QB Prospect Discussion: Kellen Mond

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

karhu
Head Coach

Totally agreed about what's between the ears, but beyond that I don't get the Mond/Trubisky comparison. Trubisky's athletic enough and more sturdily built, but Mond's put together well enough to withstand four years in the SEC, so I'm not sure that their frames are enough to offset the rest.

The rest: Mond tested faster and ran more frequently for more yards and YPC and just as many TDs per year over the course of a four-year career than Trubisky did in his single season. And that was for a coach who made his reputation with Winstons, Ponders, Manuels, and Russells: not a running QB among them.

He's not Lamar Jackson, or even Russell Wilson, but I'd trust him to run an RPO. Or even just to try and get a first down. Not so Trubisky.

He also wrote and orchestrated his own pro day, and used it to highlight exactly the things he didn't get to show in college. I can't think of a less Trubisky move.

You're right about the arm, but I don't see a ton of difference there. I definitely have more faith in Mond to clean up his footwork and make whatever other adjustments might follow to his mechanics. And then I think you'll see the tables turn: if Mond's arm is a bit less impressive when his body is leaning five ways at once, I suspect that it'll be better than Trubisky's when he's confident in his footwork and balance.

The big question to me is what Mond can do when he's asked to work within a system that schemes receivers open, rather than asking everybody to read the field as plays develop. Winston, Manuel, and Russell each threw to a first-round pick at WR (Russell had two); Trubisky threw to a few mid-rounders. Mond's WR corps doesn't have a guy like that, not even like Ryan Switzer. He's throwing to guys who adjust their routes on the fly by design, but can't simply get open on their own terms when it counts. And it shows.

They're each black boxes, like any draftee. Maybe I just think I see the way forward with Mond more clearly than I ever did with Trubisky. That, a nickel, and a time machine will buy you a cup of coffee, I guess.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
EricTighe
MVP

Mills is only an enigma to those who don't follow the top recruits coming out of High School. 5-star recruit.
Mond has talent as do Newman and Trask.

There is one big red flag though. All the QB's except Lawrence and Fields need to be coached up. We have not proven to have the coaches capable of such experience. I believe this is the biggest reason we keep kicking the tires on older QB's.

So unless one of these guys have the "it" (whatever it is) factor to succeed despite the coaches then who ever we draft will be screwed.

But you have to at least kick the tires.
G08
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:59 am We have not proven to have the coaches capable of such experience. I believe this is the biggest reason we keep kicking the tires on older QB's.

So unless one of these guys have the "it" (whatever it is) factor to succeed despite the coaches then who ever we draft will be screwed.

I like DeFilippo quite a bit to develop a QB.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:42 am Totally agreed about what's between the ears, but beyond that I don't get the Mond/Trubisky comparison. Trubisky's athletic enough and more sturdily built, but Mond's put together well enough to withstand four years in the SEC, so I'm not sure that their frames are enough to offset the rest.

The rest: Mond tested faster and ran more frequently for more yards and YPC and just as many TDs per year over the course of a four-year career than Trubisky did in his single season. And that was for a coach who made his reputation with Winstons, Ponders, Manuels, and Russells: not a running QB among them.

He's not Lamar Jackson, or even Russell Wilson, but I'd trust him to run an RPO. Or even just to try and get a first down. Not so Trubisky.

He also wrote and orchestrated his own pro day, and used it to highlight exactly the things he didn't get to show in college. I can't think of a less Trubisky move.

You're right about the arm, but I don't see a ton of difference there. I definitely have more faith in Mond to clean up his footwork and make whatever other adjustments might follow to his mechanics. And then I think you'll see the tables turn: if Mond's arm is a bit less impressive when his body is leaning five ways at once, I suspect that it'll be better than Trubisky's when he's confident in his footwork and balance.

The big question to me is what Mond can do when he's asked to work within a system that schemes receivers open, rather than asking everybody to read the field as plays develop. Winston, Manuel, and Russell each threw to a first-round pick at WR (Russell had two); Trubisky threw to a few mid-rounders. Mond's WR corps doesn't have a guy like that, not even like Ryan Switzer. He's throwing to guys who adjust their routes on the fly by design, but can't simply get open on their own terms when it counts. And it shows.

They're each black boxes, like any draftee. Maybe I just think I see the way forward with Mond more clearly than I ever did with Trubisky. That, a nickel, and a time machine will buy you a cup of coffee, I guess.
Remember that Mond's 40 time came from a Pro Day rather than the Combine. I got my impression of Mond's speed from his Senior Bowl tape. He just seems a lot slower than Mitch. In fact, that Senior Bowl tape just screams Mitchell Trubisky at me. From the godawful, sloppy ass footwork to the succession of WTF throws (far more than I ever saw from Trubs in a game), but I also saw his ability to get on a roll. So there's that.

And Wulfy brings up a good point about Mond's collegiate experience. But it's not only that experience but his drastic improvement over the course of that experience, something that Mitchell never quite showed enough of.

I prefer Mills by a large margin, but I'm not necessarily against Mond. He's my second favorite out of that second tier. My big question with Mond is whether he has it between the ears to decipher Nagy's offense. Trubisky clearly didn't.
wulfy
MVP

Dammit .... I'm aligned with YdB on QBs.

