How About A 'Not My Guy' Thread

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

We all have our favorites for who the Bears should pick at #20. Who would cause you to throw a brick through the tv if they picked him? For me, it would be Davis Mills. I think they need a WR but Rashod Bateman would be my #2.
Last edited by Grizzled on Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
EricTighe
MVP

Any QB not named Fields or Lawrence
UOK
Site Admin

I would not be overly pleased if the Bears went WR or Fields in round one. Fields has always come off to me as the most un-special quarterback, right there with Sam Ehlinger, in this draft class. None of the top WRs of this class feel like they're worthy of a 1st round pick.
IE
Hall of Famer

63 TDs to 9 INTs, UOK. Playing top competition. What more does the kid have to do to be special?

My "not my guy" is leaning towards Mills unless they can get him by standing pat and getting him with the 2nd. Which I think is a fair risk for a potential starting QB.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'm pretty firmly against any WR in Round 1 who isn't a complete physical freak (even Bateman, whom I love). I'm talking a Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones level of physical freak.

Absent that, I am of the mind that WRs are almost as fungible as RBs, and don't favor using a Day 1 pick on them.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Any TE (Pitts isn't making to 20), any WR (unless Waddle or Chase falls), anyone on defensive side of the ball unless a CB, Mils, Mond, or Trask (who I like but he will be there much later).
UOK
Site Admin

IE wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:33 am 63 TDs to 9 INTs, UOK. Playing top competition. What more does the kid have to do to be special?

My "not my guy" is leaning towards Mills unless they can get him by standing pat and getting him with the 2nd. Which I think is a fair risk for a potential starting QB.
Just eye-test stuff, which is obviously not any metric worth a damn, especially coming from an armchair mcgee like myself. When I watch Mond, for example, I see the shortcomings, but his arm is dynamite when it's pointed in the right direction. Is he worth a first? Fuck no, but he'll go in the first because the NFL is quarterback stupid right now.
EricTighe
MVP

Not sure Mond will go in the first. Well unless we reach for him.

Desperate people do desperate things. Nagy and Pace are defiantly desperate right now.
IE
Hall of Famer

I like Mond most out of the QB 6-8 guys right now. I've formed this opinion from JT Osullivan.

That said, he's still "not my guy" if that meant picking him at 20. Now if they trade down and get him and an OT I'm great with that.
wab
Mod

If we are strictly talking about pick #20, it's any defensive player honestly. Although if it was Newman, I'd probably just swear at the TV and not toss a brick through it.
cblaz11
MVP

Kellen Mond....kid is just not a starting NFL QB...he might not even be a quality backup candidate.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Davis Mills, especially at 20.

My worst case scenario, not a "guy" per se, is a big trade up for QB4 or QB5 in this draft. That will set this franchise back another 5-6 years and I'm starting to worry I'm not going to live long enough to see this team win another super bowl.
EricTighe
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:00 am Davis Mills, especially at 20.

My worst case scenario, not a "guy" per se, is a big trade up for QB4 or QB5 in this draft. That will set this franchise back another 5-6 years and I'm starting to worry I'm not going to live long enough to see this team win another super bowl.
I am having that same scary thought.
UOK
Site Admin

I can't believe that Mills and Mond are in the discussion for 1st round picks. These are guys who in a sane world go rounds 3-5. I just don't get it.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:04 am I can't believe that Mills and Mond are in the discussion for 1st round picks. These are guys who in a sane world go rounds 3-5. I just don't get it.
I wouldn't put too much into it.

It happens every year, these dudes get hyped up in the news and eventually get taken where they belong. With the odd cisrcumstances in 2020, I could see Mills/Mond being worth a 2nd if you have some serious conviction about them...but not in the first.

Look no further than Jacob Eason last year. Every talking head on TV had him as a top 12 pick. Draft day rolls around and he ends up going in the 4th. Same with Jake Fromm, Anthony Gordon, and James Morgan. They were looked at as the tier 2 guys who could go in the 2nd. Morgan went in the 4th (with Eason), Fromm went in the 5th, and Gordon went undrafted. Cole McDonald went in the 7th and he was also in the conversation. Khalil Tate, Bryce Perkins, and Kelly Bryant were all supposed to be hidden gems that would get drafted way higher than anyone suspected. They aren't even on rosters.

In 2019 Will Grier was that guy who could sneak into R1. He went in R3.

In 2018, Mason Rudolph...like Mac Jones...was the guy who could sneak into the top 10 (in fairness he was my favorite QB that year...yeesh). Kyle Lauletta was a 2nd round steal. He went in the 4th. Luke Falk and Alex McGough were hot prospects. They went in the 7th.

2017 was the year where a record number of QB's were supposed to go early. Trubisky, Watson, Kizer and Mahomes were sure fire top 12 guys. Davis Webb, and Brad Freaking Kaaya were touted as potential first rounders. CJ Beathard, Nathan Peterman, Chad Kelly and Jerod Evans (the sleeper of the draft) were supposed to dominate the 2nd round. They all went R3 or later (Evans didn't even get drafted)

It happens every year. Hell, Geno Smith was once considered by the sports media as the #1 overall pick.

