Rd 1, P11: Justin Fields, QB - Ohio State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

you know, after once again watching a million fields highlights last night, one minor criticism is that when he runs with the ball, he's got a horrible tendency to turn his body to brace for contact. obviously that hit that took him out for a bit is most famous, but he does it a lot and it's gonna get him killed. dude realllly needs to learn how to slide.
once he does that he can comfortably slot into being the greatest qb the bears have ever had.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

What a night. I wanted to watch the draft with my brothers - been going through a rough hell in life I needed my brothers support and they showed up in masses. Anyway, we went to this bar (I’m in North Fulton Atlanta) and offered to buy shots if the Bears not only did what seemed impossible (trade up to grab a QB), but grab the one I’ve been lusting about since I saw his spring game in 2019. Let me add to that I always feel like the battered wife when it comes to my sports teams - they always make the wrong moves. So basically I’ve been talking up everyone that’d listen how good this kid is, while half the dudes in the establishment trash him (because he left Georgia, especially being from Kennessaw).

What ensued, all the while FaceTiming my son, as we’re both waiting for the draft to move, then the trade, holy shit. The Bears just put themselves in position to get A QB! I began pushing that liquor down my throat like it was Gatorade. Then the pick arrives (not before some delay due to Goddell talking the bullshit he was going at). We are holding, praying, the camera pans to Justin Fields home, they aren’t there, they make it back, what’s going on, why did they show him, could this be happening, my son about getting teary eyed, like is this really happening?

The howl you heard last night came from me. I absolutely lost my shit, like literally screamed like we’d just won the super bowl on a last second Hail Mary or some shit like that. I am jumping, my son is crying in excitement, my brothers and the bar clapping and laughing for me, Fireball shots being poured, the madness begins.

Yes, this may mean little as he needs some development, but for once my team got my boy. Everything Ryan Pace did to fuck up 2017 was immediately taken care of last night. I applaud him for the move, and forgive him for the past blunder. I seriously think that this kid is a humble kid that is not only from the area, he balls the fuck out. He not only outplayed Trevor Lawrence on the biggest game of his career, that shit was a cheat code like performance (the national championship doesn’t count cause Alabama was going to tear an ssshole on whoever lined up to play them).

I am in love with the pick, I clearly like the kid, and I can’t wait to deck myself in Justin Fields apparel from head to toe. My 2021 season just went from apathy to holy fuck I’m getting my Pfizer shots cause I’m coming to see me some Chicago Bears football.

Sorry for all the expletives and extra unimportant stuff, but I also need to sober up. Thank you for the good discussion. I can’t wait to begin tracking this kids trajectory with you all.

Bear Motherfucking Down!
UOK
Site Admin

wiNDycityfan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:52 am What a night. I wanted to watch the draft with my brothers - been going through a rough hell in life I needed my brothers support and they showed up in masses. Anyway, we went to this bar (I’m in North Fulton Atlanta) and offered to buy shots if the Bears not only did what seemed impossible (trade up to grab a QB), but grab the one I’ve been lusting about since I saw his spring game in 2019. Let me add to that I always feel like the battered wife when it comes to my sports teams - they always make the wrong moves. So basically I’ve been talking up everyone that’d listen how good this kid is, while half the dudes in the establishment trash him (because he left Georgia, especially being from Kennessaw).

What ensued, all the while FaceTiming my son, as we’re both waiting for the draft to move, then the trade, holy shit. The Bears just put themselves in position to get A QB! I began pushing that liquor down my throat like it was Gatorade. Then the pick arrives (not before some delay due to Goddell talking the bullshit he was going at). We are holding, praying, the camera pans to Justin Fields home, they aren’t there, they make it back, what’s going on, why did they show him, could this be happening, my son about getting teary eyed, like is this really happening?

The howl you heard last night came from me. I absolutely lost my shit, like literally screamed like we’d just won the super bowl on a last second Hail Mary or some shit like that. I am jumping, my son is crying in excitement, my brothers and the bar clapping and laughing for me, Fireball shots being poured, the madness begins.

