Yogi’s Picnic Basket Senior Bowl Edition (2021)

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Remember when Jerry Angelo tried to address the Bears’ pass rushing needs in the draft with Michael Haines and then was forced to buy Julius Peppers as his pass rusher? Remember when he tried to draft his franchise QB in the first round in Rex Grossman and then was forced to sell out our future by trading two firsts and a second for Jay Cutler? Sound Familiar? I guess that’s the nature of every GM—when they fail to address a need through the draft and player development, they buy it. But don’t also remember that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

With this in mind, I would love to get Deshaun Watson, Derek Carr, or my personal favorite, Marcus Mariota (been wanting him since he came out). But at what cost? If you spend a fortune for a QB, how do you get him the support he needs when your draft resources and cap situation are so depleted? It seems like we’ve been here before. How many teams have successfully paid a fortune for an established QB? None that I know of. The Saints and Broncos were successful signing Brees and Manning, respectively, but they didn’t give up any draft resources. The Chiefs were successful moving up for Mahomes, but with a QB on a rookie deal, they didn’t give up any serious financial resources and they already had a Super Bowl contending team. We certainly aren’t that. Be careful with this strategy as you might end up like the Redskins with Robert Griffin III.

In reviewing our year, although most everybody points to the QB position as our biggest problem, I don’t think that was the extent of it. Hell, it wasn’t even the biggest. That ignominy rest with our offensive line. I’m not sure that any QB could play behind our line in the condition it was in. Don’t forget that Nick Foles won a Super Bowl with the Eagles, yet he imploded behind our OL. As such, it certaintly hasn’t been an environment conducive to developing a franchise QB. Don’t expect ANY of the QB prospects in this draft to develop behind crap we have now. And if you’re looking for a QB from the Senior Bowl to save us, you can forget about it. The best QB in that game is more like a poor man’s Mitchell Trubisky, which at this point would make him homeless. Lol I would keep the QBs we have, resigning Mitchell to an incentive laden “prove it” deal, and fix our biggest offensive issue—the line.

In free agency, I would let our chaff walk. That includes Spriggs, Ifedi, Coward. I would also let Patterson and ARob walk. They’re just not worth the money they’ll be demanding. I like ARob, but he’s just not a franchise receiver. Then I cut Bobbie Massie. We need a surge of new blood along the OL. I would pretty much stay away from signing anybody but lower priced free agents, with the exception of maybe somebody like Corey Davis who looked like he was just starting to see some of that potential that made him the fifth pick in the draft and could be had for less than half of what ARob wants.

With all of that out of the way, let’s look at this year’s Picnic Basket. It’s one of my favorites ever.

Round 1(20): Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB/S, Notre Dame, 6’2”, 216.

Until now, I’ve only talked about our offensive failings, but our defense was in complete disarray as well. In five of our last seven games, opponents scored more than twenty points against us, and in three of those they put up more than thirty. With the amount of money we’ve put into our defense and the talent we have, that’s simply unacceptable. Thankfully, most of our defense’s woes have been mitigated with the retirement of Chuck Pagano. Never have I seen a coordinator neuter his charges as quickly or as effectively as Pagano did our defense. DP was spot on in his initial assessment. Pagano took a bunch of wild dogs who inspired fear into opposing offense and converted them into a bunch of muzzled and chained lap dogs. Perhaps in his absence, we can once again reclaim our prior aggression.

Having said that though, our defense still has one fatal flaw—the pass coverage of Danny Trevathan. He no longer has the speed to effectively cover short range patterns, let alone deep ones. Remember Valdez-Scantling’s TD? Who puts their slowest LB in deep coverage against the offense’s fastest receiver? And how many times did you see Trevathan in coverage against Devante Adams in the short area? WTF?! But this flaw in our defense—weak coverage from too slow LBs—has been exploited by offenses for a while. Remember Kwit’s struggles against Green Bay on opening day back in ’18?

Owusu fixes that flaw in a big way. He’s a smaller LB at only 6’1”, 215. Having a presumed sub 4.5 forty, he moves like nobody’s business. With his size and speed, he can play either as a big nickel, as Deone Buchanon did some years ago for the Cardinals or he can actually play strong safety. He hits a ton and he’s rather adept at the Peanut Punch and creating game changing plays. I think it’s so important for the Bears to address this weakness that even if they don’t go for Owusu in the first, they should go after a big safety like Hamsah Nasrilideen or Divine Diablo in later rounds, preferably Nasrilideen. Still, it’s Owusu who most intrigues me. He could make our defense beyond scary.

