Rd 1, P11: Justin Fields, QB - Ohio State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

Thank goodness we didn't do the stretch for a QB played 1 year at East Bum Fuck State..
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:24 pm
Boris13c wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:18 pmso does this mean Dalton just got the Glennon treatment? signed as a smokescreen?
Nah, not really. Dalton only signed a one-year deal, and I believe they want him to start. His goal is to play well and get a new contract somewhere next year.
I mean, the plan was for Glennon to start that season, he just sucked, so Trubisky saw the field sooner than planned. Hopefully we don't see the same with Dalton/Fields
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Hoog
Player of the Month

Dude is a determined winner, balls out, do what needs to be done, true leader. He is who we needed. I HATE Ohio State but loved watching this kid. Had to watch this kid beat our ass for two years. Great pick. Sit down Red Rocket
bbaker
Journeyman

This is exciting and terrifying for me. My son went to school with Justin Fields from first grade all the way through high school, and then while Fields was at Georgia. We rooted for him in high school, at Georgia, and then Ohio State. I never thought he’d be a Bear, which is awesome, but now I’m terrified my favorite team will ruin him.

It will be HUGE if Justin is successful, but it will double-suck if we ruin him.
docc
Head Coach

Being an Illini alum..I hate OSU..but now he's a Bear so OSU is like and old meal..just squat on the road toward BEARS !
wulfy
MVP

Is there are better word than Elated? Thrilled? Jacked?

Yeah, all of them.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Watching Fields and listening to his interviews, here is what is encouraging. He looks, talks, and acts like he belongs. As hard as Trubisky tried, he never could convince me that he knew what the hell he was doing. He always had a deer in the headlights look about his interviews, and his post game pressers. I don't see that in Fields. I'm excited. I like Fields' arm, his feet, his build, and his confidence. Let's go!! Bear Down!
wulfy
MVP

Thrilled!!
UOK
Site Admin

I'm gonna be merging any Fields-related topics into this thread going forward, so don't be butthurt.
G08
Hall of Famer

Here's something interesting: The Minnesota Vikings were thinking about drafting Justin Fields with their 14th pick, per
@ProFootballTalk

Bears jumped in front of them and took him.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
TheSting
Practice Squad

@UOK hey i was refreshing like 4 threads!! I've got 1/4 of the hype now!! jkjk so surely for the love of fucking god can we please have got someone who can actually play QB?! i'm a long way from a math nerd but pretty sure we must be guaranteed at least vague competence right? did I just curse us? I did didnt I, plz ban me mods, I'm sorry...
docc
Head Coach

Is ESPN correct ?
"The Giants received Chicago's first-round (No. 20) and fifth-round picks this year, and the Bears' first- and fourth-rounders next year."

I didn't think we get Giants 1st next year ?
otis
Pro Bowler

I would rather make this trade than the trade for Wilson. I'm kinda stoked about the bears again. Now get the oline in the second and it's a good draft.
MoFugger
Head Coach

So we basically got Watson for about a fifth of what we would have had to give up for Watson, also Fields doesn't rape???

I can't figure out how this is not a win.
Pagan
MVP

Woohoo!!!
docc
Head Coach

..me likey !!
Now Fields..just do the job..and you OWN CHICAGO.. Get used to great Pizza..Italian Beef..and Vienna Hot Dogs..!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Yes yes yes yes yes. I was open to being convinced when they picked Trubisky. Fields I WANTED . Didn't think it would be possible until the past week.

Let's roll.
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

Hoog wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:06 pm So a our first this year, a fifth this year, our first next, and fourth next. Pretty reasonable. Now get a damn OT next pick.
It looks like a good lineman could be had at next pick. I wouldn’t mind Collins either (though I’m always leaning toward lineman).

Also need a CB.

Time will obviously tell on Fields. But think it was an outstanding trade on Bears part. He fell and the bears took a good risk. Even if it doesn’t work out, I’ll stand behind this.
AC 46Blitz
docc
Head Coach

3. Ohio State image Justin Fields*, QB, Ohio State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 223.
Projected 40 Time: 4.49.
Projected Round (2021): Top-10.
View Ranking History

4/26/21: After the trades of top-10 picks, Fields looks like a lock to go in the top 10 and could be a top-three pick. In this writer's opinion, he is the second best quarterback in the 2021 NFL Draft, behind only Trevor Lawrence and ahead of Zach Wilson, but Wilson will get drafted ahead of Fields in part because Wilson is more ready to play. Some scouts feel Fields is about equal with Lawrence in terms of athletic upside and playmaking potential for the NFL. Fields put together an excellent pro-day workout that showed off his great speed, athleticism, and passing ability.

Fields is a dynamic runner and athlete who a great skill set that includes a strong, accurate arm and some natural passing ability. He still needs a lot of work with pocket awareness. He has to improve passing the face of the rush, handling the blitz, taking check downs instead of forcing passes into coverage downfield, and anticipating receivers coming open rather than waiting to see them come open. That being said, Fields has a lot of talent to work with and is worthy of going as a top-10 pick.

Fields dominated Nebraska, Penn State and Rutgers in 2020 before coming through with one of the best games of his career to beat Clemson in the college football playoff. He had ugly games against Indiana and Northwestern, illustrating he needs development as a pocket passer. In 2020, Fields completed 70 percent of his passes in 2020 for 2,100 yards, 22 touchdowns and six interceptions. He had five rushing scores as well.

8/29/20: Fields has a dynamic skill set with natural passing ability and is a dangerous runner. He is an accurate quarterback with a strong arm, is aggressive to push the ball downfield, and is a playmaker with his feet. In speaking with some team sources, we agreed Fields looks like a bigger Deshaun Watson. Fields needs development and refinement. He especially needs to improve at executing when faced with heavy blitzes.

