Rd 1, P11: Justin Fields, QB - Ohio State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

User avatar
grendel2000
Practice Squad
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:01 pm

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:46 pm If he can find Ridley for a TD, he can find anybody. Ridley has been about as present as the missing link.

I'll have you know that my kid and I are responsible for the Fields pick. Before the Trubisky draft, we gathered all of our old Bear QB jerseys and burned them in a ritual to the football Gods to relieve us of our curse. Unfortunately, it didn't take, and I later found out why. I discovered an errant Grossman jersey stuck way in the back of my closet. We burned it early Thursday.

So while you can blame us for Trubisky, you have to credit us for Fields. ;)
Perhaps even more bizarre is the fact that before the 2000 draft I burned a Rashaan Salaam jersey and dropped a Cade McNown figuring from a helicopter into the Bermuda Triangle (for real) and we ended up getting Urlacher!

Here's hoping your ritual is as effective as mine was!
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Posts: 17740
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: Lakeview, IL

grendel2000 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:27 am
Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:46 pm If he can find Ridley for a TD, he can find anybody. Ridley has been about as present as the missing link.

I'll have you know that my kid and I are responsible for the Fields pick. Before the Trubisky draft, we gathered all of our old Bear QB jerseys and burned them in a ritual to the football Gods to relieve us of our curse. Unfortunately, it didn't take, and I later found out why. I discovered an errant Grossman jersey stuck way in the back of my closet. We burned it early Thursday.

So while you can blame us for Trubisky, you have to credit us for Fields. ;)
Perhaps even more bizarre is the fact that before the 2000 draft I burned a Rashaan Salaam jersey and dropped a Cade McNown figuring from a helicopter into the Bermuda Triangle (for real) and we ended up getting Urlacher!

Here's hoping your ritual is as effective as mine was!
Ha! Love it!!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 31 SEASONS

"I own you, Aaron Rodgers." -- Science
User avatar
wulfy
Assistant Coach
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:51 pm
Contact:

this is a fun article:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/be ... reactions/

Eddie Jackson's reaction was priceless .... at the very end he says "OMG, we drafted a black QB!" lol
User avatar
WP.1
Journeyman
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:03 am

22 games
Fields career Interception 9x
only 3x to worry about
- good throw / overlooked Safety shift post snap (middle to sideline)
- bad throw too late and ignored Safety middle
- Endzone / ball deflected but throw into double coverage

other 6x
- good throw / K.J.Hill wrong side body turn
- good throw / Olave wrong route
- scramble and contact / "throw away" easy INT
- scramble and in the grasp / "throw away" easy INT
- good throw maybe inches too short / great one hand catch INT
- good throw / Williams wrong decision


good
near perfect, unbelievable good. too many to list.
just one. The 65Y downfield blocking play there is another play
- 35Y downfield blocking
bad
too long holding onto the ball. result too many sacks. 2.5 sacks per game.
(but even therein great positive. I notice only 2x successful strip/fumble.)

in all. I see comparable only one NFL player. Deshaun Watson.
Last edited by WP.1 on Thu May 06, 2021 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Posts: 17740
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: Lakeview, IL



First half hour is the Fields interview.

Good stuff, had no idea he was a vegan
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 31 SEASONS

"I own you, Aaron Rodgers." -- Science
User avatar
HisRoyalSweetness
MVP
Posts: 1504
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:20 pm

G08 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:15 pm Good stuff, had no idea he was a vegan
Well, nobody's perfect...
User avatar
RustinFields
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5151
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:19 am
Location: Maine!

G08 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:15 pm

First half hour is the Fields interview.

Good stuff, had no idea he was a vegan
lol, cant wait til the first time he gets injured and people try to blame it on his veganism. Arian Foster went through that quite a bit.
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9131
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

I admit it. I'm kind of obsessed with Fields.