Round 2(52): Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State, 6’6”, 315.

I considered a pure LT here like Walker Little from Stanford, but he’s been out of football for two years, having been injured opening day in ’19 and opting out this year. Besides, the biggest problem the Bears had along the OL this year, and for a while now (since Long started his string of injuries), has been toughness and attitude. We’re simply getting no push in the run game at all and not creating many creases at all.

Jenkins would change that mindset immediately. He’s a beast in the run game and he simply swallows up defensive ends in pass protection. This year, he only allowed seven pressure and no two in one game. Jenkins can play in either a zone or a power scheme. In a power scheme he simply overwhelms defenders and prosecutes a zone scheme with a vigor you rarely. He’s not content to just seal his guy. With his hand punch, he often puts them on the ground.

It should be noted that although most pundits have Jenkins going after our pick in the second and even third round, Mel Kiper actually has us taking him in the first at 20. And I’m okay with that. Changing the culture along our OL is that important. The void that Owusu fills can be addressed later in the draft with a “big” safety. But also a word of caution here. Although Jenkins started 35 games in four years for OSU, he went against Oklahoma with lower back issues. He then opted out of the rest of the season to “prepare for the draft.” That wouldn’t be a problem in and of itself, but Jenkins had also accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl, and he wasn’t there. Why? But if he’s healthy, he would be a major force for us from Day One.

Round 3(84): Quinn Meinerz, OG/C, Wisconsin-Whitewater, 6’3”, 320.

If Jenkins is a beast, Meinerz is a demon. He will put you down as soon as look at you. If you haven’t heard of him from the Senior Bowl, you haven’t been living in a cave for Covid. In Mobile, he proved that not only could he consistently put D3 opponents to the ground, he could do it to the best that college football has to offer. Throughout last week, he was putting his opponent in the dirt time and time again. There’s really not much to say, you simply have to see it:

Of course, that’s only D3 players, but it sure is fun to watch. Kind of like watching The Undertaker pummeling Pop Warner All Stars. Lol And then this weekend, he proved he can do it to the best in college too.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1356325850208108544

But not only is he physically intimidating and aggressive, he’s as tough as a T-1000 Terminator. Breaking a bone in his hand during Senior Bowl practices, he unsuccessfully argued with the National Coach to play in the game two days later. Clearly, he loves football.

Can you imagine Meinerz and Jenkins playing side by side on our right side (I would move Daniels back to center where he should be with Whitehair at LG)? We could open up an IHOP there. To me, finally changing the culture along our offensive line, treating as more than an afterthought, is far more important than any QB we could get. So much so, that I would be happy moving each of these offensive line picks up a round.

Round 5(148)Jaelon Darden, WR, North Texas, 5’9”, 174.

Somewhere in the bowels of UNT they have a super secret genetics animation lab. They must. How else could they have spliced the genes of Darnell Mooney with those of Mumble from Happy Feet to create the likes of Jaelon Darden. Lol Darden is like a slightly shorter Mooney with even quicker feet. Although small at only 5’9”, which will depress his draft spot, he’s an explosion waiting to happen. He tricks defenders the way I do to my cats with a laser light. He’s so quick, he’ll be dancing on defenders’ graves while breaking their ankles. Most don’t even know what hit them.

Oh, Darden is fast no doubt, but he’s much more than speed. He’s quick. He stops and starts on a dime. He shifts sidewise like a magician disappearing. Bill Cosby once described Gale Sayers as splitting into two, amoeba like. I think Darden splits into three or more. He’s so effective at this that he rarely takes a hard shot.

But he doesn’t only use this ability to make defenders miss, he uses it in running his patterns as well. You’ll see him in his pattern make a feint here, a shake there, and suddenly he’s gone, beyond the defender by five yards. He’ll be running his pattern, setting up the defender, and all of a sudden he slides three yards backwards to create separation which is exactly where the ball is coming down. It’s uncanny. It’s how he was able to score 32 TDs over that past two years! Oh, and he returns kicks as well. But this is something you have to see to believe. It’s one of my all time favorite clips. When I watch it, I can’t help but laugh. It just makes me feel good. Enjoy:

“Slow feet don’t eat.”

Round 6(198): Ben Mason, FB, Michigan, 6’3”, 254.

