Senior Bowl 2021: WR/DB

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

WR - Another great group - I liked the National Group more overall

Nico Collins - Michigan - Impressive looking specimen - Commentators commented on him maybe not loving Football? (Or did they just happen to be making a general point and it was during his route??? Did sit out the Season). I believe the phrase is "body beautiful". 6'4
Nice Catch on Contested Ball, RZ just goes and gets it, Simply a Better Athlete than any DB on the Field, BIG Catch Radius

Rodgers - Clemson - I keep seeing him in the 2nd or even 3rd Round? I both do and don't get that - Its a great WR class but man he is good). Did have one drop I saw, but he was just clearly better than the DBs on whatever he wanted to do, Quick. Think he can line up both inside and outside - so you can get creative, Beautiful RZ Catch, In Game VERY tough Catch in End Zone (took a big shot but snatched it out of tight window), "Just Really Good"
Shades of Deebo Samuel's Senior Bowl week

Darby - Arizona State - Routes? followed by "Great Win", Nice hands (Can he get off Press? Does it matter with how teams use WR these days?), Pretty Smooth Athlete, Nice adjustment Catch in Game itself

ND 81- Showmoek? Won some routes on Day 1 (TV Day 1 - I think real Day 2), has some Talent - I thought he was a TE with that body type - Think he got hurt? Was beating DBs, I might like him more if he actually was a TE

Eskridge - FAST! Hands are only Ok. Gets out of Breaks very well - Shades of Ty Hill

Toney - Florida - Had a great year - Looks super quick (and thin), Didn't have a great week of practices - Multiple Drops, Good RZ win though, You can tell the Athleticism though, Quick, Fast and tremendous Body Control

He's a guy to go back and watch the Tape on (maybe it was just the crappy QB play for Senior Bowl week? Drops probably just a sample size issue)

Shai Smith - McShay really likes him, He looks fast at least but not a ton of size - I did not fully see it

Palmer - Tenn - They were raving about him - I did Not see it - Probably the biggest disconnect I had (some guys came in highly rated but had bad weeks and commentators acknowledged that - Not here). He DID make some plays (Nice RZ win in particular where he high pointed the ball),

But overall I thought they were a bunch of better guys there - Didn't get the hype

Powell - Clemson - He's clearly a step down fro Rodgers - but THIS is an NFL WR who could be good - and he might be there in the 5th Round (this was one player I saw Pre- Senior Bowl and I thought he was good in the Loss to Ohio State),

Watkins - UAB - Thought he had himself a nice week- Nice Routes, Good Hands - Noticed the Routes and Hands multiple times, I will be curious on what he runs (Ceiling will be told there) - Floor is a Solid NFL WR (Shepard on the Giants?), Nice RZ win, Has the ability to make the wins look pretty easy

Surrat - I think he hurt himself - Came in ranked like the #10 WR overall. and he might not have been the 10th best in just the Senior Bowl group - The problem is he's kind of Slow and that doesn't look great for 1 on 1s - Not his game. I think he's got great hands (caught a low throw In Stride - the type of play most WR catch but go to the ground to get). But if you can't get separation - everything is an uphill battle

Fitzpatrick - Louisville - Won some reps - But was kind of "meh" to me - That said I think he's an NFL player just not a great one, Loss in RZ

#83 Jefferson?- Body Type Guy, He's Fine, Just a Guy

Houston - Stevenson - Just didn't do it for me - Didn't seem to have that "knack" , Lots of "Eh", Drop, No play, No Knack

Grimes - Florida - Not overly sold , made one nice catch on a back shoulder throw in end zone, but I think he's a Special Teamer, Lacks Suddenness

LSU (#17 I think it was McMath? not sure) - Upside guy maybe? Throw a 7th round grade if he runs well and hope you can coach him up

DBS - Not a ton to write about here - Most will be just a guy, lack speed

Guys I did like

Hamlin - Pitt "DB" (Lined up a lot at Corner - but I think he's a SS at the next level). He competes, he is smart, a little chippy, I don't think he has pure speed to really be a Corner - But I think he'd make a helluva SS, pretty long for DB

I plan on having him in many Mocks in like the 4th

Richie Grant - S - Made a lot of plays , Made alot of $$ too , I could see him coming off the Board in the 2nd Round

Oklahoma - Brown (not Norwood - Norwood sucks) - SPEED and recovery, Nice win (read QB then INT), Great Rep v. Collins, Lost to ND, Did I mention Speed?

Taylor - Washington - Better in Team Drills and Game than one on one (probably speaks to lack of top end speed), Nice PD in 11 on 11, Handsy

Minn - St Juste - Bunch of PD - He might lack recovery speed but had a good week, Made a few plays in the Game itself

DJ Daniel - Georgia - Maybe something here?
(Ditto: Mills - Had PD in the game, Nice RZ rep , maybe he's a Nickle?)

Aaron Robinson - Well Ranked - Im not sure I saw a single rep of his so its hard to judge: Incomplete

Just a Guy or Worse: Uphoft, Norwood, MichiganThomas, Nasirldeen, Shawn Davis