Chicago Bears: Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Z Bear
MVP

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021 ... -february/

5. Chicago Bears (projected trade w/ Cincinnati): Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
Part of every draft process is the rise and fall of opinions surrounding the top QBs. This past week, Tony Pauline reported that there are concerns surrounding Fields among NFL teams. When it comes to raw talent, there is no doubting what Justin Fields brings to the table. His arm strength and ability to make difficult throws look easy will mean at least one team rates him as a top-five selection.

The best chance Fields has to succeed in the early part of his NFL career is for a team that is already a borderline challenger. Therefore, a team like the Bears, who have been fringe playoff contenders the past few seasons, could be a perfect fit. Fields has the arm for the often harsh conditions in the Windy City.

This trade sees the Bears giving up the 20th overall selection, their 2022 first-round pick, and at least one second-round selection in either 2021 or 2022.

:ashamed: :sick:
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

That would be light to move up that far.

I'd consider it!
IE
Hall of Famer

I hate the euphemisms and innuendo. "Concerns", huh? Well what exactly are they? In detail, using examples.

What does the kid have to do, besides complete 70% of his passes and lead his team for 2 years dominating the really good big ten? He loses to Clemson in the championship as a sophomore and comes back this year and just dominates them... I love that. 400 yards and 6 TDs passes. Best player on the field that day - a field that included Baby Jesus Lawrence. And what do I see people doing? Giving credit to a running back (don't get me wrong - I love Sermon)?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

I mean, there are concerns. His pocket awareness needs som work, he needs to get better at going through his progressions, and he needs to stop freezing when he gets blitzed.

I’d still draft him.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:32 pm I mean, there are concerns. His pocket awareness needs som work, he needs to get better at going through his progressions, and he needs to stop freezing when he gets blitzed.

I’d still draft him.
Those are some of the absolute hardest things to Fix in a QB

And IE Tim Tebow his Senior Year was nearly 68% Completion Percentage - that is not how you scout
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Fields has the same tendencies to overcome that Prescott and, to an extent, Watson had coming out of college.

And comparing Fields to Tebow is just ludicrous. Well, I guess they both played QB, so there's that.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:47 pm Fields has the same tendencies to overcome that Prescott and, to an extent, Watson had coming out of college.

And comparing Fields to Tebow is just ludicrous. Well, I guess they both played QB, so there's that.
Tebow was actually quite high in completion percentage in College. You can look it up sir.

My point was that it's not a super helpful tool in the abstract
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:49 pm That would be light to move up that far.

I'd consider it!
I absolutely hate the idea of trading multiple picks to move up to draft a QB, unless it's the consensus #1 player like an Andrew Luck was, or Trevor is this year.

That said, this compensation is on the low side to move up this far, and I might just pull the trigger if we aren't able to land Watson or Russ, which is my preferred path by a light year.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:52 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:49 pm That would be light to move up that far.

I'd consider it!
I absolutely hate the idea of trading multiple picks to move up to draft a QB, unless it's the consensus #1 player like an Andrew Luck was, or Trevor is this year.

That said, this compensation is on the low side to move up this far, and I might just pull the trigger if we aren't able to land Watson or Russ, which is my preferred path by a light year.
What about a trade for Minshew instead? The cost should be lower and he's more proven.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:27 pm
dplank wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:52 pm

What about a trade for Minshew instead? The cost should be lower and he's more proven.
I would prefer this myself

What are we thinking Minshew costs - 3rd Rounder?
wulfy
MVP

Being the resident Buckeye Homer, I love Fields and I think he's going to be a really good pro.

Do I think he's the second best QB in this draft? No, I think Wilson is.
Would I give up that package to draft him? Yes

My QB Rankings:
1. Lawrence

2. Wilson
3. Fields

4. Trey Lance
5. Mac Jones

6. Davis Mills
IE
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:10 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:27 pm

I would prefer this myself

What are we thinking Minshew costs - 3rd Rounder?
How about a trade for a defensive leader? A Hicks? I've thrown out the idea of Fuller for Minshew and people didn't like it. But to me it makes sense because it kills two birds (cap, keep the pick - which may be a 2nd rounder). Of course a top 3 pick then would need to go to a CB. But defensive players are better when they're young and hungry, IMO.. a young defensive backfield should be a goal. If you're costing $11MM at CB you had better make the probowl, and be getting more than a handful of INTs. You have to be a team leader. Fuller is just really kind of replaceable, in context.

