QB Prospect Discussion: Kyle Trask

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

@Yogi da Bear
Not a fair comparison at all IMO. Glennon didn't touch Trask in productivity or efficiency. Trask also simply looks better than Glennon ever did.

But I'll add their college career stats to compare:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... ask-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... non-1.html
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Trask's game has a lot of Nick Foles in it, right down to the okay-but-not-more arm. I've heard him compared to former Viking Brad Johnson and to Chad Henne.

He kind of reminds me of Matt Hasselbeck, honestly.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:03 pm @Yogi da Bear
Not a fair comparison at all IMO. Glennon didn't touch Trask in productivity or efficiency. Trask also simply looks better than Glennon ever did.

Doesn't matter what their stats are. When I watch them both, I see a statue of a giraffe.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:24 am
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:03 pm @Yogi da Bear

Doesn't matter what their stats are. When I watch them both, I see a statue of a giraffe.
If this was a cherry picking expedition I'd agree with you that stats don't matter. Trask out performed Glennon in every metric, so I believe that the stats do show that Trask is a better prospect, even if you have an associative bias that you're not willing to look past.

Trask very well may end up as hopeless a dud as a pro as Glennon is, but other than saying they're both tall white guys that play QB, they don't look the same on the field to me.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wulfy
MVP

I'm not overly excited by Trask. I think he has a below average arm that will be exposed in November and December on the Lakefront and in Green Bay.

I don't compare him to Glennon however. Not sure there is an easy comp for him.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:54 am
Yogi da Bear wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:24 am

If this was a cherry picking expedition I'd agree with you that stats don't matter. Trask out performed Glennon in every metric, so I believe that the stats do show that Trask is a better prospect, even if you have an associative bias that you're not willing to look past.

Trask very well may end up as hopeless a dud as a pro as Glennon is, but other than saying they're both tall white guys that play QB, they don't look the same on the field to me.
Add on that neither move very well, and you'd have it in a nutshell, although their race makes no difference to me. So how about we just say they're both tall, goofy, long necked guys who can't move very well. That's what I see in a nutshell.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

This makes me feel better about Trask

Glennon is a terrible comp no matter if hes good or bad
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Here's from Greg Gabriel on Twitter:
In that second tier of QB’s many have Kyle Trask, I’m not one of them. Not much above it his game that I like & that includes arm strength, scheme he played in and mobility. If you think Jones is a statue then what’s Trask? Lot worse movement skills then Mac
Can't say that I disagree with him.
G08
Hall of Famer

Not a fan of Trask... watched his Pro Day closely, he CAN generate adequate velocity, but he has to put everything into those throws. He won't have many opportunities like that in the NFL unless he's lucky enough to be drafted by a team with an elite offensive line.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wulfy
MVP

G08 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:58 pm Not a fan of Trask... watched his Pro Day closely, he CAN generate adequate velocity, but he has to put everything into those throws. He won't have many opportunities like that in the NFL unless he's lucky enough to be drafted by a team with an elite offensive line.
I watched that Pro Day too ... you're right G08, I thought he looked awful. Especially when they asked him to move off-platfom - he doesn't throw on the run ... he runs .... then stops and sets ... and then throws. That won't work when Khalil Mack is a half a step behind you.
G08
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:28 am
G08 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:58 pm Not a fan of Trask... watched his Pro Day closely, he CAN generate adequate velocity, but he has to put everything into those throws. He won't have many opportunities like that in the NFL unless he's lucky enough to be drafted by a team with an elite offensive line.
I watched that Pro Day too ... you're right G08, I thought he looked awful. Especially when they asked him to move off-platfom - he doesn't throw on the run ... he runs .... then stops and sets ... and then throws. That won't work when Khalil Mack is a half a step behind you.
Agreed 100%.

Today's NFL, in my opinion, requires a QB with athleticism and ability to extend plays. Making throws off platform is an added bonus.

Rodgers
Mahomes
Wilson
Allen
Tannehill
Jackson
Mayfield
Carr
Watson
Herbert
Murray
Stafford

Only exception is Tom Brady, and he sold his soul to the devil. Drew Brees would be mentioned as well but he's retired.

Tom Brady is the exception
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS