19%
Neither
13%
Draft More Than One QB
6%

Total votes: 16
wulfy
MVP

It seems like Trask, Mills and Mond have clearly defined themselves as the "next tier" of QBs ... anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th Round.

My question is ... which one do you want?

I'm starting to think you hedge your bet and draft two of them. Throw them in the gladiator arena and let them battle it out for who is the "prospect" to groom for the future. I personally would go Davis and Mond - but it could be any combination or maybe even a lottery ticket like Jamie Newman or Sam Ehlinger.

I remember when the Washington FT drafted both Heath Schuler and Gus Frerotte ... and it turned out Frerotte was the better QB. They then repeated that a few years later with RG3 and Kirk Cousins. In both cases, the lower draft QB was the more prudent decision.
wab
Mod

If the Bears don't trade up in R1 for a QB, out of the next tier I like (in order):
Mond
Mills
Trask
Newman
Ehlinger
Book
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Not a fan.

QB is one of the few positions where you can't put 2 of them on the field at the same time.
If you make 2 picks, more often than not, it means 1 of them won't get much of a shot, and you've wasted the pick.
Generally, I only buy into that strategy if you're taking one (or both) really late, and can stash & sit them for longer stretches of time.

If you take 2 Tier 2 QBs this year - none of them should play in 2021. That will give you only 3 years to play both of them and make your decision on paying or cutting bait. And, even if one works out, you'll probably have very little of the 'cheap contract' time left to enjoy.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

on potential:

Mills
Trask
Mond

Newman

Franks

forget it

But factoring in (guestimated) draft position and value, Newman is probably first, and Franks second, with the others only a consideration if they last longer than current frenzied rumors.

karhu
Head Coach

In both cases wulfy mentioned, Washington followed a first-rounder--who they fully expected to be a long-term starter--with a day three pick. In 2017, that would have made sense for us, but not this year. Whichever QB we choose will need a lot of work, probably for an entire year, before he's ready to play in anger. And we'll need to know by next year whether he's worth further development (whether he'll be ready to step up by 2022, either to be our primary backup or to start). I don't mind the idea of throwing numbers at QB, but this year seems like a time to develop someone more deliberately than that.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
wulfy
MVP

Except you are shopping at Kohl's instead of Neiman Marcus this time around.
karhu
Head Coach

Fair point. I'd feel a whole lot better if we'd kept that fourth-rounder. Newman with one of our sixth-rounders wouldn't be bad at all, even if we've already found a QB at...the old Carson Pirie Scott?
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mond and mills are basically interchangeable for me at the top, as far as 2nd tier QB's who might be something. beyond that i dont think it's worth wasting a pick on a at-best career backup.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I voted Trask because he fits the mold of what I think Nagy wants. If he wanted to groom a running WB, he would have continued to work with Trubisky instead of trying to get him to stay in the pocket in ‘19
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:47 am mond and mills are basically interchangeable for me at the top, as far as 2nd tier QB's who might be something. beyond that i dont think it's worth wasting a pick on a at-best career backup.
Pretty much... mint chocolate chip or cookies n' creme?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I put Mond because he has a huge arm, good ball placent and I like his quick release. I'm torn on him or Mills though. Hopefully whatever mojo Nagy concocted in 2017 that led him to the conclusion that Maholmes was a generational talent will still work in 2021. I just want the draft to get here so Pace/Nagy can get their guy and I can start anointing him as the next best thing.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I don't think this is the year for two drafted QBs. I wouldn't want either of them to play this year, so I'd keep both Dalton and Foles. I think that's the plan. I can't see carrying four QBs on the roster. It's too hard to even carry three. One would have to be assigned to the practice squad, and if he shows anything at all, somebody will poach him. Maybe next year, when this year's rookie QB becomes proficient enough for back up duties (or starter), then we can move on from either Dalton or Foles and draft another QB next year.
G08
Hall of Famer

