Rd 5, P151: Larry Borom, OT - Missouri

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

(LAST NAME PRONOUNCED: BORE-um) Tremendous blend of size and athleticism, is a former basketball player with great footwork and body control along the offensive line … Has a huge upside with a frame that takes on added strength and combines well with his current talent level … Moves well for his size and has shown an ability to block effectively in space … A three-star recruit by 247Sports.com, ESPN.com and Scout.com while earning a two-star distinction from Rivals.com … Rated as the No. 8 player in Oakland County (MI) prior to his senior season … Caught the eye of the Tiger coaching staff when he attended Mizzou’s Elite Camp “Night at the Zou” over the summer, and committed to the Tigers during his visit … High school coach: Dave Sofran …. Primary recruiter: Ryan Walters … Cited Mizzou’s family feel as a key reason for his signing to continue his education and football career at Mizzou … Chose Mizzou over Central Michigan, Eastern Kentucky, Michigan State, Purdue and Western Michigan among others.
IE
Hall of Famer

See ya, Charles.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
UOK
Site Admin

MACKSMACK
Practice Squad

Build up that line and run it down their throat!!!
NYer that fell in love with Sweetness destroying defenders with that legendary stiff arm @ 8 yrs old. I'll never forget those early days and now, after many many years we have some integral players that'll be the key to success in the very near future.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:15 pmSee ya, Charles.
You spelled "James Daniels" wrong, I think.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/larry-bor ... 1b59001f4a

They have him down as a guard. Zierlein projected him as a 6th round pick.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Sounds interesting enough as a development prospect. Probably doesn't mean good things for last year's 2 OL.

Definitely seems more likely to end up inside, but perhaps will be able to play OT as a backup.
UOK
Site Admin

thunderspirit
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:43 pm
Heh, was just coming to post this.

I still think he'll have to move inside, but this is interesting, to say the least.
KFFL refugee.

WagonForce
MVP

Versatile and athletic lineman come on down!
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Our first three picks and every one of them is exactly what the offense needs. :drool: If this shit is really happening then by god I will finally get a real TV.
IE
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:20 pm
James Daniels was playing like a beast last year before he was injured. What did he do wrong, other than play G really well?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:07 pm

James Daniels was playing like a beast last year before he was injured. What did he do wrong, other than play G really well?
Possible. It's also the second season he's been injured a chunk of the season. "Nasty" is not currently a big part of Daniels' game, but maybe this changes that, I dunno.

In any case it's clearly an attitude adjustment for the offensive line. Maybe they see Jenkins and Borom as their bookend Ts and neither moving inside to G. I guess we'll see.
KFFL refugee.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Whenever I try and bring up what a disappointment he's been I'm assured that once he stops getting injured he's gonna dominate.
wulfy
MVP

He's a massive human being.

He's either a guard or a RT with Jenkins possibly sliding over to the left side.

I generally trust Pace in these rounds in the draft.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Wrong. Sam Mustipher is gone and either Cody Whitehair or James Daniels will play Center. That’s the way I see it anyhow.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
IE
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:19 pm

Whenever I try and bring up what a disappointment he's been I'm assured that once he stops getting injured he's gonna dominate.
Stops getting injured? One time? And you want to start acting like he's Rex Tucker?

Dude... h played every snap from the time he started starting in week 7 of his rookie year ('18) until last year with that injury. Those pec injuries are common with linemen. It wasn't like he was big fat & out of shape and injured, like Hicks. Daniels was playing great. I can't imagine cutting a guy who was playing that well because he was injured. And he's only 23!! He's not even a man yet!

I really don't get this idea at all. Are you mad?
EricTighe
MVP

What is the issue with our interior line?
Guards are Daniels, Whitehair and Bars which matches up to some of the best O lines in football. Oh yeah Daniels is younger than a lot of the lineman coming out this year.
Center is Mustipher. Not sure the plain hatred for this kid. Makes all the right calls and plays like a nasty SOB. Our best center since Kreutz leave the kid alone and let him blossom into our center for the next 10 years. He did nothing last year to warrant the negative vibes that come from in here. WHo cares if he went undrafted.