It is weird because living in the Ann Arbor area you'd think I'd know a bit more about the hated enemy's QB. But I hardly watched him (saw him play 2-3 times in two seasons) and didn't really know much about him other than the facts that he was sort of a "hired gun" transfer from Georgia (I assumed they paid him), and he was considered very very good and putting up fantasy numbers. He beat Michigan - but doesn't everyone these days? That wasn't impressive.

I actually didn't think much of him at all in terms of going pro, and really thought Lawrence was THE elite QB. Even when Burrow was having his season for the ages, I still thought Lawrence was better - and Fields was an afterthought. But that changed quite a bit with the bowl games and playoffs this year. Watching him play Clemson and Alabama two games in a row really brought him to the top of my list (still behind Lawrence... but maybe closer to equal). I know Wilson emerged during the season and rose higher & higher - but I never really formed an opinion about him other than he was super talented and productive at BYU. Honestly all I could think about was he could end up being a bigger Ty Detmer, who could do the same kind of magical stuff on the field for BYU (I know that's not fair -but that's what was in my head on the guy).

So I started really having a lot of respect for Fields and watched some more tape. The more I watched the more I liked him. Like others, I developed the opinion that the Bears would NEVER have a chance for him but IF they were going to trade up for anyone it had to be him even if it meant multiple #1 picks. And at the same time, the "market forces" started taking shots at Fields. That really pissed me off - I hate unfair and hyperbolic criticism of anyone. I shared some of my thoughts on that here, and won't repeat it.

It seems to me that his stoic, serious nature made people think he wasn't into it, or wasn't very bright. OR the existence of those traits just fed the trolls who were looking for something to bring him down. But the opposite of those assumptions seems true. And of course what we've seen on the field shows the opposite as well. Either all the stuff online that makes him look like a perfectly competitive choirboy is completely staged BS, or someone had an agenda to take him down (vendetta against OSU, or his agent, or whatever). But what luck! The luck is so extraordinary I'm seriously thinking there may be some league-wide collusion at play. It's crazy.

Anyway... I haven't been this excited about the Bears since 1984 when everything started to gel. For the first time, I may buy a jersey of an active player. I might even go Vegan on Sundays in his honor. OK - not Sundays. Maybe like Mondays and Tuesdays. lol
The Future is Now.
MOTM League: Daisycutter
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Posts: 17740
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: Lakeview, IL

Last edited by G08 on Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 31 SEASONS

"I own you, Aaron Rodgers." -- Science
User avatar
thunderspirit
MVP
Posts: 1646
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm
Location: Greater Chicagoland, IL

That video is top-notch, @G08. Good stuff.
KFFL refugee.
Fornerly MotML Great Sept Embers. I accept all blame for the shape the team Umbali inherited is in.

This space for rent.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Posts: 17740
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: Lakeview, IL

thunderspirit wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:05 pm That video is top-notch, @G08. Good stuff.
Some good nuggets in there, the kid has some work to do -- and that's OK!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 31 SEASONS

"I own you, Aaron Rodgers." -- Science
User avatar
HisRoyalSweetness
MVP
Posts: 1504
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:20 pm

NFLN: Fields among draft's best values:
https://www.chicagobears.com/video/nfln ... est-values

Highlights:
- Fields had a higher completion percentage, more TDs and fewer INTs than Trevor Lawrence
- About half of scouts surveyed by Cynthia Frelund had Fields ranked Fields higher than Lawrence
- About a quarter of the league had Fields ranked higher than Lawrence

Amazing this guy slipped out of the top 10 and even more amazing that the Bears managed to nab him.
The Cooler King
Head Coach
Posts: 2187
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 pm

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:51 pm NFLN: Fields among draft's best values:
https://www.chicagobears.com/video/nfln ... est-values

Highlights:
- Fields had a higher completion percentage, more TDs and fewer INTs than Trevor Lawrence
- About half of scouts surveyed by Cynthia Frelund had Fields ranked Fields higher than Lawrence
- About a quarter of the league had Fields ranked higher than Lawrence

Amazing this guy slipped out of the top 10 and even more amazing that the Bears managed to nab him.
9 out of 10 drafts, this dude is a 1st overall. The string of events and bad decisions by other teams that led to him falling. I mean, we are extremely fortunate. Yes, he could still bust, but to get a prospect like that at 11! Just absurd.
Fka "BillGeorge61" @CBFans.net
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9131
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

My wife bought me a Fields jersey, and I'm stoked. First active player jersey I've ever owned.
The Future is Now.
MOTM League: Daisycutter
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 23509
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

I haven't purchased a Bears jersey since 2010 when Peppers was signed in FA.