Agreed with the above. Can't wait to see who the kid QB is and can't wait to anoint him as the savior :lol:

Also don't want him to see the field until 2022.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Mond. He's a 4 year starter at a big time program, excellent arm, able to make tight throws, decent mobility. Of course he needs more seasoning, any college QB does.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:58 am Of course he needs more seasoning, any college QB does.
Yeah, we're talking about QB's who are potentially going to fall to round 2. They are all going to come with their own baggage.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:54 am If the Bears don't trade up in R1 for a QB, out of the next tier I like (in order):
Mond
Mills
Trask
Newman
Ehlinger
Book
No love for Franks?? I think he is clearly above Ehlinger and Book (who I actually think is the worst QB in the draft that gets any amount of coverage - that guys awful).
wulfy
MVP

I won't be disappointed with either Mond or Mills ..... although I prefer Mills. And I've resigned myself that they will have to draft whichever they like in the 2nd round, despite probably being 3rd or 4th round grades. Excited about finding out who the next QB is to break my heart.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The sooner I get a name and number, the sooner I can order a jersey and begin regretting it.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:30 pm The sooner I get a name and number, the sooner I can order a jersey and begin regretting it.

https://www.nflshop.com/chicago-bears/m ... r3c2:po-11

Saves time and money!

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I voted neither.

I'm not a fan of drafting QB 6 or 7 and using a second round pick when the OL is swiss cheese.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:25 pm
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:30 pm The sooner I get a name and number, the sooner I can order a jersey and begin regretting it.

Saves time and money!
lol.... sadly I already have 2
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:25 pm
Moriarty wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:25 pm

Saves time and money!
lol.... sadly I already have 2
:-P

What I don't understand is who the hell is buying a Trubisky Bears Jersey right now "marked down" to $60??
That seems like something that ought to be on clearance at $10-20.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I live in Maine and we've got this store called Mardens that's like a closeouts-type store. One day a few years ago I walk in there and I see racks and racks of Navy and Orange jerseys (and colts jerseys too) and there's all these signs proclaiming "a sporting goods warehouse burned down in Indiana and we're passing the savings on to you!" or something morbid like that. I'm like helllllllll yeah time to grab an insanely cheap jersey! I love obscure and/or weird jerseys!

And I swear to god there were like a million shea mcclellin jerseys. And I'm in Maine so if I buy one, this will ironically be funny to me and me alone and I just couldnt do it. But god there were so many jerseys! Like it felt like somebody made the world's biggest miscalculation and I hope somebody got fired over it. (somebody besides phil emery)
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Whoever it is will need to sit for a year. I think Nagy wants to run more shotgun and just spent 3 years unsuccessfully training an NCAA QB who only started for a one year. There's an argument that Mond would be the preferred choice for Nagy.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:47 am
wab wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:54 am If the Bears don't trade up in R1 for a QB, out of the next tier I like (in order):
Mond
Mills
Trask
Newman
Ehlinger
Book
No love for Franks?? I think he is clearly above Ehlinger and Book (who I actually think is the worst QB in the draft that gets any amount of coverage - that guys awful).
Eh, I'm not a Franks fan. He's got a cannon for an arm, but that's....about it. He's mobile-ish, he takes weird sacks, his anticipation and timing is off a lot which makes his accuracy pretty suspect.

He's like a lower-tier Brock Osweiler.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:30 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:47 am

Eh, I'm not a Franks fan. He's got a cannon for an arm, but that's....about it. He's mobile-ish, he takes weird sacks, his anticipation and timing is off a lot which makes his accuracy pretty suspect.

He's like a lower-tier Brock Osweiler.
That...is a remarkably spot-on assessment.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Hoog
Player of the Month

I like both Mond/Davis for starter in 2022 or 2023 but no starts this year. I don't like Trask at all. If the Bears like Mond or Davis, they may have to move up from our second round pick into the bottom of round 1 or top of round 2. I'm not sure I thrust this group to go up and get the right one though.