Ryan Pace v Jerry Krause

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Who wins in a draft day Battle Of The Brains?

Ryan Pace
25%
Jerry Krause
75%

Total votes: 4
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

OK men, it's The Irresistible Force v The Immovable Object.

Ryan Pace v Jerry Krause

TEST YOUR MIGHT! MORTAL KOMBAT!

Ryan Pace drafts for basketball. Jerry Krause drafts for football.

They each have the same number of picks and placement in each round.

Which one screws up their draft the most?

Just to recap some of their gems:

Ryan Pace:

Mitch Slap
Kevin White
Adam Shaheen
Leonard Floyd
Jonathan Bullard

Jerry Krause:

Marcus Fizer
The Triple Failure of trading Elton Brand and drafting Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler.
Jay Williams (missing out on Yao Ming)
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Krause had misses, sure, but he was a scout's scout and a HOF GM. He had experience in baseball before moving over to basketball. Of course, he would have drafted Watson in 2017, the Bears would have won the '18 SB, and then Krause would have been resentful for all the attention Watson was getting and broken up the team.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:59 am
Jerry Krause:

Marcus Fizer
The Triple Failure of trading Elton Brand and drafting Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler.
Jay Williams (missing out on Yao Ming)
Jay Williams was going to be a good player. The motorcycle thing was all on him. Also, wasn't Ming drafted before him?

Losing Elton Brand was Jordan's fault. He had such a pathological hatred of Krause that he was poisoning everyone he could against the Bulls. Brand and Jordan had the same agent and the Bulls knew Jordan had likely made sure Brand would never come back. So, rather than lose him for nothing, they got something.

Chandler maybe didn't become the superstar you'd hope for at 2, but it's not like he was a bust. He played almost 20 years, won a championship as a starter, made the all-stars, won Olympic gold, and was NBA defensive player of the year.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

If you look 100% at nothing about Krause's personality, behavior, stature, etc, and only his transactions, he's one of the best GMs in Chicago sports history. That said, he seems to be, by all accounts, a cretinous, covetous, slovenly pain in the ass who I would never want to work for or with.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:11 am If you look 100% at nothing about Krause's personality, behavior, stature, etc, and only his transactions, he's one of the best GMs in Chicago sports history. That said, he seems to be, by all accounts, a cretinous, covetous, slovenly pain in the ass who I would never want to work for or with.
He made some brilliant moves:

Hired Phil Jackson
Traded for Scottie Pippen
Traded for Dennis Rodman
Drafted Horace Grant
Drafted Toni Kukoc

HOWEVER

He dismantled one of the greatest teams in NBA history, after coming off their second 3-Peat. I'll never forgive him for that.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:19 am
UOK wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:11 am If you look 100% at nothing about Krause's personality, behavior, stature, etc, and only his transactions, he's one of the best GMs in Chicago sports history. That said, he seems to be, by all accounts, a cretinous, covetous, slovenly pain in the ass who I would never want to work for or with.
He made some brilliant moves:

Hired Phil Jackson
Traded for Scottie Pippen
Traded for Dennis Rodman
Drafted Horace Grant
Drafted Toni Kukoc

HOWEVER

He dismantled one of the greatest teams in NBA history, after coming off their second 3-Peat. I'll never forgive him for that.
Sure, but it wasn't like he was trying to build a loser afterward. He continued to harvest good talent, but he fucked up with his coaching hires and burned every possible bridge he could along the way.

This is a pretty good recap.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Jerry Krause inherited the greatest basketball player past, present and future. He could’ve traded for or drafted any number of people and they would’ve won with Jordan.

When that was taken away he couldn’t accomplish Jack shit.
wulfy
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:10 am Jerry Krause inherited the greatest basketball player past, present and future. He could’ve traded for or drafted any number of people and they would’ve won with Jordan.

When that was taken away he couldn’t accomplish Jack shit.
I'll start this with I really didn't like Jerry Krause.

That said ... but they didn't win until those particular players, with that particular coach was brought in by Krause.

Orlando Woolridge, Dave Corzine, Kyle Macy, Gene Banks .... couldn't get the job done.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I think you nailed it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:57 pm
I think you nailed it
The greats quite often are :)

Of course an NBA GM is among the least important GMs in the major sports. That said, he did the job, even if it took Reinsdorf reigning on some of his impulses. He would never be a modern NBA GM though. Due in part to some of the cap/FA decisions in the NBA, it's way too played driven and Krause was, to say the least, not a relationship guy.

But kind of a weird comparison. I'd say Pace is much more like Krauses successor, Paxson. Minus the temper (that we know of).
karhu
Head Coach

Yeah, GarPax might be a better comparison. Pace has a lot of Kenny Williams about him, too, but Williams has, y'know, won a World Series as a GM.

Krause drafted a bucketload of future all-stars after Jordan left; he also hired his fishing buddy as head coach, and things never came together. There's a reason so many voters held their noses and elected him to the HoF. Pace is...not on the same career path.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
karhu
Head Coach

Heck, after the Vucevic trade, Pace might be more of a poor man's AKME.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:24 pm Heck, after the Vucevic trade, Pace might be more of a poor man's AKME.
He also might be more of an ACME guy

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.