What I see:
- strong arm
- throws a great ball in short-medium range
- has his eyes moving and head on a swivel
- great feet and throwing motion
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I'm somewhat interested

I guess he plays exclusively out of the shotgun, though? :?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

Mond would be a guy who you redshirt for a year, maybe two. I think he's legit, though. His arm is elite.
wab
Mod

I think Mond is going to climb into that R2 range. He's gonna need to get used to playing in a pro style offense.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:50 pm I guess he plays exclusively out of the shotgun, though? :?
So did Mahomes. I don't think it's a deal-breaker.

That said, I am not high on Mond. I've seen a lot of nice plays followed up with a "what the hell was THAT" decisions. Moreover, Jimbo Fisher QBs (Jameis Winston, Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel) have a history of falling flat in the pros.

I dunno. I guess I might roll the dice on his physical skills around pick 75 or so. Someone prolly falls in love with the talent and jumps before then.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

4 year starter, increased his completion % each year, Y/A hit 7.7 in 2020. Biggest plus: graduate of A&M, the school I got my Master's from :-)
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
G08
Hall of Famer

This dude's got a fucking hose...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Could see him in the 3rd.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

He's a guy that's all over the place in mock drafts. I like the guy. If we somehow drop down and get an 4th I'd love him there. In the third a more luke warm on him. Kind of with thunder on him. One play you go WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! a few plays later it's wow????

If get another vet QB who is basically another bridge option with Foles, I like him as QB3 for next year and maybe taking over / competing with a '22 rookie for the starting gig next year.

I think Franks in the 5th > Mond in the 3rd as I'd rather have our 3rd round pick be able to step on the field and play year one. Still good OL and WR that can be gotten there.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

From my Picnic Basket: Mond is a poor man's Mitchell Trubisky, which would make him homeless now. lol

For as good as he was in the Senior Bowl, I counted at least five WTF throws. I only get a couple per game by Mitchell. And when he takes off, he's not near as fast as Mitchell.
G08
Hall of Famer

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

I think if he can sit and sort out the nuances of the position, he could be a good starter for the right team.

Someone earlier compared him with Jake Plummer. I think that's a pretty good overall comp. I see a lot of Colin Kaepernick in him too (just from a skillset yall).
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:36 am I think if he can sit and sort out the nuances of the position, he could be a good starter for the right team.

Someone earlier compared him with Jake Plummer. I think that's a pretty good overall comp. I see a lot of Colin Kaepernick in him too (just from a skillset yall).
Ditto on Kaepernick, and ditto nothing to do with race.

G08
Hall of Famer

I like this kid quite a bit, but he is extremely raw IMO. Needs to sit for at least a season if not two.

Do Pace/Nagy have that kind of time?

thunderspirit
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:14 pm I like this kid quite a bit, but he is extremely raw IMO. Needs to sit for at least a season if not two.

Do Pace/Nagy have that kind of time?
I'd bet good money that Pace has plenty of time.

Nagy, maybe less so.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Just saw the highlight reel on him. Of course only good stuff is shown but he makes nice throws, putting the ball where only his guy can get it, deep throws, excellent mobility and speed. It wasn't, however, possible to determine how he reacts if his primary read is covered, how he determines who to go to. Definitely someone the Bears should consider in the 3rd.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:39 pm From my Picnic Basket: Mond is a poor man's Mitchell Trubisky, which would make him homeless now. lol

For as good as he was in the Senior Bowl, I counted at least five WTF throws. I only get a couple per game by Mitchell. And when he takes off, he's not near as fast as Mitchell.

I think that's a pretty good comp
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:56 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:39 pm From my Picnic Basket: Mond is a poor man's Mitchell Trubisky, which would make him homeless now. lol

Mond has 4 years of experience at A&M, not a single year like Trubisky had. Monds' stats got better every year he played. He's definitely not a finished product and could use some seasoning behind an experienced QB.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:18 pm

Mond has 4 years of experience at A&M, not a single year like Trubisky had. Monds' stats got better every year he played. He's definitely not a finished product and could use some seasoning behind an experienced QB.

