Hoog's Last Before the Draft

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Hoog
Player of the Month

Here is my last Mock before the draft (enjoy):

Pick #20- TRADE

Bears trade pick #20 to the New Orleans Saints
Bears receive- Pick #28 (1), Pick #98 (3-comp), Pick #105 (3-comp)

Bears essentially get two top of round 4 (actual 3rd round comps) for moving down 8 spots. With my main targets (Mac Jones, Christian Darrisaw, and Jaycee Horn) gone at #20, I decided to move down. I figured one of my next tier guys would be there at #28 (Sam Cosmi, Kadarius Toney, Teven Jenkins, Greg Newsome) and I picked up some extra picks.

Pick #28 (1)- Bears select: Sam Cosmi, LT, Texas

We get our LT of the future at pick #28. This kid is quick, athletic, great at pass blocking, solid at run blocking, has a great hand jab, really good foot work, but needs to refine his stance a bit as he can get upright and sloppy at times. We can certainly figure that out for him. This pick also allows us to waive Leno and maybe pick up some needed depth parts when teams have to cut down their rosters. Leno has been serviceable but there is a noticeable drop in the last two years. I am very comfortable moving forward with Cosmi and Elijah Wilkinson at LT.

Pick #52 (2)- Bears select: Davis Mills, QB, Stanford

Andy Dalton is our starter this year so I guess we have to accept that fact. I have Davis Mills and Kellen Mond as my second tier QB’s that I really like. I like Mond’s experience and improvement, but I am taking Mills here because I like his upside more. He has the make up to be a very good NFL QB. It’s all there but the experience and production so far. I hate spending a pick on someone who won’t play in 2021 but we just can’t totally ignore the QB situation we have and I think this kid will be worth the wait. I see him as the starter in 2022.

Pick #83 (3)- Bears select: Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB, Syracuse

Sites differ on where he will go in the draft but the majority I looked at still have him there for this pick so I wouldn’t hesitate to take him. Some sites also say he could be moved to safety or be a big slot CB. I see the kid as a tough, physical, lanky outside CB that would pair really well with Johnson. His size will be an asset in the NFL. He needs a bit of refinement but I can see him as a day one starter or being eased in by the 4th/5th week. Either way, the kid will be paired with Johnson for a long time.

Pick #98 (3-comp)- Bears select: Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn

This kid can absolutely fly and could be our equivalent to Tyreke Hill for our offense. It’s a guy Nagy needs in his offense. Speed (Mooney) and Speed (Schwartz) on the field at the same time will only make our offense more dangerous. This kid is a bit more track than football right now but with a few improvements, he could be the difference maker in our offense. He is a bit thin but has some height and is a willing blocker or can run a defender off if needed on plays he isn’t involved in. Robinson, Mooney, and Schwartz would make a dang good receiving core.

Pick #105 (3-comp)- Bears select: Chazz Surratt, LB, NC

A very athletic and talented athlete who has shown versatility at NC. Great size, speed, and agility. He has the skills to be a top LB in the NFL. He just needs more reps at one position and some good coaching to get there. I see him as a fill in back up LB and special teams guy his first year and a replacement for Danny T in 2022. He is a really good fit in our defensive scheme we run for LB’s. No doubt he’s a starter down the road and a great value here at this pick.

Pick #164 (5)- Bears select: Tommy Doyle, OT, Miami, OH

TRADE:
Bears trade pick #208 (6) and 2022 6th rounder
Bears receive pick #165 (5) from Indianapolis Colts

Pick #165 (5)- Bears select: Tamorrion Terry, WR, FSU

Seeing him still on the board but wanting Tommy Doyle also, I traded up to get this player for his potential. He is a tall, speed burner, with some very good, unlocked potential. He could turn into a huge production WR and another valuable deep threat for us. Needs some major work on his route running and consistency but you just can’t pass on the potential here.

Pick #204 (6)- Bears select: Zayne Anderson, S, BYU

You don’t hear much about this kid but he has good size, excellent speed (4.45), and solid athletic ability for the safety spot. He also did some nickel and LB last year. He is an above average run defender and an improving coverage guy. He has really good game awareness and is active in all situations. Like the kid as a special teams guy and a replacement for Gipson in 2022.

Pick #221 (6- comp)- Bears select: Robert Jones, IOL, Middle Tennessee

He plays OT at Middle Tennessee but is built and made for the inside. He has great size for inside, he is a mauler, but also has some good pass set up to him. Very sturdy, good work horse, great technique, could fill in at RT if needed. Very fundamentally sound but has no flash to him. He is what he is and eventually could be a starter at OG in the NFL.