At the Senior Bowl, Mason proved he’s a better receiver than his 3 career collegiate receptions suggest. He’s also a better runner than his 37 career carries imply. Note that of those 3 receptions and 37 carries, he scored 9 TDs. That’s a score every four times he touches the ball. But make no mistake, Mason is all about blocking. Here’s a couple of them from the Senior Bowl:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1355616522895556613

https://twitter.com/i/status/1355664442093137927

He’s also a force on the kicking team, simply destroying people. Once again, it’s all about changing our culture on offense. Taking it to the defense and make them wish they never showed up.

Round 6(216 compensatory): Warren Jackson, WR, Colorado State, 6’5”, 215

This guy is the best receiver nobody’s heard of. And because he opted out and wasn’t invited to the Senior Bowl, he might continue to slip under the radar. He reminds me a lot of Marquess Colston, a former seventh round pick, only with more power, Brandon Marshall type power. He’s a more than willing blocker, and with his size, he’s usually very effective. That says much about his character.

Jackson’s primary problems are his route trees and his cuts. He has three basic routes: a go, a stop, and very seldom, a skinny post. His cuts…well, he has none. Everything he does is rounded. Still with height and extra long wing span he can catch over his shoulder, well away from the defender, or he can go back shoulder, or he can simply catch over the defender’s reach. In the red zone, he’s a nightmare. These attributes were sufficient to earn him 77 catches for 1119 yards and 8 TDs back in ’19.

But make no mistake, this is a receiver who needs work. He’s needs technique. He’s sluggish off the line but can build up to speed. His willingness to block displays his willingness to sacrifice to improve. This clips illustrates his potential:

He reminds me somewhat of what Y.A. Tittle to R.C. Owens’ alley oop must have been like back in the day.

Round 6(220 compensatory): Adrian Ealy, OT, Oklahoma, 6’6.5” 326.

Ealy moves really well for a guy his size, so much so, that Oklahoma pulled him regularly. Unfortunately, when he pulls, he often struggles to identify targets. When does though, he’s usually effective engaging. I mean that’s a load coming at you with momentum. In line, Ealy isn’t the masher like the other two prospects in this basket, although he does have his moments on occasion. What he’s really good at doing is turning his man and sealing for a zone scheme. Huge success rate there.

In pass protection, Ealy generally is able to mirror really well. His arm span also allows to protect against outside speed rushers. Where he struggles sometimes is with inside counter moves or simply straight power moves. This was apparent at the Senior Bowl as well. Ealy is not somebody who’s going to be able to come in and start right away. He needs to strengthen his base to be able to offset these inside counter moves. For this reason, although Ealy had a decent Senior Bowl week, he’s not going to climb as much as others when all is said and done. A good developmental prospect.

A note on this selection: all the draft simulators give me these two six round compensatory picks so I’m including them in this basket. They all also give the Bears the fourth pick in the seventh. I don’t know why. All the pundits mocks give that pick to Miami. I can’t think of any reason why Miami would have surrendered that pick to us, so I’m not including that pick here.

Conclusion:

There you have my initial Picnic Basket for this year. As with all my initial Baskets, expect movement from many of my prospects. Sometimes, my guys fall, but more commonly they rise, sometimes exponentially. I think that’s because what I see and identify is pretty apparent that everybody generally recognizes it. I mean if I can see it you know the experts and pundits can as well. I’m sure that some seeing the clips I’ve included will think that I’m exaggerating these prospects placements allowing me to draft them as steals. I can assure you though, that’s not the case. These are were these prospects are generally ranked today. In fact, I have successfully drafted these very players in several mock draft simulations (although to do so, I have to flip Darden and Meinerz). As the draft approaches, I expect many of these prospects to rise, because they are what they are. Many of these difficulties can be overcome with draft day trades, but as the draft approaches and player rise or fall, I’ll correct this basket trying to account for this and identify other draft prospects.

When a GM is first hired, he inevitably expounds on the importance of building through the draft. But then, as various of his draft picks fail, he starts to rely on free agency more and more. This is an attempt to but a team, not build one. In this, due to the salary cap, they usually fail. To build a successful team, you have to do it through the draft. You have to correctly identify prospects who won’t cost an arm and a leg to compensate for those who do. Look at our Quinn acquisition. How smart was it to spend a fortune on Quinn while giving up on Leornard Floyd? Oops. And then to force Quinn to play a position he himself concedes his ill suited for. Double oops. We need to make Quinn purely a defensive end again, as I said from the beginning.

