Should Jacksonville Trade The #1?

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 12
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I've been going through and doing mock drafts for the Bears and lately I've been thinking about Jacksonville with the #1 pick.

Should they trade it?

In life, the way to make money is to sell an asset at an all time high or an overvalued price.

QBs have been going for insane premiums this offseason.

If I was them I would trade the pick for the following reasons:

1) They have Gardner Minshew who is still under a cheap rookie deal and has improved each year. Last year he posted a 95.9 rating per Football Reference. Given more time to develop and proper coaching why couldn't he be a 100 rated passer? Jacksonville already has a QB.

2) The hit rate on QBs in the draft is not good.

3) The premium price associated with acquiring a QB.

Jacksonville is not a team that is one player away from fixing their problems.

Let's use the Goff trade as a basis.

The Titans got:

2 first rounders
2 second rounders
2 third rounders

The Rams moved from 15 to 1 in the first round to make the pick.

With the way the cost of QBs has been going up, why couldn't Jacksonville make that same trade and still stay in the lower part of the top 10 this year? Why couldn't they get more? Say 3 firsts, 1 second and 2 thirds?

On the flip side of this, the optics of trading away a #1 pick can be disastrous if Lawrence turns into the next Andrew Luck.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/tre ... -1-overall
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

No way.

I love Minshew's upside - relative to a R3 pick.
Not relative to a super strong consensus 1st pick in the draft.

Lawrence certainly has potential to be worse than Minshew, but there's a ton of potential to be better.
Jacksonville needs a franchise QB badly.

Plus, they get 5 years to build with Lawrence, but only 2 years to turn it around under Minshew, before they'd have to decide on big money or not.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I don't think they should either.

In my opinion, draft capital needs to be turned into players to have value. Lawrence is exactly the kind of player you're hoping that draft capital puts you in position to acquire.

All draft picks are prospects, true. And some prospects don't develop. But others do, and then you have the player all teams are hoping to get.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

if you pass on lawrence and he becomes a hall of famer, as a franchise you absolutely never ever live that down.
if you take lawrence and he ends up a bust? no one blames you, everyone thinks he's a sure thing.
Z Bear
MVP

No freaking way. Being as I live in Jacksonville and have friends with season tickets, they absolutely need a face of the franchise. They last tried to push Jalen Ramsey and that backfired shortly thereafter when he demanded a trade.

True story!!!! One of my season ticket holders friends sent me a Facebook post from one of the guys he goes to games from in 2017. He had just watched Bartram Trail (high school for my neighborhood) get torched by Lawrence's Cartersville. It legit said "With the 2021 first overall NFL draft pick the Jacksonville Jaguars select Trever Lawrence from Cartersville, GA."
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

There's no position in sports as critical as a franchise QB. If Jacksonville legitimately believed Minshew was the guy, sure, hold up another team for an obscene number of high picks (look what SF gave up to move to #3) to fill more holes. They obviously don't so it's a no brainer.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

This is a bad poll
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

Generational player.
AC 46Blitz