Things generally work out as they should when the draft rolls around.
dplank
Hall of Famer

...and not a single one of those QB's were any good...this miss rate on QB's is just extraordinary.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:42 am ...and not a single one of those QB's were any good...this miss rate on QB's is just extraordinary.
I think they were taken where their talent dictated...as developmental players. Which is basically what every QB outside of the top 5 really is.

The point isn't really that they were misses, but the hype surrounding tier 2 QB's is weird. The spin that the networks put on these guys puts them in an unfair disadvantage when it comes to fan expectations. That's why we (fans) consider them busts or mistakes when they ultimately were drafted where they should have been. I don't know that you can really consider a day 3 QB that doesn't develop as expected, or gets pushed out by a vet, really a "miss".

When you look at real actual scouting reports, those guys were all taken about where those scouting reports said they'd go. But oh no.... sports entertainment shows know better.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

NOT MY GUY would be trading a crap ton of draft picks to move up unless if it’s for Lawrence.

I’m also against drafting a WR in the first or second round.

I’m all about building the OL with the first two picks. Whatever happens after those first two rounds whatever.
wulfy
MVP

Not sure there are any players I really don't like this year, but there are positions .... I don't want to invest any more in Edge Players.

If I had to pick Player(s), it would be either of the Miami (FL) Edge guys: Phillips or Rousseau. More of a program bias, probably.
Wounded Bear
MVP

EricTighe wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:20 am
Desperate people do desperate things. Nagy and Pace are defiantly desperate right now.
Yeah, I heard there are new rules at Halas Hall to neither corner nor look Pace or Nagy directly in the eye. They are to be considered feral.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Z Bear
MVP

Anyone outside the top 5 QBs or OTs . The Bears' big board should look like this in round 1:

Lawrence > Wilson > Fields > Jones > Lance > Sewell > Slater > Darrisaw > Jenkins > Cosmi

OK maybe if Chase, Smith, Waddle, Sutain, or Horn are there, otherwise trade back.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Any WR in this draft under 5'11. There's a lot of them.

Any interior D lineman inside the first 2 rounds.

Any interior O lineman inside the first 2 rounds
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

No WR or RB in Round 1. Period.

No trade up for a QB--give up too much.

Other than that, I'm not a big fan of either Trey Lance or Kyle Trask, for different reasons.

Trey Lance: You know, everybody talks about how inexperienced Davis Mills is, Lance is even worse, against far lighter competition. Mills threw 438 times for 3468 yards in college. Lance threw only 318 times for 2947 yards. Quite frankly, I'd take either Mond or Mills over Lance.

Kyle Trask: I just don't think you can get away with a statue of a QB anymore. I'd rank him the eighth QB in this draft, and wouldn't want him before the third round.

Having said that, if we were to take either of these guys, I could quickly talk myself into liking them. ;)
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

cblaz11 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:47 am Kellen Mond....kid is just not a starting NFL QB...he might not even be a quality backup candidate.
Agree. Do not want anything to do with this guy.

Trask or Mills, even Newman or Ehlinger down 5th-6th rounds before Mond. Book as UFA.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:42 am ...and not a single one of those QB's were any good...this miss rate on QB's is just extraordinary.
I think too, when you're a Brad Kayaa or a Kyle Lauletta or a million other guys like them, the odds certainly are stacked against you. You're either in practice squad purgatory, or best case scenario you're tasked with running the scout team.

Yeah it's an extraordinary failure rate, but lets not pretend that any of these guys are actually getting the grooming that an NFL qb needs to succeed. There's zero meaningful reps, nobody's designing offenses around their strengths, it's just sort of hoping that they magically turn into starting quality qb's and it's true: if it ever happens it's an extreme outlier.

I hope the XFL manages to squeak it's way back because I think there's always going to be a place for an NFL developmental league.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the Bears history with their #1 pick shows they are better off trading it than trying to actually think they understand how to use it themselves

trade it for a few lower round picks and a starting quality O-line member, preferably a LT
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wulfy
MVP

It's an extraordinary failure rate, but until the Bears are successful in lobbying the NFL in banning the position, they'll have to figure it out somehow.
IE
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:30 pm It's an extraordinary failure rate, but until the Bears are successful in lobbying the NFL in banning the position, they'll have to figure it out somehow.
:rofl: :frustrated: :censor:
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 am If we are strictly talking about pick #20, it's any defensive player honestly. Although if it was Newman, I'd probably just swear at the TV and not toss a brick through it.
I think wab meant CB Greg Newsome and I completely agree with this take. The offense has been trash for most of this team’s existence and it’s gotta stop
xyt in the discord chats
dplank
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:03 am
wab wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 am If we are strictly talking about pick #20, it's any defensive player honestly. Although if it was Newman, I'd probably just swear at the TV and not toss a brick through it.
I think wab meant CB Greg Newsome and I completely agree with this take. The offense has been trash for most of this team’s existence and it’s gotta stop
Yep. I keep seeing Newsome mocked to us and I keep getting pissed about it. I'm sure he's a fine player, I just can't believe we'd go defense with our first pick.