Yes, this may mean little as he needs some development, but for once my team got my boy. Everything Ryan Pace did to fuck up 2017 was immediately taken care of last night. I applaud him for the move, and forgive him for the past blunder. I seriously think that this kid is a humble kid that is not only from the area, he balls the fuck out. He not only outplayed Trevor Lawrence on the biggest game of his career, that shit was a cheat code like performance (the national championship doesn’t count cause Alabama was going to tear an ssshole on whoever lined up to play them).

I am in love with the pick, I clearly like the kid, and I can’t wait to deck myself in Justin Fields apparel from head to toe. My 2021 season just went from apathy to holy fuck I’m getting my Pfizer shots cause I’m coming to see me some Chicago Bears football.

Sorry for all the expletives and extra unimportant stuff, but I also need to sober up. Thank you for the good discussion. I can’t wait to begin tracking this kids trajectory with you all.

Bear Motherfucking Down!
Awesome story, and fuck yeah. Let em fly.
britbear
Player of the Month

Not a bad birthday present to wake up at just after 3am and find out your beloved Bears have picked Fields!!! Thrilled, stunned, stoked, elated, all of that and more.

Forget the questions about Dalton and QB1. This probably belongs on another thread, but did Pace and Nagy just save their jobs? Guess that by January we'll have a good idea. I'm thinking that they just might have.
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
Hoog
Player of the Month

My advice to J Fields, be yourself, do what you do best, drag this team with you, you can be the biggest thing Chicago has ever seen if you just keep doing what you do. He is a true leader and he can grab this city by the balls and make it his. I have said this about every QB we have ever drafted or traded for since the 70's. Just look at how Jimmy Mc was idolized, until recently, and he wasn't even that good. This kid is special, I have seen almost every game of his, and he just needs to focus and not change how he plays the game.

Here is the other weird thing for me. I was a huge Mahomes guy and was in shock when KC traded up for him at #10. This is an almost identical move to get another guy I am a huge fan of but never thought we could get. I am still in shock that we came away with this guy last night. Going back to the two trades:

KC- moved up from pick #27 to #10, gave up #27, the next years first and third

Chicago- moved up from #20 to #11, gave up #20, a 5th round this year, and next years first/fourth

Very comparable trades and hopefully, very comparable results in return.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Dan Pompei was saying Fields is not a plug and play QB. He stated an O has to be designed around his strengths. Is Nagy capable? This is what scares me, Nagy. I would love this pick more if there was a different staff here.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

So I didnt know much about any of the QBs(or draft picks in general as I didnt really care this year), but after reading about this kid I am extremely happy. More so than when we drafted Mitch who I was open to giving a chance to(I was a Watson guy) Now hearing Watson as one of his closest comparisons is just awesome. Very excited for this pick!!!! Lets go Justin Fields!!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:40 am Dan Pompei was saying Fields is not a plug and play QB. He stated an O has to be designed around his strengths. Is Nagy capable? This is what scares me, Nagy. I would love this pick more if there was a different staff here.
I share the same concern about Nagy and playing to the strengths of a QB. Nagy and Pace failed to do that with Mitch. They let the OL decay and traded Jordan who was a 1,000 yard rusher. They never really built much around him.

That being said, Fields is a significantly better prospect than Mitch. Signficantly.

Fields also seems to be more of a natural fit for the KC style offense Nagy wants. Fields can also stretch the defense and hit the deep ball.

I'm still very concerned about the OL. It doesn't matter who we have at QB. If he has no time to throw it's game over.

Even though I didn't want to trade up, I'm excited that Fields is here.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

When the Broncos didn’t pick him I started freaking out and I haven’t fully calmed down. We have hope again.
xyt in the discord chats
Hoog
Player of the Month

Otis and Marshall, I was thinking the same thing and posted on the other board about my concerns. I just hope Nagy and company don't wedge him into something rather than building something for him. Baltimore did this beautifully with Jackson and that is what we need to do.