But yeah personally I'd even give up a 2nd for Minshew. But he going thinking seems to be a 3rd or even 4th. I think it's obvious there's going to be demand way beyond a 4th.
IotaNet
MVP

wulfy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:27 am Being the resident Buckeye Homer, I love Fields and I think he's going to be a really good pro.

Do I think he's the second best QB in this draft? No, I think Wilson is.
Would I give up that package to draft him? Yes

My QB Rankings:
1. Lawrence

2. Wilson
3. Fields

4. Trey Lance
5. Mac Jones

6. Davis Mills
I’m also a huge Buckeye homer and I agree with you. Also really dig this post ... well done.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
WP.1
Player of the Month

J. Fields pro day

first ~5 min. two really bad throws
last ~5 min. put on a show/flawless

Fields great performance.
wulfy
MVP

I'd love to see this kid in Navy and Burnt Orange.

IE
Hall of Famer

Fields is having his second pro day today, I understand... looking forward to the video. But I really do think all the tape you need to see on the guy is the NYD Clemson game. How does a guy perform on the largest stage and the brightest lights.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

IE wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:53 pm Fields is having his second pro day today, I understand... looking forward to the video. But I really do think all the tape you need to see on the guy is the NYD Clemson game. How does a guy perform on the largest stage and the brightest lights.
the whole 2 pro day thing was explained in a podcast I was listening to...there are no private work outs this year. A second (or 3rd if needed), is for coaches to hand a set of plays and circumstances for the player to work through in the same way he would in a private workout. There is enough interest in Fields and Lance for them to run a bunch of plays they haven't practiced or scripted.

If you only need one game, Foles won the superbowl and was MVP. Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves...
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
IE
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:53 pm
IE wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:53 pm Fields is having his second pro day today, I understand... looking forward to the video. But I really do think all the tape you need to see on the guy is the NYD Clemson game. How does a guy perform on the largest stage and the brightest lights.
the whole 2 pro day thing was explained in a podcast I was listening to...there are no private work outs this year. A second (or 3rd if needed), is for coaches to hand a set of plays and circumstances for the player to work through in the same way he would in a private workout. There is enough interest in Fields and Lance for them to run a bunch of plays they haven't practiced or scripted.

If you only need one game, Foles won the superbowl and was MVP. Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves...
Yeah - lack of combine is driving more workouts.

Let me clear up what I meant on this Fields comment: My point of "all you need to see" was I don't need to see him practice throws on tape after that game... I don't see what you could learn in his workout at this point. I mean he's thrown like 6:1 in the last 2 years at OSU. He might be even better than Minshew. ;)
wab
Mod

I've sorted of intentionally tempered my feelings for Fields.... because Ohio State QBs. But man, some of the stuff that dude can do is wild. I've got a pretty big crush on the guy honestly. I just know there's no way he's a Bear, so I just try not to think about him much.
wulfy
MVP

I get the Ohio State QB thing, believe me .... but this guy isn't cut from the same cloth as Joe Germaine or Kirk Herbstreit or Craig Krenzel. The closest they ever had to a player like this was Terrell Pryor - but he had a ton of personal demons that got in his way of being able to play football.

If it makes you feel any better, he wasn't a Buckeye recruit - he's a transfer from Georgia. (Think about .... Georgia let both Jacob Eason AND Justin Fields go).
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:16 am I just know there's no way he's a Bear, so I just try not to think about him much.
I've never been interested in Fields, but the sentiment of "he'll never be a Bear" is on point. I'd almost be more upset if the Bears traded up to get him, because the more I look into this draft class, the better I like the Bears at 20 or even moving down.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:28 am
wab wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:16 am I just know there's no way he's a Bear, so I just try not to think about him much.
I've never been interested in Fields, but the sentiment of "he'll never be a Bear" is on point. I'd almost be more upset if the Bears traded up to get him, because the more I look into this draft class, the better I like the Bears at 20 or even moving down.
I'm with you. I know I've said I'd trade up to 4 for Fields, but that's more of an emotional response than a practical one.

