Rd 1, P11: Justin Fields, QB - Ohio State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

crueltyabc wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:50 am When the Broncos didn’t pick him I started freaking out and I haven’t fully calmed down. We have hope again.
Same here. I’m even talking to anybody that would hear me in my neighborhood about how big this deal is, ordered two #1 Fields jerseys and still in awe that the Bears actually found a way to get the best player at the most critical position and need.
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:10 am
wab wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:57 am My wife here suuuuuucks
:angel:
Wifi. Don’t tell her.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

wab wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:38 am
Moriarty wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:10 am

:angel:
Wifi. Don’t tell her.
😂
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wiNDycityfan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:44 am
wab wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:38 am
Wifi. Don’t tell her.
😂
Best worst autocorrect evar.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

Just had to make another post because I am that happy and excited.

The only way I wanted a QB instead of OT was with a move like this and for who. I really was thinking Fields could be the best QB in this class. 2 20+ first is a great deal. I don’t feel they gave up much to move up. Honestly feel like this was a steal of the draft. I am happy Pace waited for this to develop and then attack when the opportunity came to be. Pace a few years ago would have offered the house to move up to #3 or so. At least it looks like he learned a little bit to wait. This worked out exactly how I hoped. I’m shocked Fields not only fell and the bears made a great trade.

There should be a good OT left when the bears are on the clock. God I hope Pace makes my day. Even if they moved up a bit if they like a specific player. Maybe package Miller with something to move up early in 2nd round.

Just excited guys.
AC 46Blitz
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

DevilsProspect wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:03 am

The only way I wanted a QB instead of OT was with a move like this and for who.
felt exactly the same. i was excited when darrisaw and slater were dropping because i had resigned myself to:
-reaching for mills or mond with our first round pick, and then...
-taking a second tier OT with our second rounder.

Taking a second tier OT stings a lot less after we got justin fields, who also i am so fucking pumped to get.
G08
Hall of Famer

I honestly didn't even study Justin Fields because I didn't think we had a shot in hell at getting him.

I'm watching this Clemson game... dude gets an illegal hit to his ribs, misses ONE play, comes back in and fires a TD and then limps off the field. Tremendous.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:39 am
But let’s not rush the guy out there and break his confidence. We’ve got a legit chance at a franchise QB. Much more so than when Mitch Slap happened.
I hate this line of thinking. If a guy can get his confidence crushed, you simply don't have a star QB. Every star QB has a short memory and ultra competitive, bordering on unhealthy, drive. The stars, they're not like us.

Now there may still be some benefit to letting him sit. He could clean up some mechanics a bit. He can get comfortable with the playbook. But I'm not worried about ruining confidence.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:57 am I honestly didn't even study Justin Fields because I didn't think we had a shot in hell at getting him.

I'm watching this Clemson game... dude gets an illegal hit to his ribs, misses ONE play, comes back in and fires a TD and then limps off the field. Tremendous.
I'm just so pumped. I was never in a position to actually be let down by Trubisky. Not the case here. I'm setting up myself for major disappointment if he flops lol.
Last edited by The Cooler King on Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I don’t buy into the “he will lose confidence” reasoning but I think he should sit a bit because I think bad reps make bad habits. If he’s confused by what he sees I worry that he’ll get into the habit of running too early or default to throwing jump balls to Robinson. Even if they worked because of talent, it wouldn’t be the best rep for him.

That said, I bet he’s ready to go by mid season at the latest
xyt in the discord chats
otis
Pro Bowler

Now, can we flip foles to get one of our picks back? If pace can do that then I'm all in!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Don't recall if I (or someone else) posted this here, but it's worthwhile reading/watching.
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/futur ... tin-fields
KFFL refugee.

IE
Hall of Famer

I haven't done a lick of work all day. I'm SO distracted now, and emotionally jacked that Pace and Nagy pulled that off... that all the proverbial stars aligned perfectly with pre-draft trades to allow what shouldn't have happened TO happen... for OUR benefit!

The biases that led to Jones rising and Fields falling ... the group think that led to Trey Lance being considered safe enough to pick at THREE! The "chatter" about "they" saying Fields may not want it or being dedicated. The silly articles like the ones from Sims saying Fields isn't really accurate. ALL this stuff I EFFING HATE. BUT... I LOVE that it all conspired to benefit the Chicago Bears. Frigging BEAUTIFUL.

:party:
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:45 am Don't recall if I (or someone else) posted this here, but it's worthwhile reading/watching.
it'd be kind of neat to have a deep passing game.
IE
Hall of Famer

This is from PFF (behind a paywall, and from a friend):

WINNER: CHICAGO BEARS

Once Justin Fields started falling, whichever team traded up to snag him was going to be a winner in this year's draft. It will cost the Bears a few picks, including their first-round slot in 2022, but they finally get a bona fide superstar quarterback prospect. One could argue that Fields is a top-five quarterback prospect of the past decade.

