My off-season in progress work

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I think the QB market is NOT going to be kind to us. Watson - out; Wentz - to the Colts; Carr - out.

I think Pace and Nagy will feel the pressure to "get it right" but can't overpay because if they do, they can't help the guy they get. This will leave them trading future picks for someone to have the picks they need this year.

So they will end up jumping the shark by giving the '22 first round pick and Foles to the Jets for Darnold. Foles get to help Zack Wilson who they draft at 2 to get ready for the NFL.

The only cuts they make are Massey and Skrine. They will rework Grahams contract to give him a salary of about $2.5 million this year and add a year to Hicks to help with the cap.

Given we are in cap hell, Fuller and a 5th will go to Vic in Denver for a second.

Miller will go to New England for a 6th.

Robinson is tagged and sent to the Ravens for a second.

I get that you can argue these trades seem to favor the Bears, but I think some teams will decide without the ability to have the combine or work out college guys like they have in the past, they will give up draft picks for vets. Pace and Nagy have to get lucky and I think they know it. So they take the risky move with draft picks.

In the first they will look at landing Darrisaw or Jenkins.

The second round has great talent this year IMO with little drop off from the first (I don't think it's top heavy but deep). We are set up with three picks in this round. Given what a crap shoot I think the draft will be, I'm just going to just have a cluster of guys, but we need to walk away with another OT, CB and WR.

The CB I would want the most would be Shaun Wade of Ohio State (and I hate Ohio State) with Eric Stokes of GA being my number 2 pick.

At WR you could go with Toney for Florida,. Moore for Mississippi or St. Brown from USC.

The guys at OT is hard to call as looking around the internet, these guys go from late 1 to late 2 so it's hard to get a feel for who would be there. But you have Brown from Northern Iowa, Mayfield from Michigan (likely would have to take him with the 1st pick which would likely rule out getting Wade); Eichenberg Notre Dame; or Radunz from N.D. State.

Then depending on how the second round shake out you look to take Rogers WR Clemson; Samuel Jr. CB Florida State (my favorite pick in the 3rd round); Monroe OT Texas A&M; or Humphrey C OK.

That leaves us with our 6th round pick, Miami's 6th (may just be a 7th), N.E.. 6th, 2 6th comp picks. I tend to not like having a bunch of picks here but this year, it could be great. Since scouting is going to be limited there will be some guys that would have jumped up draft boards that don't. So hopefully Pace's late round magic will pay off. Not idea who those guys will be though.

I think the most realistic result would be:

1 - Jenkins (I think Darrisaw will be off the board)
2a - Wade
2b. Toney
2c. Brown (if you get Darrisaw you look for Radunz as he is more of a LT IMO)
3. Humphrey (unless they are sold on Mustipher then you go with Rogers)

I think the first 3 guys would start day 1 and Humphrey may well.

The WR room scares me but with our cap it's going to be a hard off season. The hope is that out of the interior OL guys we have they can be "good enough" for the year and give Leno enough help so that the addition of Jenkins and possibly Humphrey Darnold can stay upright make plays and they can open it up for the running game which they will have to lean on.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:03 am
So they will end up jumping the shark by giving the '22 first round pick and Foles to the Jets for Darnold.
:o

Woof.
That could actually provide some competition to "a first for Rick Mirer".
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Yeah, I don't think anyone gives up that much for Darnold. That'd just bashing Pace for the sake of bashing him.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Rosen got a 2nd round pick, so a first next year is pretty close in value. Could be a bit high maybe get a pick back from them them like a 3rd
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Too many question on Darnold, was it Gase’s coaching or ? The Bears don’t need to give up a high pick for a reclamation project.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?