Pick #228 (6- comp)- Bears select: Naquan Jones, IDL, Michigan State
Lots of potential unrealized with this guy at MSU. They had high hopes for him to be a stud but he was more solid than stud. He has lapses but is powerful at the point of attack, good punch and anchor, but lacks consistency and motor. If we can get the potential out of him he could be a steal and be another Hicks or Nichols. He has that potential in him. At this stage in the draft, he is worth a flier. If nothing else, bulk him up, and he can be a solid back up NT/IDL.
wulfy
MVP

That's some nice work, Hoog! I like the draft a lot - love the reasonable trade down in the first. The high number of QBs going early should push some talent down (especially defensive talent) to 20, thus creating value for the pick.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Hoog, I too like the work. I'm warming up to Cosmi as the second OT we have a real shot at (Darrisaw would be a guy I like but don't think we have a shot at him being there and I like Jenkins a bit more than Cosmi, but Cosmi is an athletic freak for an OT.
Hoog
Player of the Month

Thanks Wulfy and Ark. I have Darrisaw as my #1 pick at 20 if he is there and I wouldn't trade down if he was there. Ark, I like Jenkins too but just not sure if he can be a LT in the future whereas, I see Cosmi there from day one. I'd be happy if we took Jenkins but much more happy with Cosmi. The other two guys besides Cosmi and Jenkins I REALLY like are Kadarius Toney and Jaycee Horn. Both those guys are solid, solid, picks at 20 or after. I'd be happy coming away in the first round with Darrisaw, Cosmi, Jenkins, Horn, Toney, Newsome, or Mac Jones.
wulfy
MVP

I like Yung Joka (aka Toney) also, but he's more of a trade down/move up in R2 pick for me.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I really like Cosmi in that trade down. You know, when I first started my process this offseason, he was listed usually before #20, and his Pro Day did nothing to change that. Damn was it good.

I also like the Mills pick, but quite frankly, I don't think he's going to be there. Since you don't take Mills in the trade down, I like you're idea of sitting at #52 for our QB. Although I don't think Mills will be there, I do think that Mond will. And that's a good alternative that you recognize.

I like how you went small fast receiver in Schwartz and big with Terry. I agree with that philosophy. I have to say though, I looked also looked at Schwartz early in my process, and I'm not a big fan. Yeah, he has a ton of top end speed, but his lateral agility is for shit. His cone and shuttle are for shit for somebody with his diminutive size and flat out speed. I'm not totally against the pick, but I think there are better speed guys lol ;). One thing you'd have to worry about him with his lack of lateral agility in the NFL is him getting injured. Unless he can outrun defenders, he's not going to be avoiding many hits. He would certainly open up the field for us though.

All in all, a good draft with a good game plan that I'd be very happy with.

One thing I'm looking at with a trade down is taking Mills, then addressing CB in Round 2 (if guys like Mayfield or Radunz aren't there) and then going OT in the third with somebody like Walker Little or D'Ante Smith or Adrian Ealy.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Hoog, the more I think about it, the more I LOVE the first round trade you came up. So much that I stole the idea and went and did a draft working with that plan. Started out with completely following your lead

28. Cosmi
53. Mills.

at 83 I was able to trade back to 87 and get some more picks. In fact traded back a few times.

87. Dwayne Eskridge WR Western Michigan

98. Robert Rochell, CB Central Arkansas (had to get my guy)

120. Stone Forshthe OT Florida he played LT for the Gators but is likely our future RT. It's one of the reasons I think Cosmi may be a better fit for us that Jenkins since Jenkins is a RT and there are some solid prospects for RT later in the draft and we need both.

140. Jonathan Marshall DT Arkansas St. The guy will be a clogger in the middle may not get much pass rush from him though.

164. Garrett Wallow, LB TCU my favorite late round LB who could be a starter in a few years and play special teams and a backup next year.

204. Tariq Thompson, S San Diego St

221. Simi Fehoko WR Stanford. As I watch Mills I keep seeing this guy make plays
Hoog
Player of the Month

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:08 pm Hoog, the more I think about it, the more I LOVE the first round trade you came up. So much that I stole the idea and went and did a draft working with that plan. Started out with completely following your lead

28. Cosmi
53. Mills.

at 83 I was able to trade back to 87 and get some more picks. In fact traded back a few times.

87. Dwayne Eskridge WR Western Michigan

98. Robert Rochell, CB Central Arkansas (had to get my guy)

120. Stone Forshthe OT Florida he played LT for the Gators but is likely our future RT. It's one of the reasons I think Cosmi may be a better fit for us that Jenkins since Jenkins is a RT and there are some solid prospects for RT later in the draft and we need both.

140. Jonathan Marshall DT Arkansas St. The guy will be a clogger in the middle may not get much pass rush from him though.

164. Garrett Wallow, LB TCU my favorite late round LB who could be a starter in a few years and play special teams and a backup next year.

204. Tariq Thompson, S San Diego St

221. Simi Fehoko WR Stanford. As I watch Mills I keep seeing this guy make plays
Hey Ark, me cassa su cassa brother. Steal what you need! I would gladly take your draft also because most of those guys you took were in consideration for my draft. Love Rochell and Wallow. Forsithe/Thompson I like as well. Warming up to Fehoko quite a bit after researching more. Excellent job!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I like your trades and I like the realistic pick of Cosmi. However I just have a disagreement about drafting a QB.

I want to draft two starting OL, but very interesting work with the trades.