Many label Mitchell Trubisky a failure simply because he’s not Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes. I don’t. He has shown marked improvement despite playing behind a ramshackle offensive line. How well would Mahomes have developed behind this line? Rather than give up on Trubisky, I’d prefer fixing the real problems of our offense. If you continually trade away your first round picks, how are you expected to build through the draft? We are just now coming into our first rounders again after the Mack trade. How can you expect to build through the draft when you immediately want to sacrifice those future first rounders again?

That’s why this is one of my favorite Picnic Baskets ever. It’s an attempt to return to the idea of building through the draft and not giving up on those you’ve already chosen. Even more, it’s an attempt to change the culture of our offense. Currently, our offensive line reminds me of our defense under Marc Trestman—passive and weak. Here, I’m attempting to change that culture by bringing in aggressive, intimidating linemen who will impose their will on opposing offenses. I’m sick of trying to win on offense through trickery. That only goes so far. All those who decry the condition of our offensive line should be buggy whipped if they are not clamoring for us to give up draft picks for a QB. How can we address our offensive line if we give up the resources to do so.

There, I’ve said my piece. I'll get off my pulpit now. And having gone through all this, the Bears will probably give up their future for the next three years for a QB. :frustrated:
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

It's pretty early yet and things can change, but right now, I can't see selecting anything other than an OT or QB in the 1st round.
Given the number of LB'ers there are in FA (cheap options), not sure I'd take one at all unless we got some extra picks from a trade.
But if we do get some extra picks, I like Paddy Fisher from Northwestern. Hard to tell where he'll probably go (anywhere from 3-6?) due to having a label as not being very athletic and limitations in coverage, but I think he would have shown more than expected at the combine.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

I'm the biggest Notre Dame homer on the board...but I'd be livid if Owusu-Koramoah was the Bears first pick.

Teven Jenkins is also getting a lot of R1 buzz, so the chances of him lasting until 52 is pretty slim.

And I know Meinerz made himself a lot of money at the Senior bowl, but I wouldn't take him over a WR at that point.

Lastly, the Bears offense has almost zero use for a traditional FB. They'd be better served spending that pick on a pure TE.

I appreciate the work that goes into this, I just don't think this moves the needle for 2021 at all.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Yeah, I hear your complaints. Like I said in the body of the basket, it's quite possible I'll have to drop Owusu as our first pick. For one, he's projected in many mocks to go before our pick. For another, as Wab points out, Jenkins is being projected in many mocks in the first now. In fact, Mel Kiper projects him to us at #20. Like I also said in the basket, I could see moving my whole mock up a round with Jenkins going first, Meinertz second, and Darden third. I absolutely LOVE the Darden pick. He's the most exciting receiver in this draft. Surprised neither of you commented on him.

If we do move up like that, I think we have to take a big safety to fill the role I had set aside for Owusu. A big safety like Divine Deablo might be had in the fifth. he had a pretty good Senior Bowl.
Z Bear
MVP

I don't feel the Darden in the 3rd pick, there were a lot of other shifty receivers that looked better than him at the Senior Bowl. Amari Rodgers, Demetric Felton, Marquez Stevenson, D'Wayne Eskridge and Cade Jonhson all played better than Darden throughout the week
wab
Mod

I don't have much of an opinion on Darden one way or the other. Living about 30 minutes from UNT, I got to see him pretty often.

He's pretty much exclusively a slot player and a gadget dude on jet sweeps and stuff. With Mooney and Cohen, he's kind of redundant, but you could do worse in the 5th round. I'd have some bones to pick if the Bears picked him in the 3rd.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Umm, Darden wasn't at the Senior Bowl. Don't know why. He was second in receiving TDs with 19, third in receiving yards, and fourth in receptions, while being a Biletnikoff semifinalist and Conference USA MVP. Plus he's exciting as hell. How in the world do you get an invite there?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:36 pm I don't have much of an opinion on Darden one way or the other. Living about 30 minutes from UNT, I got to see him pretty often.

He's pretty much exclusively a slot player and a gadget dude on jet sweeps and stuff. With Mooney and Cohen, he's kind of redundant, but you could do worse in the 5th round. I'd have some bones to pick if the Bears picked him in the 3rd.
Can speed be "redundant?"

And I don't think he's pigeon holed into the slot. Yes, that's his best spot, but he's so quick, he would be really hard to jam outside. If we can put Gabriel and Mooney outside, we can sure play Darden there some. He played there at times in college.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Appreciate the work as always Yogi. I have a few comments/questions:

1. What are your thoughts on Mustipher and Bars? I felt as though the played well and their play helped the line improve significantly over the last third of the season. And once Whitehair moved to LG, both his play and Leno's play improved dramatically. I think OL is still a major need, but our interior seems set to me and we really need to just find a RT to replace Massie. Then a LT next year to replace Leno. It's not quite as huge a need as I was thinking it was midway through the year.