He is the only player in the PFF College era (2015 to present) to post a turnover-worthy play rate under 3% and a big-time throw rate above 8% among college football players with at least 500 career dropbacks. He is a ludicrously accurate quarterback who can handle all of the quarterback-designed run schemes that head coach Matt Nagy can imagine.

Fields’ processing concerns were way overblown and, frankly, false. He is that good, and he fell to the teens. This might be the steal of the decade.
GSH
MVP

A real turning point for the franchise, the mad lad did it.
edep12
Journeyman

Now can we turn back time and undo the Dalton signing and use that money to retain Fuller? Lol
IE
Hall of Famer

I can't believe the Niners paid THREE first rounders and a 3rd rounders to select Trey Lance over Justin Fields. Basically a first rounder MORE to not draft Fields.

Did someone already post this good Football Outsiders piece on why Fields is QB2? And would be QB1 in any other draft?

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:01 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:39 am
But let’s not rush the guy out there and break his confidence. We’ve got a legit chance at a franchise QB. Much more so than when Mitch Slap happened.
I hate this line of thinking. If a guy can get his confidence crushed, you simply don't have a star QB. Every star QB has a short memory and ultra competitive, bordering on unhealthy, drive. The stars, they're not like us.

Now there may still be some benefit to letting him sit. He could clean up some mechanics a bit. He can get comfortable with the playbook. But I'm not worried about ruining confidence.
Andy Reid would beg to differ.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:19 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:01 am

Andy Reid would beg to differ.
He quoted confidence as his reason for sitting his past rookie QBs?
G08
Hall of Famer

Holy shit apparently he's incredibly smart too! From reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/m ... e_highest/
Mark Sanchez: Justin Fields scored the highest ever in an aptitude test administered to professional athletes

I'm paraphrasing here, but there is an aptitude test that professional athletes are put through to test their ability to determine the number of repetitions needed for them to "get it", as well as their ability to recall these information after a while. 6500 tests were administered historically, and Justin Fields scored the highest ever at 130. Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen scored a 108 on this exam, and typically anything over 100 is really good.

Source. He was talking about this in an interview with Pat McAfee.

Edit: Here's an example of what a report for this test would look like. I also would like to clarify that Fields scored the highest for the "Learning Efficiency" section, not the Full Scale Score.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

LacertineForest
MVP

A summary of my afternoon/evening, yesterday:

docc
Head Coach

New Chicago Bears quarterback Justin Fields said Friday his epilepsy diagnosis has had "zero effect on football."

Fields, who was diagnosed with epilepsy in the ninth grade, takes medication to manage the neurological condition.

Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reported Fields does not have seizures while he's taking medication. Other members of his family have grown out of the condition, and doctors are confident he will as well.

"Justin's health, toughness and work ethic have never been an issue and I am incredibly proud of his professionalism and the character he displays on and off the field," Ohio State coach Ryan Day said on Twitter after that report. "The fact that he never missed a game at Ohio State speaks volumes about how he takes care of himself."

The Bears traded the No. 20 pick and a fifth-rounder (No. 164), along with first- and fourth-round picks in 2022, to move up to No. 11 and select Fields after he fell out of the top 10. He is expected to open the season as the backup behind Andy Dalton, who the Bears signed to a one-year contract in March.

However, the writing is on the wall for Dalton's tenure as QB1. He has been a below-average NFL starting quarterback in recent seasons, and Fields has face-of-the-franchise talent.

"I expect to be a franchise quarterback and one day, hopefully, be a top-five quarterback in this league," Fields said.
malk
Head Coach

Fucking hell, I'm happy with this. What a weird feeling!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Bears area scout talking about fields. The 4 min mark I think is the best compliment a player could get.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Here's what Dane Brugler had to say about Justin Fields, what Ourlads says, and what National Draft Bible says.
KFFL refugee.

dave99
Assistant Coach

If this is already posted, I apologize, been sort of busy.
But I think this is interesting.
Some bad stuff but good stuff too.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

That video makes me want to draft Jamar Johnson.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So after a day of watching videos. All the scouting reports are exactly what you see. Strong arm, accurate, athletic etc. He does seem to throw late on breaks and pressure gets him. Not a magician in the pocket but athletic in the pocket.

Its wierd his delivery is close to what I remember Jeff George having. His athleticism is hard to compare to a QB. I could see a comp being like a more athletic Carson Palmer.
IE
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:28 am I could see a comp being like a more athletic Carson Palmer.
:o That would be... "pretty good", huh?