Given the presence of Dalton and Foles, moving up into the top 5 for a guy that would realistically be the 3rd QB on the depth chart...doesn't make a ton of sense.
wulfy
MVP

wab wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:43 am

Given the presence of Dalton and Foles, moving up into the top 5 for a guy that would realistically be the 3rd QB on the depth chart...doesn't make a ton of sense.
Dalton is on a one-year deal and I believe all of Foles guaranteed money is done this year also. Where is your QB going to come from in 2022?

The choice fundamentally is:
Do you invest in a racehorse with a pedigree?
Or do you buy a lottery ticket and hope you can develop?

They've failed miserably at the second one and I don't have a lot of confidence in the first one - so I'm not sure what the answer is. Well, the answer is Russell Wilson - but that's not really on the table.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:54 am The choice fundamentally is:

They've failed miserably at the second one and I don't have a lot of confidence in the first one - so I'm not sure what the answer is. Well, the answer is Russell Wilson - but that's not really on the table.
I don't know about your choices.
Which one is Fields? Which was Mitch? Which is Mills/Mond/Trask?
wulfy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:54 am
Dalton is on a one-year deal and I believe all of Foles guaranteed money is done this year also. Where is your QB going to come from in 2022?

Another choice - which I'm entirely comfortable with - is: have a poor QB in 2022. If you're not going to rebuild and get a good draft pick out of 2021, better late than never.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

I think it's almost certain that they will pick a QB. They may even trade up if one drops out of the top 10. But trading into the top 5 isn't all that attractive to me (practically speaking).

Assuming the season goes the way most people are expecting (hoping?), the 2022 QB will probably come at the top of the 2022 draft.
G08
Hall of Famer

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I think their hope is for Dalton to show something and buy them time. If that fails, maybe a QB taken on day 2 will develop and show something in 2022.

Otherwise, you can try again for Wilson next offseason ($11M in savings for Seattle as opposed to $26M in dead money), go after Mariota in free agency, or likely make a move in the draft to secure a QB early in round one.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:16 am Another choice - which I'm entirely comfortable with - is: have a poor QB in 2022. If you're not going to rebuild and get a good draft pick out of 2021, better late than never.
Nagy and Pace aren't going to do this, in no small part because George doesn't want to do this.

You can keep saying it if you want, but it doesn't make it any more likely to happen.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:08 pm
Moriarty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:16 am Another choice - which I'm entirely comfortable with - is: have a poor QB in 2022. If you're not going to rebuild and get a good draft pick out of 2021, better late than never.
Nagy and Pace aren't going to do this, in no small part because George doesn't want to do this.

You can keep saying it if you want, but it doesn't make it any more likely to happen.
Well, that's 2 separate issues - likely to happen and want to happen. We discuss both online all the time, so I see no reason to exclude one.

We both agree George is pretty adverse to rebuilding - but it's not as if they absolutely won't do it ever. They did it in 2015. And if 2021 goes poorly and they get a new GM, candidates (depending on who they are and how confident/established they are) could conceivably tell him, with various degrees of assertiveness, that that's what needs to be done.

Even if Pace stays, there's some possibility that he could tell them a rebuild is necessary - and they like him a lot and would be inclined to listen - especially if Nagy goes and Pace still has solid commitment from the family.

That's preference. As I've said before, if I was forced to bet big, my bet would be that Pace overpays badly for a 2nd or 3rd tier QB option in R2 or 3.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:17 am Assuming the season goes the way most people are expecting (hoping?), the 2022 QB will probably come at the top of the 2022 draft.
I'm doubtful.

That's why all the consternation from some people like myself.

2021 isn't really going anywhere, but I don't see them being nearly bad enough to position themselves for QB drafting next year either. Historically, in most years, by pick 12 (if not sooner), it's all over for major prospects.

wab
Mod

Ok, just so I'm clear...
We don't want the Bears to trade up for a QB
We know there won't be a QB there at 20
We don't want the Bears to roll the dice on a secondary QB after R1
We don't think Dalton is a long term answer/don't like him in general
We don't think Dalton is bad enough that the Bears will be bad enough to get a QB in 2022
We know the Bears aren't really wanting a full rebuild

So...this appears to be where we are.