The experience thing is a solid point

But is it then worse that he was making Mitch like mistakes in Senior Bowl practices?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:00 am

The experience thing is a solid point

But is it then worse that he was making Mitch like mistakes in Senior Bowl practices?
I think that's a college QB playing, especially with WRs he's not familiar with. Hopefully any developmental QB the Bears select can be coached up.
G08
Hall of Famer

Agreed. He turns 22 in June and could use a year or two sitting behind a starter. I don't like how he holds the ball (Rodgers did this in college as well) but that can be coached/corrected.

Athletic kid, big-time fucking arm, almost took down the undefeated 2018 Clemson Tigers.

wab
Mod

Apparently the Bears are doing a bunch of work on the day 2 QBs. (according to Fishbain I think). Mond is included in that group - along with Mills, Trask, Book, and Newman.

The prevailing thinking is that if the Bears can't make a move up for Lance or Jones, they will focus on adding a QB in R2.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

With any of these guys there’s a narrative or comp I can buy except Book. He seems like a dud to me. @wab you’re a domer right? Do you like him?
xyt in the discord chats
cblaz11
MVP

I just don’t see it with Mond....He looks stiff and I don’t like his delivery or pocket presence. Hard pass for me...
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:53 pm With any of these guys there’s a narrative or comp I can buy except Book. He seems like a dud to me. @wab you’re a domer right? Do you like him?
Book is one of those dudes that flies under the radar. He's accurate and has probably the best pocket presence/field vision of anyone in the draft other than Jones and has one of the quickest releases. Dude can also run.

He honestly reminds me of Brees, but I can see why he's not ranked higher. He's just not flashy. He's small and doesn't have the elite traits that allow him to overcome his size.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Trying to assemble some comps...

Trey Lance - what Sean Payton thinks Taysom Hill is
Mac Jones - Tom Brady accurate statue field general dad bod
Kellen Mond - Dak Prescott medium good at everything
Kyle Trask - Kirk Cousins not a great arm but good accuracy
Ian Book - Drew Brees little athletic accurate guy who might not be big or strong enough
Jamie Newman - Josh Allen pre-2020 season? Built like a tank, big arm, inconsistent accuracy and decision-making
Last edited by crueltyabc on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:32 am Trying to assemble some comps...

Trey Lance - what Sean Payton thinks Taysom Hill is
Mac Jones - Tom Brady accurate statue field general dad bod
Kellen Mond - Dak Prescott medium good at everything
Kyle Trask - Kirk Cousins not a great arm but good accuracy
Ian Book - Drew Brees little athletic accurate guy who might not be big or strong enough
Jamie Newman - Josh Allen pre-2020 season. Built like a tank, big arm, inconsistent accuracy and decision-making
I think if Newman would have stayed at Wake and they would've played in 2020, he'd be in the conversation with Lance/Fields/Jones.

He gives me a McNabb/McNair/Brunell vibe.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

He's got some Cam Newton to his running style. Maybe more Cam than Josh. Was Brunnell an athlete like this?

To me Newman is the only guy outside of the first rounders (Lance, Jones) who has the potential to be a STAR. These other guys might turn out to be solid starters but Newman could be special.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:41 am He's got some Cam Newton to his running style. Maybe more Cam than Josh. Was Brunnell an athlete like this?

To me Newman is the only guy outside of the first rounders (Lance, Jones) who has the potential to be a STAR. These other guys might turn out to be solid starters but Newman could be special.
Brunell was a sneaky good athlete. Similar to McNair... maybe not the same arm. Brunell would have gone in the first 40 picks if he hadn't missed a ton of time due to a knee injury...which in the early 90's was almost always career ending.
cblaz11
MVP

I see Lances floor as Trubisky and ceiling as Russel Wilson