How About A 'Not My Guy' Thread

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:35 am
crueltyabc wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:03 am

I think wab meant CB Greg Newsome and I completely agree with this take. The offense has been trash for most of this team’s existence and it’s gotta stop
Yep. I keep seeing Newsome mocked to us and I keep getting pissed about it. I'm sure he's a fine player, I just can't believe we'd go defense with our first pick.
Well the only thing I can think of is we need to come out of this draft with at least one OT, WR and a CB. I think the drop off in CBs from the first round to the second and third rounds is a much bigger dropped compared to the drop in OT and WR. Still don't know if I think that is a good move, but I at least see the rational for going CB first.
wab
Mod

wab wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 am If we are strictly talking about pick #20, it's any defensive player honestly. Although if it was Newman, I'd probably just swear at the TV and not toss a brick through it.
I think wab meant CB Greg Newsome and I completely agree with this take. The offense has been trash for most of this team’s existence and it’s gotta stop
Stupid autocorrect. But yes, Newsome.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:04 am

Stupid autocorrect. But yes, Newsome.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Any WR generally save and excepting the 2nd coming of Megatron and Randy Moss.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Anyone in the first. Trade down and get additional 2-4 rnd picks.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Hmmm, a "Not my guy" thread. OK, I read the whole thing, but sitting here pondering the title. I've forgotten what the thread is for. All I can think about, in relation to "Not my guy," is of course:
Matt "F****n*" Nagy.

P.S. OK, I'm sorry

P.S.S No, I'm really not.

P.S.S.S Under the "Brilliance" that is Matt Nagy, Bears 2021 Season:

I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Grizzly One wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:13 pm Hmmm, a "Not my guy" thread. OK, I read the whole thing, but sitting here pondering the title. I've forgotten what the thread is for. All I can think about, in relation to "Not my guy," is of course:
Matt "F****n*" Nagy.

P.S. OK, I'm sorry

P.S.S No, I'm really not.

P.S.S.S Under the "Brilliance" that is Matt Nagy, Bears 2021 Season:

I echo your sentiment on the peter-principled quarterback coach.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
karhu
Head Coach

Mills. Whoever started the Rosen comparison was on to something.

A trade up. At any point, for any reason. Except, maybe, just maybe, to draft Fields.

A CB in the first. We've drafted four CBs in the last two years. We've got two Blackhawks-style reclamation projects among a whole buncha guys with a chance to become our #2. Cutting your #1 was an avoidable stupidity; doubling down by ignoring bigger needs just to cover your tracks is...something I can see Pace doing.

A WR in the first two rounds. The cupboard is pretty bare, especially when you figure Robinson isn't long for the team (and he shouldn't be, not when you consider his expectations and our prospects). And I want one or two. Just not early. Too many positions of greater need, where a few good picks could really lift the roster.

Collaboration. Halas Hall is plague-ward sick, but I'm still going to try to read our draft as the product of a singular human intelligence. Because that's what it should be, as many people provide observations and insights before the actual decisions are made. Besides, I need to know whose face to paint onto my reflex bag.

And finally, Ryan Pace. I was already done with the guy, but the Athletic's profile of Morocco Brown highlighted exactly the kind of guy we should be considering as our next GM. It's one thing to be down on a muppet like Pace; it's another to know who you want in his stead.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 am If we are strictly talking about pick #20, it's any defensive player honestly. Although if it was Newman, I'd probably just swear at the TV and not toss a brick through it.
This.

Although i'd extend it to any Defensive player in the first 4 rounds.

Offense, offense, offense, offense and then if in doubt, more offense. After round 4 take a few fliers on LBs and Safetys so that we can hopefully move on from Ejax and Roquan in a few years when they are too old and expensive
dplank
Hall of Famer

I really want offense as well. But if for some reason the top 5 QB's, Top 5 WR's (includes Pitts), and Top 5 OL (4 OT's+Vera Tucker) are all gone when our pick rolls around, then that would mean we have the 5th ranked defensive player available to us and I'd be ok with that.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I'm going to supplement my answer and change the question a bit. The question was dealing with picking at 20. I've spent some time looking at Trey Lance videos lately and I want zero to do with that guy in a trade up (some places out there show us doing that). I don't think he is going to do much in the NFL. Sure he has some great highlights, but it's against lower tier competition and the offense he runs is very simple.