It may be time for another one.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Posts: 17740
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: Lakeview, IL

Some nuggets I've discovered while scouring the internet for anything related to Justin Fields:

Roughly the same size and speed as Eddie George when he was coming out of college
(George: 6027 / 235 lbs / 4.49 dash // Fields: 6026 / 227 lbs / 4.44 dash) :shock:

John DeFilippo is already working with Justin Fields on his cadence (curious if they go with "white 80" like KC)

Justin Fields is already working through flash cards on all our formations, shifts and motions.


There's a chance he could hit the ground running in that aspect come Training Camp...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 31 SEASONS

"I own you, Aaron Rodgers." -- Science
User avatar
AZ_Bearfan
MVP
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ

Already sporting the Bears gear. I love it.

Image
User avatar
RustinFields
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5151
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:19 am
Location: Maine!

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:22 pm Already sporting the Bears gear. I love it.

explaining to my wife why i'm watching a shirtless dude work out
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach
Posts: 3077
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am
Location: Parts Unknown

IE wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:01 am My wife bought me a Fields jersey, and I'm stoked. First active player jersey I've ever owned.
You married vey well.

First active player jersey owned by coincidence or do you deliberately avoid it? My actives are Roquan and Mack. I don't buy into the jersey jinx mumbo jumbo.

Ordered my Fields jersey through Fanatics. They only offered the one kind. The NFL First Round Draft Pick Game Jersey. Home blue of course. Fanatics earned my loyalty forever because they took care of me with my Roquan jersey. I was going to buy it one day, got distracted at home, went back the next day and the promo was over. I called them and the lady was like yeah no problem and gave me the promo (Free shipping? I don't remember.) anyway.

The Fields jersey won't be here until July.
The Bear-Anon Sorcerer

Image

Follow Uno The Dog on IG at unofields
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9131
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:54 am
IE wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:01 am My wife bought me a Fields jersey, and I'm stoked. First active player jersey I've ever owned.
You married vey well.

First active player jersey owned by coincidence or do you deliberately avoid it? My actives are Roquan and Mack. I don't buy into the jersey jinx mumbo jumbo.

Ordered my Fields jersey through Fanatics. They only offered the one kind. The NFL First Round Draft Pick Game Jersey. Home blue of course. Fanatics earned my loyalty forever because they took care of me with my Roquan jersey. I was going to buy it one day, got distracted at home, went back the next day and the promo was over. I called them and the lady was like yeah no problem and gave me the promo (Free shipping? I don't remember.) anyway.

The Fields jersey won't be here until July.
The active player thing for me was more of an arbitrary rule I just decided for myself than anything... more to honor players like Payton or Sayers or Hampton and such. I strongly considered getting Mike Brown and Peanut jerseys when they were playing. I just didn't. I also tend to not want to get overly popular jerseys (e.g. Urlacher) because i used to go to a lot of games and it is weird going to games and being in a sea of Urlachers. In Detroit it is hilarious because like half the crowd has Stafford jerseys. And then that leads me to the last rationale I have - which is I would hate it if a player I liked that much went somewhere else.
The Future is Now.
MOTM League: Daisycutter
User avatar
AZ_Bearfan
MVP
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ



I'm glad to see that he was surprised and happy that the Bears took him.
Image
User avatar
WP.1
Journeyman
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:03 am

I totally missed that in the Introductory Interview.

understandable and obvouis Fields very tired that day. At least 3 times yawning.
but first one was an openly wide mouth yawn.

