Senior Bowl 2021: HB/TE/QB

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

QB - Wow. Loved Mac Jones. Shocked by how much. Maybe it's a stereotype - but I was really expecting AJ McCarron - Ok arm, ok accuracy made by having 9 NFLs around him. But Jones just looked awesome and with players around him he just met.

Quick decisions, tremendous accuracy(*), and a Stronger Arm than expected. (Heck he's even a better athlete than I expected- and he only ran when it actually made sense (see Kellen Mond write up) His path to being QB there reads like Brady - but the comp to me was Joe Burrow

Prediction: Carolina Panthers trade up to get him.

Book - ND - Clearly the 2nd best QB there - and I'm 50-50 if I'd use a draft pick on him. Athlete, and strong arm. When he makes a quick decision, let's it fly - it can actually look good. Unforunately that isn't the norm - so its flashes. I think he's a backup that can get better - but I could see a couple game run in like his 3rd Season when a more pocket oriented passer goes down and Defenses aren't ready for the athlete - Hype for a couple of weeks that comes crashing back to earth when defenses take the run away and give him looks that confuse him

Felipe - Arkansas - Nope. Looks big. That's about all I can say for him

Jamie Newman - I'll be nice and give him an Incomplete since he didn't play this year. Rust was very apparent. He throws a good deep ball - but you have to be able to do more than that.

Sam Ehlinger -Picture Tim Tebow - but with less college success and less athletic ability!!! And less size. Absolutely terrible. Arm somehow is not strong and not that accurate and no anticipation.
You can also time his decision making with a Sun Dial.

They were running 1 on 1s in the RZ (WR v. DB) - and he actually had a rep where he didn't make a throw. At all. There was no pass rush.

Still he will have a Charlie Whitehurst or Chase Daniel career - He can help a team as long as he never sees the Field for it

Kellen Mond - Somehow the MVP? Practices were much more mixed. It wasn't terrible, but flashes at best. He seems to want to run too much out of the pocket (really not helpful in a All Star format) and some of the runs were clearly too late (would have been sacked 3 seconds ago)

He did have a ton of College reps over 4 years and the TD to INT rate that last year was very very good. So being charitable (especially since he was better in the Game than in practices) maybe its new teammates and new offense in a short week that led to some of the inconsistencies. He has good size, athleticism, and a good arm - So he gives you tools to work with

HB -I liked this group (Two best guys not playing in terms of the tOSU and Alabama kids who are both STUDS)

Almost all of the talent was on the National team - Best American HB was Roundtree and he was probably the 4th/5th best HB overall - He's fine

Michael Carter - UNC - He's a bit on smaller side - but greatburst and breaks a surprising amount of tackles of a guy his size - Ellusive, good hands, tough to take down in space - I can see Cohen with more size comps - But he can probably run within the Tackles more and more successfully. Great keep the legs churning OL pushes him in from 5 yards out TD in the actual game itself. Small knock- Maybe some ball security issues? Just makes plays and eats up yards

Stevenson - Oklahoma - THICK powerful looking back - If I'm the Titans I'm looking at him in 3rd round or late 2nd as maybe a good backup option for that type of Offense

VT HB - Herbert - Good vision - really seemed to see the hole. Made a really nice jump cut too so he has that in his repertoire

Felton - UCLA - Actually took A LOT of reps at WR in practices (though he had a drop in the Game itself) - Helped himself doing this I was going to hit him some for some of the WR technique but then realized he was a HB and it looked alot better, He has Quicks for sure (burned a DB on a double move too) Routes are "iffy" overall (but this was week 1). Won with a nice slant route in the RZ

Mason - FB - He's going to be a Pro Bowl HB. Core Special Teamer - Can probably play some HB (I think he had more catches this week than in his entire career so by HBack I mean you can put him on the end of the line and he can probably block there too). You want to overdraft him in the 5th and watch him have a solid 10 year career? Works for me

Kylin Hill - Just a Guy

Chris Evans- Michigan - He is not Captain America (I'll see myself out) - Just a guy at best - better show some special teams chops or I don't think he makes a roster

Tight Ends - Pretty good group

Tre McKitty - Made himself some money - Really impressive physically looking TE - Underused in College. Reminds me of Jared Cook. The talent and athletic ability are very apparent. Made a nice one handed catch in stride - Hands might be good too

Gray - Duke - Solid pass catching only TE. Not sure he can block his shadow (same body type as the ND WR)

Long- TE - All Around type

Boise TE - Bates - Had a GREAT week, Good hands, really good in 11 on 11 - true safety valve for multiple QB, Might have had the most catches of ANY player in team drills (both teams)
Brent Celek?

Ole Miss Yeborah - Big body, I think there could be more here. I have lots of questions: Body Control? Big body but does he know how to use it? He's intriguing - in a lot of years he'd be the number 1 TE prospect