traits of anybody who has been successful in Reid's system, with the exception I guess of Foles in his playoff run. I don't think it's likely or a good idea for Nagy to draft a Foles replacement.

EDIT: I wonder if John Elway can accept some deficiency with arm strength because Trask is a big guy and good leader. I think he'd be good in Denver, too.
xyt in the discord chats
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

crueltyabc wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:21 pm
DevilsProspect wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:59 am I just feel like he is a Pittsburgh kind of QB.
This is exactly right.

I think he can be successful in some systems but he doesn't have the traits of anybody who has been successful in Reid's system, with the exception I guess of Foles in his playoff run. I don't think it's likely or a good idea for Nagy to draft a Foles replacement.

EDIT: I wonder if John Elway can accept some deficiency with arm strength because Trask is a big guy and good leader. I think he'd be good in Denver, too.
True. Denver might not be a bad one either. I just feel like Trask looks a lot like Big Ben. Plus they really need a guy to back him up because it’s only a matter of time. Maybe Bens last year, if he makes it through. Wouldn’t be shocked if they took him early with their first pick.
AC 46Blitz
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I mean typically like 12 QBs are drafted in the whole draft but at this point people are talking like seven will go in the first. It feels too insane to be true
xyt in the discord chats
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

DevilsProspect wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:57 pm
crueltyabc wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:21 pm

This is exactly right.

True. Denver might not be a bad one either. I just feel like Trask looks a lot like Big Ben. Plus they really need a guy to back him up because it’s only a matter of time. Maybe Bens last year, if he makes it through. Wouldn’t be shocked if they took him early with their first pick.
Meh. I'd take a consistent QB who can make all the throws and generally look like he belongs in the NFL over most of the tripe that we've had in Chicago.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm kinda leaning towards this guy, when others seem to be leaning away. He and Mills, in the 2nd round or early 3rd.

Pittsburg QB? That means just "Big Ben", really -and remember Pittsburg built the team around him over time - they didn't go around saying "oh we want to install a Coach x offense here so let's draft a QB who fits that" . Draft a QB you think will be good regardless - and then find the coach that can coach and win with THAT. Like Pittsburg. Like Buffalo. Like Baltimore. Like Arizona, who deliberately selected Murray to build around him.

I'm NOT saying you plan to change your system for a 3rd round QB. But if you think the guy is really good you don't let "isn't an RPO guy" stop you. And despite the reputation, only a small percent of the Bear offense are play action or RPO - even though that seems to be a reputation they want & have. Only about 1/3 of Bears plays are under center. It isn't just Nagy either - 1/3 is about league average. There are plenty of plays in the playbook. Even I formation. lol

So here you have this guy Trask who can light it up in the shotgun with good NFL-class weapons he's used to... a guy with a big arm and accuracy. And it seems to me like him slipping is a mistake and a lot of teams are going to later regret missing the obvious.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
cblaz11
MVP

To me, he’s the best prospect outside of the big 5.

I have zero love for Mond...What are your guys thoughts on Newman?
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:36 am To me, he’s the best prospect outside of the big 5.

I haven't seen enough, but I thought he sucked at the Senior Bowl.

5th round pick, maybe? Could go in the 3rd or 4th if someone loves his traits enough.

G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:36 am To me, he’s the best prospect outside of the big 5.

I'm a big fan of Kellen Mond. While I think he has work to do, especially in his upper half where I feel he is stiff in his ball carriage and how firmly out he holds his elbow, he does have an electric arm, tons of experience in the SEC and enough athleticism to be a threat in the run game.

46 starts in the SEC
71 TDs to 21 INTs
7.1 YPA
30-14 record

I'd be fine pulling the trigger on him at #52; have him sit for all of 2021 and let DeFilippo overhaul his mechanics.

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:24 pm

What I see:

- great size
- good arm, not elite
- ball location is NFL caliber
- decision-making seems superb, especially under pressure
- another guy who doesn't know life without the shotgun
- not afraid to scramble or throw on the run at all
What I see:

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:43 am

I haven't seen enough, but I thought he sucked at the Senior Bowl.

5th round pick, maybe? Could go in the 3rd or 4th if someone loves his traits enough.
I’m a Newman fan.
Newman’s game tape was way better than the senior bowl tape. I’d like to believe that difference was due to the rust of a year off, and not being overwhelmed by the faster more complex senior bowl environment. If it means the Bears can draft him in the fifth then i guess I’ll be glad
xyt in the discord chats