2. QB. I appreciate your take on Foles and agree the hatred thrown at that guy was unwarranted. No QB, not Brady not Mahomes, no QB was going to succeed behind the line that played during that 9 game stretch (it did improve after that when we inserted a few new guys and moved Whitehair). THAT SAID, if you look at the last 20 super bowls (2001 - 2020), it's clear to me that the odds are greatly in your favor that you need an elite QB to compete for a championship. There are always counter examples, but the data is clear. 40 QB's have played in the game in the last 20 years. 17 of the 20 that won were ELITE QB's (the 3 others are Foles, Flacco, and Brad Johnson - and this year both QB's are elite so I counted it already) and 12 of the 20 that lost were elite as well, so 29-40 (could argue 30-40). Can you win with Foles or Mitch? Yea, I guess anything is possible, but everything else has to be just right and we are so friggin far from that it's not funny.

3. Back to OL. You want to draft 3 of them. We will only keep 9 max on the roster, and we already have as locks: Whitehair, Mustipher, Daniels, Bars, Leno. We just spent two picks on Hambright and Simmons. So you are throwing at least one of these guys away and forget any FA work at the position. There's only so many developmental prospects you can keep around, and if you draft these guys and try and stash them on the PS they'll get poached. I love the Jenkins pick, maybe pass on Meinerz. Instead of that pick, there's another position we need....

4. TE. I'd use that 3rd rounder on a TE, curious if there are any "receiver first" TE's that slot well into that pick. Or, thoughts on Pitts with that first pick instead of the LB? LB pick feels gluttonous IMO. I'm very high on Kmet and think he can play more of a recieving role than just the traditional Y role - but he is not the Kelce style U TE either. Plus Graham seems a likely cap casualty.
Z Bear
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:38 pm Umm, Darden wasn't at the Senior Bowl. Don't know why. He was second in receiving TDs with 19, third in receiving yards, and fourth in receptions, while being a Biletnikoff semifinalist and Conference USA MVP. Plus he's exciting as hell. How in the world do you get an invite there?
My bad, he must of backed out (like Trask). He was on the accepted invite list earlier, but is gone. I watched a lot of the coverage last week, had it on in the other room from my office. Was wondering why I did not hear much of him!
wab
Mod

RE the OL:
I think you have Leno, Daniels, Mustipher, Whitehair, Rookie. Bars is your primary backup along the interior.

Then you have Hambright, Simmons, and Traore as your developmental dudes.

Maybe you add a low cost vet to complete with one of the developmental guys. Or even Ifedi if he’s cheap and the rookie acts as the swing and replaces Leno in a year.

I think you can work with that for now.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:05 pm Appreciate the work as always Yogi. I have a few comments/questions:

1. What are your thoughts on Mustipher and Bars? I felt as though the played well and their play helped the line improve significantly over the last third of the season. And once Whitehair moved to LG, both his play and Leno's play improved dramatically. I think OL is still a major need, but our interior seems set to me and we really need to just find a RT to replace Massie. Then a LT next year to replace Leno. It's not quite as huge a need as I was thinking it was midway through the year.
This is the kind of thinking that got our OL into the position it's in now DP--"Oh, our line is okay, we don't really need to address it." I think that both Bars and Mustipher played well last year. They're serviceable, but they aren't ever going to be anything much more than that. I don't want serviceable. I want dominating. What happened to the old DP of just this past summer saying, "the game is won in the trenches." Yeah, I know. Watson hit the trade block. lol

I think that a lot of what helped our OL stabilize last year was the play calling. That quick release to Kmet was instrumental. We weren't forcing our QB to sit back and wait for a play to develop. Also, our run game did better because we actually used it. Montgomery's yards before contact was 1.9, which is actually worse than it was the year before. But 3.1 YPC against Green Bay and 2.58 against NO is NOT acceptable in my opinion.