Fields was one of the top recruits in the nation alongside Trevor Lawrence. To start out his college career, Fields played at Georgia before transferring to Ohio State. In 2019, Fields took over as the Buckeyes' starting quarterback and dominated. The sophomore completed 67 percent of his passes on the season for 3,273 yards with 41 touchdowns and three interceptions. He also ran for 484 yards and 10 scores. In Fields' one season at Georgia, he was 27-of-39 for 328 yards with four touchdowns passing and four touchdowns rushing.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I really wonder what exactly golden boy Lawrence has over Fields. Goddamn I hope that fields turns out to be the best of the bunch - WE ARE DUE FOR SOME GOOD FORTUNE!!

Fields has as much ability as any of them. It’s a near certainty that 2 or 3 of these QBs will blow, let’s hope he’s on the other side and for once we are on the winning end of a QB derby.
Xee
Site Admin

Crazy that he dropped but I'm happy to have him. Can't wait to see him on the field.
FranktheTank
Player of the Month

Boris13c wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:18 pm ... my only question is Nagy's ability to use him properly ... as an alleged QB guru, Nagy is very deficient
This is my concern.
I am thrilled about getting Fields, but is Naggy going to try and force the system down Fields throat and not game plan to his strengths?
wab
Mod

My god.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm out of my mind excited. QB2 at 11. For the price of the 28th-32nd pick next year and a couple of mid-round picks. Sweet.

I hope someone texted wab.

I predicted a long time ago that Pace would trade up and securing a rookie QB would bring him job security. It seemed like the most obvious path. I had been thinking the spot was going to have to be in the range of the Lions ... but then with the Darnold trade and the Bridgewater trade all of the sudden the seas parted and then it became obvious they just had to get in front of the Vikes. I posted that right after the Lions went with Sewell, and I was jumping up and down in front of my wife (who watched with me tonight... wtf?!) through the Carolina, Denver and Philly picks, screaming "trade, Ryan - trade up!" I just COULDN'T believe it when the "Trade" notice came up on NFL network and the Bears were on the clock! I don't remember ever being this pleased on draft day. EVER!

I never thought the Bears had a prayer for Fields. QB2 at 11 folks. Maybe QB1. OK OK I know Wilson has some great tape. But I can show you film of Gardner Minshew doing similar amazing things at WS. Want to impress me? Win the Big Ten and beat Trevor Lawrence by throwing 6 TDs.

Next up: OT. Would it make sense to consider drafting Josh Meyers in the 3rd? Would that C/QB continuity be valuable?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

I guess someone contacted wab while I was typing. LOL.
IE
Hall of Famer

On the NFL Network they referred to him as "Soldier Fields"... that is perfect.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Love the name Soldier Fields.

The cost is what it is. I’m worried he dropped to 11 for a reason.

However he is one of us so I hope he becomes the greatest QB in NFL history.

Let’s do this right though. If Dalton shits the bed at week four don’t rush Fields out there. Put Flip at his hip and make them buddies like a road comedy movie. Have Fields hold the Surface tablet and learn.

But let’s not rush the guy out there and break his confidence. We’ve got a legit chance at a franchise QB. Much more so than when Mitch Slap happened.

So I take it we are carrying three QBs on the roster?

I do hope Fields gets a bunch of reps in the preseason and we see what we have on Day 1.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Dang. He's already on the team roster at ChicagoBears.com. I honestly didn't think we had a prayer at Fields. My 15 year old son was running around the house yelling Let's Go!!!

Best. Draft. Ever.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

dave99
Assistant Coach

The always quirky Huddle Report has a slightly different take on him.

Justin Fields QB Ohio St
by Drew Boylhart • December 17, 2020
STRENGTHS
Justin is a smooth, athletic quarterback who could play more than one position on your offense except that…playing quarterback is his natural position for the next level and his impact position. He has a high football IQ to go along with a strong arm with excellent accuracy, velocity, and touch to make all the throws for the next level. In spite of his athletic talents to makes plays out of the pocket with his legs, he just might be the best pocket passer out of this group of quarterbacks, and that is truly the skill strength that he brings for the team that selects him. Justin is one of the top quarterbacks in this draft class and just might be THE top quarterback in this class…at least on my board.

CONCERNS
Justin lacks maturity in his leadership skills and decision making at times, but he does have the skills. He also lacks the bulk to stand up to the pounding at the next level when he leaves the pocket and that’s why his talents to play from the pocket will allow for longevity at the next level.

BOTTOM LINE 1.43
What I like about Justin, is his ability to have an answer when adversity rears its ugly self. He is so smooth when he stays in the pocket and plays from the pocket in fact, his accuracy and decision-making is so much better than when he leaves the pocket and tries to play superman. Justin needs to understand that leaving the pocket for him might give him a first down and move the ball but it will not win him the game and his lack of bulk will be a detriment for his superman actions. His ability to play from the pocket at a higher level than most QB’s is what will win him more games than his ability to play like superman. Now, most in the media I suspect, are going to say that Justin is a perfect example of the New quarterback for the NFL but I’m going to tell you that his overall game for the NFL is not, running the ball or making plays leaving the pocket. His strength is playing from the pocket and he needs to learn to manipulate the pocket and use it to his advantage and not be so quick to leave it. When Justin does gain the skill of movement in the pocket, he could become the next Tom Brady or Matt Ryan, or Warren Moon or John Elway or Doug Williams. Notice I did not say Michael Vick or RGIII or Cam Newton. The truth is Justin someday, could be as good as Steve (Air) McNair or even, Aaron Rodgers…but he will never be as good as Superman and he should stop trying.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne