Who's your "surprise riser" for #1 - #19 ?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

aussiebear99
Practice Squad

He's that player who get picked "too high" according to internet draft consensus. The effect being that the player you want for the Bears at #20 gets "pushed down" and you go Ahh maybe we will get my guy after all ..

(Yeah this is purely an artifact of the fact that teams don't share their draft boards with journalists .. but it's still fun, ok?)

My pick: Samuel Cosmi. I think some team looks at his measurables, decides his ceiling is going to be reached with their coaching and they will have a 12 year Pro Bowler anchoring their OL.

Pick B: really two picks, but .. two RBs. Travis and Etienne. One before #20 I would expect, but two would be gravy.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Cosmi is probably going to go on Day 1, yeah. The tape isn't as impressive as the measurables, but it's pretty good; and at the same time he's got the frame to add weight and (hopefully) get stronger. He'll need better technique and fundamentals, too -- he's got the same issue as Jenkins in that he sets up too high and yields leverage.

I won't be surprised if both Joe Tryon and Joseph Ossai are Day 1 picks. Tryon has the frame that teams love on the edge (and had pretty good production in 2019), while Ossai has some good tools and production as well plus experience starting at LB and at DE. Both appear to be guys who take to coaching and play hard every down.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:58 am Cosmi is probably going to go on Day 1, yeah. The tape isn't as impressive as the measurables, but it's pretty good; and at the same time he's got the frame to add weight and (hopefully) get stronger. He'll need better technique and fundamentals, too -- he's got the same issue as Jenkins in that he sets up too high and yields leverage.

I won't be surprised if both Joe Tryon and Joseph Ossai are Day 1 picks. Tryon has the frame that teams love on the edge (and had pretty good production in 2019), while Ossai has some good tools and production as well plus experience starting at LB and at DE. Both appear to be guys who take to coaching and play hard every down.
It wouldn't surprise me if Tryon is the first EDGE off the board.

It also wouldn't surprise me if he went in the 3rd....that's how wild the edge rusher rankings are in this draft.

My picks are Aaron Robinson and Dyami Brown. I think they both land in R1.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'm hoping but doubting that a team falls in love with Kadarious Toney and/or Rashad Bateman before the Bears pick and makes it happen.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

My "surprise" guy is more of a "ok the NFL loves traits" guy: Jayson Oweh. His testing numbers are insane and I could see some defensive minded coach override his scouts and grab him early.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jayson-oweh
xyt in the discord chats
Hoog
Pro Bowler

I could see someone like Kyle Trask taking a bottom of the first for sure. All it takes is one team to fall in love with a QB and they will over pay. Also, Pat Freiermuth, could sneak into the first round if a team is sold on his medicals. He is a very good TE prospect.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Etienne.

And no I wouldn’t be mad if the Bears picked him at 20. Confused. But happy.

I think the RB position has been TOO discounted in the league.

My priority is still the OL for both round 1 and round 2. But if we walked away with Etienne and a day 1 starting T I’d be ecstatic.
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:07 pm My "surprise" guy is more of a "ok the NFL loves traits" guy: Jayson Oweh. His testing numbers are insane and I could see some defensive minded coach override his scouts and grab him early.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jayson-oweh
I agree with this. He was always better as a stand up rusher. PSU played him with his hand on the ground and he struggled.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Davis Mills: maybe taken by us, maybe even taken before us by New England. Tevon Jenkins is another I think will now go before us at #20. When I did my initial Senior Bowl Picnic Basket, he was pretty universally seen as a late #2 pick.
karhu
Head Coach

Some great ideas here already, so I'll go with Elijah Moore. Strikes me as the kind of guy who's overlooked by consensus but who could be exactly what one team is looking for. Who knows what the board will look like, but Moore's the kind of player I could see fitting in with the Dolphins or Patriots.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I'm going with Gregory Rousseau Edge Miami. One year wonder who then sits out a year. He's a buyer beware player.