Hurricane, Watson is a very good comp for JFields, but I think Fields has more upside with more athleticism and arm strength. Watson has the better accuracy but I think that can come to Fields. I'm excited as I have been in quite some time with the Bears.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I'm fairly optimistic about this pick. Didnt think the bears had a chance.

That said my expectations are tempered. Here is a terrible game and a good game for you guys.

G08
Hall of Famer

wiNDycityfan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:52 am What a night. I wanted to watch the draft with my brothers - been going through a rough hell in life I needed my brothers support and they showed up in masses. Anyway, we went to this bar (I’m in North Fulton Atlanta) and offered to buy shots if the Bears not only did what seemed impossible (trade up to grab a QB), but grab the one I’ve been lusting about since I saw his spring game in 2019. Let me add to that I always feel like the battered wife when it comes to my sports teams - they always make the wrong moves. So basically I’ve been talking up everyone that’d listen how good this kid is, while half the dudes in the establishment trash him (because he left Georgia, especially being from Kennessaw).

Bear Motherfucking Down!
Fuck yeah brother, let's go!!!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I guess I didn't know Fields was 6'3" 227lbs. I thought he was under 6'3" and 215-ish. Wow. That's a big kid. Been watching quite a bit of Fields' highlights. Pretty excited right now. He also sounds like an NFL QB. Mitch never sounded like he knew what the hell he was doing.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

When I say the trade, I was extremely worried. Given that Washington and N.E. could be in play as well, I thought it would be 2 first plus 2 seconds at least. Maybe 3 first.

The fact we gave up so little in this years draft and can still build the offense around him is awesome.

They just don't need to give hm the Cutler treatment and leave that side of the ball without talent.

When we drafted Mitch I was disappointed we missed out on Mahomes but settled into the pick.

As the draft got started, Fields was the guy that, IMO, we had some shot at that could make the most long term impact for the team. AND WE GOT HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:19 am I guess I didn't know Fields was 6'3" 227lbs. I thought he was under 6'3" and 215-ish. Wow. That's a big kid. Been watching quite a bit of Fields' highlights. Pretty excited right now. He also sounds like an NFL QB. Mitch never sounded like he knew what the hell he was doing.
And he ran a 4.4 forty at his pro day

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/311 ... es-pro-day

Granted pro days tend to have lower 40 times for guys but it's still a good sign. :welcome:
Hoog
Player of the Month

BTW, did anyone else's ass tighten up when we made the trade thinking Pace would screw the pooch and take Jones instead of Fields? I had to hold my breath for 10 minutes until I heard the name Fields come out of the commish's mouth. I about wet myself.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:58 am I'm fairly optimistic about this pick. Didnt think the bears had a chance.

That said my expectations are tempered. Here is a terrible game and a good game for you guys.

I have to say. Which one is the terrible game? They got blown out by Alabama, but not a lot of that was Fields' fault. I thought he showed a lot of composure going up against the best team in CFB that year. He made some really good throws, the had great pocket awareness and movement. He showed his arm strength and his ability to run with the ball. His biggest problem is that probably the CFB's top CB took away his favorite target in Olave. Nothing in that game would give me cause for concern. Literally nothing.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hoog wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:46 am BTW, did anyone else's ass tighten up when we made the trade thinking Pace would screw the pooch and take Jones instead of Fields? I had to hold my breath for 10 minutes until I heard the name Fields come out of the commish's mouth. I about wet myself.
I was scared they were going to take Mac Jones. I believe he is much more a product of his supporting cast than Fields is.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

So as i've said today is the first day I'm really watching anything on Fields. How was he not the top QB in this draft, or at worst the 2nd best QB? Honest question here because from what I'm seeing how were teams not fighting to get this kid? Gets it down field but also showing touch on those throws fitting them in when needed. Read he has problems with pressure and I've seen a few throws with blitzers bearing down on him and he steps into it and makes the play(or at least tries to). Read he has pocket awareness problems and I see him moving around the pocket making plays with his legs while keeping his eyes down field. And while he's no Vick hes got some juice when he's in the open field. And then on top of all that, in that first clip posted by UOK, he hands it off and then charges 30-40 yards down the field to make the block that springs his back, out running the back to do it in the process.