That i call step further self-confidence, calmness.
RichH55
MVP
Posts: 1999
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 pm

The Cooler King wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:35 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:51 pm NFLN: Fields among draft's best values:
https://www.chicagobears.com/video/nfln ... est-values

Highlights:
- Fields had a higher completion percentage, more TDs and fewer INTs than Trevor Lawrence
- About half of scouts surveyed by Cynthia Frelund had Fields ranked Fields higher than Lawrence
- About a quarter of the league had Fields ranked higher than Lawrence

Amazing this guy slipped out of the top 10 and even more amazing that the Bears managed to nab him.
9 out of 10 drafts, this dude is a 1st overall. The string of events and bad decisions by other teams that led to him falling. I mean, we are extremely fortunate. Yes, he could still bust, but to get a prospect like that at 11! Just absurd.


9 out of 10????

He wasn't even the #2 QB off the Board
RichH55
MVP
Posts: 1999
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 pm

WP.1 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:41 pm I totally missed that in the Introductory Interview.

understandable and obvouis Fields very tired that day. At least 3 times yawning.
but first one was an openly wide mouth yawn.

That i call step further self-confidence, calmness.
No one as "calm" as J'Marcus Russell

Yawning is now a positive?!?!
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9131
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

I'm sure there are Jacksonville fans who are unhappy about Lawrence. It's just a numbers game. A small % of the people will be against breathing if they know other people like it.

Like Fields said, "there's been too much talking lately" (clearly meaning people talking negatively about him).
The Future is Now.
MOTM League: Daisycutter
EricTighe
Assistant Coach
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:13 pm

RichH55 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:49 am
The Cooler King wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:35 am

9 out of 10 drafts, this dude is a 1st overall. The string of events and bad decisions by other teams that led to him falling. I mean, we are extremely fortunate. Yes, he could still bust, but to get a prospect like that at 11! Just absurd.


9 out of 10????

He wasn't even the #2 QB off the Board
Do you really want to go over how many QB's weren't even the #2 QB off the board?

You will be drinking Kool aid in a few years when Fields is a stud and Mac Jones is still trying to get on the field.

I am glad we did not draft Mac Jones because it would have been the second time watching the draft I would have thrown a beer through my TV.
User avatar
Xee
Site Admin
Posts: 3066
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:47 pm
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:27 pm

I'm glad to see that he was surprised and happy that the Bears took him.
I'm probably reading way too much into it but he seemed pretty flat when getting that call from Nagy. I know when I got a call from my first "real job" giving me an offer, I was ecstatic and couldn't stop smiling. Maybe it's just a personality thing.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Posts: 17740
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: Lakeview, IL

Xee wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:56 pm
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:27 pm

I'm glad to see that he was surprised and happy that the Bears took him.
I'm probably reading way too much into it but he seemed pretty flat when getting that call from Nagy. I know when I got a call from my first "real job" giving me an offer, I was ecstatic and couldn't stop smiling. Maybe it's just a personality thing.
He's a flat-liner man, doesn't get too high or too low.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 31 SEASONS

"I own you, Aaron Rodgers." -- Science
User avatar
RustinFields
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5151
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:19 am
Location: Maine!

Yeah, it's actually really funny, every single video of him talking, he's just insanely low key. You do see that spark though when he's joking around with his teammates.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any armchair psychologists criticizing it tbh, calling him too beta to be an NFL qb or whatever.
User avatar
WP.1
Journeyman
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:03 am

RichH55 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:50 am
WP.1 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:41 pm I totally missed that in the Introductory Interview.

understandable and obvouis Fields very tired that day. At least 3 times yawning.
but first one was an openly wide mouth yawn.

That i call step further self-confidence, calmness.
No one as "calm" as J'Marcus Russell

Yawning is now a positive?!?!
well an interesting step further for sure. :D
But better this real emotion than all these fake interviews/monologue.



and not to forget the actual situation
- Draft Night
- next day 6am flight
- meet 100 new people
- some people in room but still a video conference
Post Reply