Draft Scenario: Trade Back Option

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The NY Jets want to trade up to #20 overall from their 2nd round pick. They offer: #34, #66, #129. (2,3,5)
Pace decided(or was told) to not trade up prior to the draft.
These players are off the board:

Trevor Lawrence QB
Zach Wilson QB
DeVonta Smith WR
Justin Fields QB
Penei Sewell OT
Ja'Marr Chase WR
Micah Parsons OLB/ILB
Trey Lance QB
Rashawn Slater OT
Patrick Surtain II CB
Caleb Farley CB
Alijah Vera-Tucker OL
Christian Darrisaw OT
Kyle Pitts TE
Mac Jones QB
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah OLB
Gregory Rousseau EDGE
Jaylen Waddle WR
Jaycee Horn CB

What do you do?
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Personally I'd take the deal: 34, 52, 66, 84 is a lot of equity with the possibility that Trask can still fall, lots of OT's available in day 2 and even a few WR's that would rebuild our offense to being competitive.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

That's awfully rich to move up fourteen spots. Not saying they wouldn't, mind you.

With only Sewell and Darrisaw off the board (I consider both Slater and Vera-Tucker to be guard prospects) I'd take the deal.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

I would with no second thought.

Then again, almost every scenario I want bears to move back in similar fashion. Unless a no brained pick falls I see no reason not to. I’m dead set on taking an OT with the bears first pick. But since it looks pretty deep there, if you can move back a bit and get more capital AND get a good OT prospect it’s a win win.
AC 46Blitz
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Absolutely in.

But it's pretty academic. Pace will very likely be dealing away the 20 for a QB.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:26 am That's awfully rich to move up fourteen spots. Not saying they wouldn't, mind you.

With only Sewell and Darrisaw off the board (I consider both Slater and Vera-Tucker to be guard prospects) I'd take the deal.
Trade value chart has it as 850 for #20 and 863 for the jets picks. Trading into the 1st does require some premium and I could see the Jets being eager for 3 1st rounders to build around
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:06 am
thunderspirit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:26 am That's awfully rich to move up fourteen spots. Not saying they wouldn't, mind you.

Trade value chart has it as 850 for #20 and 863 for the jets picks. Trading into the 1st does require some premium and I could see the Jets being eager for 3 1st rounders to build around
I'd do it and I agree it's pretty close based on "charts"

But as you point out there is a premium to get back into the first round due to the 5th year option that comes with the pick. (the difference in pick 32 and 33 is only 10). I don't think 13 points gets you there. But if we traded 3rd round picks with them and moved back three spots and they threw in pick 137, I think that's gets you closer to actual value the way teams view it with the 5th year option.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Jets have #23 from the Seahawks, not sure they’d offer that particular trade. I’d be open to other teams wanting #20 from lower in the 1st or high in the 2nd and offering two 2s and change. The OTs from ND, Oklahoma State, and North Dakota State should still be available as well as some good IOL talent, can generally be obtained lower in the draft.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.