I see Mustipher and Bars (and Leno for that matter) as the veteran linemen who are serviceable until we get our franchise linemen into play. I think that Jenkins can take over for Massie immediately, and IMMEDIATELY be a huge up grade over him on Massie's best day. I see Meinertz as our power guard and Ealy as the swing tackle (played both side in college) and eventual replacement for Leno.
2. QB. I appreciate your take on Foles and agree the hatred thrown at that guy was unwarranted. No QB, not Brady not Mahomes, no QB was going to succeed behind the line that played during that 9 game stretch (it did improve after that when we inserted a few new guys and moved Whitehair). THAT SAID, if you look at the last 20 super bowls (2001 - 2020), it's clear to me that the odds are greatly in your favor that you need an elite QB to compete for a championship. There are always counter examples, but the data is clear. 40 QB's have played in the game in the last 20 years. 17 of the 20 that won were ELITE QB's (the 3 others are Foles, Flacco, and Brad Johnson - and this year both QB's are elite so I counted it already) and 12 of the 20 that lost were elite as well, so 29-40 (could argue 30-40). Can you win with Foles or Mitch? Yea, I guess anything is possible, but everything else has to be just right and we are so friggin far from that it's not funny.
I know you'll scoff at me, probably the whole board will, but believe it or not, I haven't given up on Trubisky yet. I think playing behind our OL stunted his development considerably. Think David Carr here. Even still, I saw marked improvement from him last year. I think letting Mitchell go will prove as remorseful as letting Floyd go last year.
3. Back to OL. You want to draft 3 of them. We will only keep 9 max on the roster, and we already have as locks: Whitehair, Mustipher, Daniels, Bars, Leno. We just spent two picks on Hambright and Simmons. So you are throwing at least one of these guys away and forget any FA work at the position. There's only so many developmental prospects you can keep around, and if you draft these guys and try and stash them on the PS they'll get poached. I love the Jenkins pick, maybe pass on Meinerz. Instead of that pick, there's another position we need....
I see my three guys replacing Massie, Coward, and Ifedi. They were all on our active roster last year, so however we handled Hambright and Simmons last year is how I would handle them this year. I see a future line of Ealy, Whitehair, Daniels, Meinertz, and Jenkins, with Mustipher, Bars, Hambright, and Simmons,
as back ups.

You've been clamoring for us to address the OL in a big way for a long time. This does that. And in so doing, I'm bringing in guys who can actually impose their will on opposing defenses. That's what I really want to see. I want to change the culture of offense where we're actually dominating rather than trying to rely on trickery all the time. When you're dominating, trick plays are just icing on the cake. They aren't your staple food as they are now.

WAB--see my response to DP.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I like Darden, but if we lose Hicks, we will have to invest in the D line and live with our WR depth with maybe a cheaper FA signing. For 3rd-4th round D line, I like Tedarrel Slayton out of Florida. He's not flashy, but I miss having a space eating monster on the roster.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
cblaz11
MVP

Great work Yogi! Your basket has been something I’ve looked forward to every offseason for a LONG time. While I may not always agreed with the players, I love your research and approach.

Love the OT, love the WR....but man, we have got to go QB at some point right?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:06 pm I like Darden, but if we lose Hicks, we will have to invest in the D line and live with our WR depth with maybe a cheaper FA signing. For 3rd-4th round D line, I like Tedarrel Slayton out of Florida. He's not flashy, but I miss having a space eating monster on the roster.
I wasn't planning on losing Hicks. Certainly hadn't counted on it. I would be extremely disappointed if we do. He's my favorite Bear player right now. :(
cblaz11 wrote: Great work Yogi! Your basket has been something I’ve looked forward to every offseason for a LONG time. While I may not always agreed with the players, I love your research and approach.

Love the OT, love the WR....but man, we have got to go QB at some point right?
I really don't see it CBlaz, unless one of the Top 4 falls to us.

I really wanted to fall in love with Mond, but what I saw was a poor man's Trubisky: a guy who throws well intermediately with less velocity, a guy who has many more WTF throws, and a guy who's slower taking off.

Mac Jones just reminds me so much of A.J. McCarron. He'd get killed behind our OL.

Maybe a guy like Buechele late.

I really don't want anybody else in free agency or trade, unless you can get Mariota for like a sixth or something.

The problem on offense has been our OL as much if not more than our QB. I'd really like to see us address that, and then give Mitchell another shot at it. As our OL stabilized some last year, Mitchell showed marked improvement. What could he do behind a line that was actually intimidating, where our run game was threat even if they stacked the box? I also thought it was really fair to judge him on the beginning of last year what with Covid and all. Just not willing to write him off yet. Pace paid a lot for him, and I still remember what Floyd did last year.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Your boy Jenkins is getting some love and would have to be our first pick I think. I’m fine with him and Radunz 1 and 2.