So .....how was he even available for the Bears?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well we saw that very different. I have high Hope's for the kid. I really do. I just ain't drinking your koolaid.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I also LOVE how he uses the middle of the field and the TEs. Feels like forever since we've had a QB who does that
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:52 am So as i've said today is the first day I'm really watching anything on Fields. How was he not the top QB in this draft, or at worst the 2nd best QB? Honest question here because from what I'm seeing how were teams not fighting to get this kid? Gets it down field but also showing touch on those throws fitting them in when needed. Read he has problems with pressure and I've seen a few throws with blitzers bearing down on him and he steps into it and makes the play(or at least tries to). Read he has pocket awareness problems and I see him moving around the pocket making plays with his legs while keeping his eyes down field. And while he's no Vick hes got some juice when he's in the open field. And then on top of all that, in that first clip posted by UOK, he hands it off and then charges 30-40 yards down the field to make the block that springs his back, out running the back to do it in the process.

So .....how was he even available for the Bears?
Same reason that The Bears drafted Mitch Trubisky #2. Leading up to the draft "NFL experts" hype up this kid or that one, and some GM's fall for it. I don't think Zach Wilson or Trey Lance are better than Fields. No way. But they got all of the hype. Personally I think Wilson is closer to Johnny Manziel than Baker Mayfield.
wab
Mod

I’ve never wanted the Bears to pick someone so damn bad. The last first round pick I felt this good about was #54.

I was terrified they were trading up for Jones. My wife here suuuuuucks so I didn’t see the actual pick until after the first was over.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:27 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:19 am I guess I didn't know Fields was 6'3" 227lbs. I thought he was under 6'3" and 215-ish. Wow. That's a big kid. Been watching quite a bit of Fields' highlights. Pretty excited right now. He also sounds like an NFL QB. Mitch never sounded like he knew what the hell he was doing.
And he ran a 4.4 forty at his pro day

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/311 ... es-pro-day

Granted pro days tend to have lower 40 times for guys but it's still a good sign. :welcome:
I saw that video. He stumbled both times too. I'll bet if he had a really good get off, he would have posted 4.37-4.39. But even 4.4 is amazingly fast for a QB. If you watch his highlights, when he runs, he's silky smooth too. But as one review said, he may be the best pocket passer of the class. His pocket awareness and ability to move around in it are next level.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Hoog wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:46 am BTW, did anyone else's ass tighten up when we made the trade thinking Pace would screw the pooch and take Jones instead of Fields? I had to hold my breath for 10 minutes until I heard the name Fields come out of the commish's mouth. I about wet myself.
I was more concerned about the price we were paying. I thought Pace would give up WAY to much as he is prone to do.

Looking at the value, an equal trade would have had us keep either this years 5th or next years 4th. So that's a small premium to pay to land a QB.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

@Hoog

Keep in mind that I had the same confidence that we were trading up for Watson when we took Mitch. Once I saw the trade I knew it had to be Fields. Jones and Fields are just too different with Fields being a much better fit for Nagy's offense. Since Nagy and Pace are most likely joined at the hip I figured there was no way it was Jones.

But I can totally see why you'd be worried. :)
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

This doesn't feel like the Mitch pick at all. With Mitch I was like "ok, lets give the kid a chance and hope he can do this". With Justin, the Bears actually reignited my excitement for football. I can't believe this kid is a Bear. You never know with a QB but man this kid sure does seem like hes the goods.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Hoog wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:46 am BTW, did anyone else's ass tighten up when we made the trade thinking Pace would screw the pooch and take Jones instead of Fields? I had to hold my breath for 10 minutes until I heard the name Fields come out of the commish's mouth.
Well, of course.

Although Jones was the most 'obvious' 'alternative pick', I didn't put any number of wacky selections past Pace.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:57 am My wife here suuuuuucks
:angel:
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.