Final draft, putting myself in Pace's shoes

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

This will be my final stab at this year's mock draft. I'm approaching it from the view I think Pace must have - have to "win now" but also have to fix the QB spot.

To me that means fixing the OL, getting Dalton some help at WR and still getting a young WR we can build around. So to me that means getting a QB early and getting more draft picks. With that in mind, I took the approach of the Ravens when they landed Lamar Jackson - trade back in the first round to recoup more draft capital and then move up from the second round to the end of the first.

I made two trades. The first was with the Saints sending them #20 and getting #28, 98 and 105. The second was with the Ravens getting picks 31 (first) and 136 (fourth) in exchange for 52 (second), 83 (third) and a 3rd round pick in '22.

With that our picks go as follow:

28 Samuel Cosmi - OT , Texas. I think he has the potential to have Leno get a ride to the train station with Rip before the first game.

31 Davis Mills - QB, Stanford I think if he gets past Tampa at 31 there is an 80%+ chance he would get to our pick at 52. But Pace can't afford to gamble on that given the reality of what he has to do this year to stay employed. My hope is that he is QB# all year and not active for any games. He's the future, not the now.

98. Rondall Moore, WR, Purdue. I know many will scream he won't be here, but I think he will. Everyone wants the next Hill, but Hill is small at 5'10", Moore is a shrimp at 5'7". It was hard for me to pass on Chazz Surratt, LB NC, but he didn't fit into the "win now" and get a QB for the future that I'm working under.

105 Robert Rochell, CB, Central Arkansas - you knew I wasn't passing on him.

136 Tylan Wallace WR, OCU. Still not the perfect size (5'11") but not horrible.

164 Stone Forsythe, OT Florida. I think he can be our starting RT before years end.

204 Garrett Wallow, LB TCU. He's a special teams guy and backup this year who can grow into the starters role. Plus he eats Nick Niemann for breakfast.

208 Mchal Monet, C Penn State. Needs some depth there.

221 Caden Sterns, S. Texas. With his former head coach on staff, I think he gets the nod over late round safeties.

228 Jonathon Adams, WR Arkansas State. This guy is a big bodied WR who can help out instantly this year in the red zone.

I think by year's end, this draft nets us both of our starting OT, our nickel CB, 2 WR who will see the field and a LB and sefety who will play on special teams.

The following year Rochell can step up to CB2 and Wallow can replace Danny T.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Would love it if the ploy for Mills worked. Putting him at risk though. Not sure he'll get by Tampa, in which case, you're whole ploy failed....

Do like Cosmi a lot. What about taking Mills with that pick and then moving back for a tackle. Cosmi might still be there, so will other OTs.

I'm really not sold on Rochell at all Ark. Look at those reps from the Senior Bowl I posted in my Picnic Basket thread. I think he lost every single one of them. Not encouraging.

Three receivers seem like a lot. I'd use one of those early spots for a safety.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi it may not have been clear. I think he will get by Tampa but they won’t risk that which is why they take him one spot ahead of Tampa.

I’ve watched Rochell a lot (plays where I went to college and still my home town so make almost every game) and the guy is just a player. He’s a great kid with his head on his shoulders and he’s still learning the spot. Think he was a WR only in high school and his firs year at UCA. So I think he needs the “red shirt” year in the NFL playing the slot but think he’s a guy who can make it. But then again you know my track record - lots of epic fails.
howitzers26
Rookie

Why are the Ravens trading out of 1st round and only getting one 2nd rounder and two 3rds in return? 31 to 52 is a long way down, and they have lots of holes to fill--and mind you--having the chance for a 5th-year option that only a 1st round draft pick gets lost. Not saying the bears couldn't trade back into the 1st round--but if I'm Baltimore's GM Eric DeCosta (assuming he's over Jerry Angelo's Gabe Carimi trade gaffe from years ago when he was AGM to Ozzie Newsome), I'm not moving out of the 1st round (even if its pick #31--it still has a 5th-year option and teams highly value that) for one 2nd rounder that's 21 picks away and two 3rd rounders. Especially if Terrence Marshall, Rashad Bateman, Toney, or Moores (Rondale/Elijah) are still there.

Anybody who has the ability to get Charles Leno off the roster (I'll settle for the bench) I can get behind.

I don't think Rondale Moore will be there at 98 unless a bong picture appears suddenly.

Not to put OP on the spot because trades have to make sense for everybody and fans/pundits alike tend to defer to the 'value' system assigned to draft picks or just because when it's never that simple. I guess I'm just curious--who is New Orleans moving up for?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'm a believer in the value of 2nds and 3rds relative to 1st rounders so if the Bears can move down in 1 and snag extras in those other rounds, Pace can plug the OL, WR, and developmental QB positions. A 5th and four 6th rounders, hopefully he can trade up into the 4th or higher in the 5th.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
G08
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:54 pm I'm a believer in the value of 2nds and 3rds relative to 1st rounders so if the Bears can move down in 1 and snag extras in those other rounds, Pace can plug the OL, WR, and developmental QB positions. A 5th and four 6th rounders, hopefully he can trade up into the 4th or higher in the 5th.
2nd round is my favorite round in the draft. So much freaking value.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

howitzers26 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:49 pm Why are the Ravens trading out of 1st round and only getting one 2nd rounder and two 3rds in return? 31 to 52 is a long way down, and they have lots of holes to fill--and mind you--having the chance for a 5th-year option that only a 1st round draft pick gets lost. Not saying the bears couldn't trade back into the 1st round--but if I'm Baltimore's GM Eric DeCosta (assuming he's over Jerry Angelo's Gabe Carimi trade gaffe from years ago when he was AGM to Ozzie Newsome), I'm not moving out of the 1st round (even if its pick #31--it still has a 5th-year option and teams highly value that) for one 2nd rounder that's 21 picks away and two 3rd rounders. Especially if Terrence Marshall, Rashad Bateman, Toney, or Moores (Rondale/Elijah) are still there.

Anybody who has the ability to get Charles Leno off the roster (I'll settle for the bench) I can get behind.

I don't think Rondale Moore will be there at 98 unless a bong picture appears suddenly.

Not to put OP on the spot because trades have to make sense for everybody and fans/pundits alike tend to defer to the 'value' system assigned to draft picks or just because when it's never that simple. I guess I'm just curious--who is New Orleans moving up for?
On the trade with the Ravens, teams haven't been able to conduct proper evaluations on players in this year's draft due to COVID. So from what I've seen online most teams have about 20 players they give first round grades too that are worth the draft capital. Likely these list are vastly different from each team and if no one is left out of their list, they would want to move back.

Also a pick in next year's draft lets them take a player they get to do more research on, so the drop in value for a pick next year isn't as great IMO.

I forgot to say the '22 may be a second with them sending back a '22 4th or something else. From a value stand point the trade is pretty close to the chart.

You could be right about Rondale, but he's the guy with lots of hype in this years draft I see taking a free fall. Fans and media may be all over him, but I think most teams will be put off by him being 5'7"
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Don't the Raiders always take those speed receivers far sooner than they should?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:43 pm Don't the Raiders always take those speed receivers far sooner than they should?
Well there is that.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The crayfish boil is delicious. One I also suggest is Lake Trout boil, with potatoes, onions, carrots, dill seed, and butter. Lake Trout is really fatty but the boiling removes much of it. A Scandanavian/Midwest favorite.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.