Mills (not early than the 2nd)

Then Mond. (no early than the 3rd)

And if you want to take a late flyer/lottery ticket .... Jamie Newman in the 6th.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Oops. I meant to post this clip of Mond at the Senior Bowl in support of my last post. I'll do it here.

Tell me that doesn't remind you of a somewhat slower, somewhat less accurate, somewhat weaker arm Mitchell Trubisky that we've put up with for the past four years.
wulfy
MVP

I had read that Jamie Newman was the best looking QB at the Senior Bowl.
Z Bear
MVP

I would stop reading opinion pieces from that place, he was not. MAYBE third behind Jones and Mond. See below from SI

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft/202 ... stock-down

Stock Down
Jamie Newman, QB, Wake Forest

The former Bulldog opted out of the 2020 season and put a lot of stock into the Senior Bowl - he was a bit rusty. Newman flashed quality traits; he puts a lot of zip on the ball, can throw with touch, and has good arm strength. I love the fact that he is willing to take risks, but his decision making was questionable all week and into the game.

His awareness in the pocket was questionable all week. If Newman recaptured his 2019 form, he could have made himself a lot of money in Mobile, but that didn’t exactly happen. He’s still an interesting prospect with physical tools that will intrigue professional NFL teams.
wab
Mod

I like Newman a lot, but I think he's a 2 year project. I think he falls somewhere in that 3rd-5th round range.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:11 am I like Newman a lot, but I think he's a 2 year project. I think he falls somewhere in that 3rd-5th round range.
I've been seeing him slide a lot these days. Trask, Mills, and Mond are getting all the 2nd tier attention and he's generally not included. In 5, I'm probably OK with that and in 6 would be definitely good.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
karhu
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:31 pm
Tell me that doesn't remind you of a somewhat slower, somewhat less accurate, somewhat weaker arm Mitchell Trubisky that we've put up with for the past four years.
I think I see what you're driving at, though I don't draw the comparison as starkly. For one thing, Mond looked better as the game went on, and I usually have to wait until all hope is lost before I expect Trubisky to put anything together.

Devil's advocate, though: if a 21-year-old leads a team that was slapped together for a few practices, under a cobbled-together offensive system, and plays a game under a necessarily restrictive set of rules, and that guy reminds you of a four-year veteran, maybe that says more about the veteran than the college player.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:55 am

Devil's advocate, though: if a 21-year-old leads a team that was slapped together for a few practices, under a cobbled-together offensive system, and plays a game under a necessarily restrictive set of rules, and that guy reminds you of a four-year veteran, maybe that says more about the veteran than the college player.
https://tenor.com/view/drake-approves-c ... if-4635196
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:55 am
Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:31 pm
I think I see what you're driving at, though I don't draw the comparison as starkly. For one thing, Mond looked better as the game went on, and I usually have to wait until all hope is lost before I expect Trubisky to put anything together.

That's very true, and that's also why I'm NOT against Mond. It's just from a physical perspective, to me, he seems like a poor man's Mitchell Trubisky. But what really matters is what he's got upstairs and how he processes the field.

With his physical tools, if Trubisky had that, he'd be a GREAT QB. He doesn't, and he wasn't developing it...or at least not quick enough for our staff. Even with seemingly fewer physical attributes than Trubisky, if Mond can show that he can develop (as he obviously did in college), I would not be against taking him at all.
G08
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:31 pm Oops. I meant to post this clip of Mond at the Senior Bowl in support of my last post. I'll do it here.

I don't know man, I think Mond has a better arm. He throws such an easy fastball.

I think he needs to learn how to throw with better touch and loft, and I really don't like his ball carriage but that can be coached up (look at Rodgers when he was at Cal compared to his first game in the NFL).

Lot of talent in this kid, 4 year starter in the SEC... If he's there at 52 you almost have to take him, I would think.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wulfy
MVP

If you watch Mond vs Florida, you'll draft him in the first round.

Just don't watch the LSU game.
EricTighe
MVP

G08 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:25 am
EricTighe wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:59 am We have not proven to have the coaches capable of such experience. I believe this is the biggest reason we keep kicking the tires on older QB's.

I like DeFilippo quite a bit to develop a QB.
This the same guy who couldn't do anything with Trubisky last year? Wonder what he really thought of our QB situation?
To be honest I am not sure there is really a QB guru out there that really helps a QB more than their own desire to be great. Think of the best QB's out there and ask yourself who really helped them more than they helped themselves,

Mahomes credits Alex Smith more than anyone else for his development.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hot Take: Kellen Mond has some Patrick Mahomes-esque physical traits

Hotter Take: Pace is going to draft him at #20

cblaz11
MVP

Bump
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Eagles claimed Mond. Please say they aren’t giving up on Minshew!
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:36 am The Eagles claimed Mond. Please say they aren’t giving up on Minshew!
Browns claimed Mond. Eagles claimed Ian Book.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:25 am
Grizzled wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:36 am The Eagles claimed Mond. Please say they aren’t giving up on Minshew!
Browns claimed Mond. Eagles claimed Ian Book.
I thought it would make sense for the Browns to make this move. Must have missread it.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I feel good about this evaluation
IE
Hall of Famer

Ian Book is sort of a mini, personality-less Minshew without intangibles. If anything the Eagles aren't giving up on Minshew. But perhaps we'll see him traded to the Cowboys in the new few minutes. But GAWD I hope not I'd prefer the Rams. I'd hate to root for the Cowboys ever. Rams, I like.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!