Tackle is our issue. WIth Massie gone and Jankins taking over it is going to make our Oline look top ten again. Leno is more then serviceable. Though not worth 11 million a year.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:29 pm
RustyTrubisky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:19 pm

Stops getting injured? One time? And you want to start acting like he's Rex Tucker?

Dude... h played every snap from the time he started starting in week 7 of his rookie year ('18) until last year with that injury. Those pec injuries are common with linemen. It wasn't like he was big fat & out of shape and injured, like Hicks. Daniels was playing great. I can't imagine cutting a guy who was playing that well because he was injured. And he's only 23!! He's not even a man yet!

I really don't get this idea at all. Are you mad?
Okay.
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

Yeah, Daniels hasn’t had injury issues. Not sure where that’s coming from.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'll guess it is more frustration that he was supposed to be the answer at C and then struggled. But at G he's played very well. He was the least of the 5 needing replacement.
wab
Mod

Pretty sure Jenkins is the successor to Leno. Borom is probably in the mix at RT in the future. Simmons and Hambright probably get sent to the PS.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:42 pm Sounds interesting enough as a development prospect. Probably doesn't mean good things for last year's 2 OL.

Definitely seems more likely to end up inside, but perhaps will be able to play OT as a backup.
This is correct. I don't know where the Daniels thing is coming from, we are certainly not in a position to let good OL leave. I was thinking in another thread that this might allow us to cut Leno because he'd at least give us some serious cap relief. We have 5 tackles now, although 3 of them can play inside (and this kid may project better inside, I have no idea, seems he played most of his ball at RT in college). Even if we keep 9 OL there's no place for last years rookies but the practice squad.

Leno, Ifedi, Wilkenson, Daniels, Whitehair, Mustipher, Jenkins, Bars and now Borom makes 9. Not looking good for either Hambright or Simmons, I suspect they saw what they needed to see from them and decided they'd better keep trying. But Borom is no lock to make the squad as a 5th rounder.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:07 pm

the thing is, he wasnt playing G really well. he was actually pretty bad and that's revisionist history on your part. his final pff grade for the 2020 season was a shitty 65.8. Adam Hoge ranked his play worse than Quinn in 2020, and you know how everybody feels about that guy.
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... r-analysis
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15042&p=256806&hili ... ls#p256806

Right now the best thing he has going for him is everybody REALLY WANTS him to be good.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Interesting, I don't remember it that way at all. I thought he was playing well, and the impact when he went out of the lineup was dramatic.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

he's just insanely inconsistent. he has splash plays, but also i remember many times last season where he just looked lost, or was reaching and taking himself out of plays.

It still seems insane to me that he hasnt put it together yet and he still very well might. But I think it would have been irresponsible of pace not to bring in real competition on the interior when daniels:
-flamed out at center, and then
-hasnt shown anything consistent enough to warrant having the job just handed to him.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Here's what Dane Brugler, National Draft Bible, and Ourlads have to say about Larry Borom.
KFFL refugee.

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

wab wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:46 pm Pretty sure Jenkins is the successor to Leno. Borom is probably in the mix at RT in the future. Simmons and Hambright probably get sent to the PS.
His weaknesses are his arms being short for a tackle and handling the speed rush, so banking on him to be the left tackle would be a mistake.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:46 pm Pretty sure Jenkins is the successor to Leno. Borom is probably in the mix at RT in the future. Simmons and Hambright probably get sent to the PS.
This is my thinking. Jenkins has a fantastic first kick step, and plays speed rushers really, really well. Almost toys with them. My guess is that Jenkins moves to LT, and a group, including Borom fight for RT. The middle OL of Daniels-Mustipher-Whitehair is pretty damn good.

I'm guessing Leno is a June 1st cut. Save us $8M.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:05 pm
His weaknesses are his arms being short for a tackle and handling the speed rush, so banking on him to be the left tackle would be a mistake.
You can't just look at his arms and say, he can't play LT. He handles the speed rush really well. He sets OLB's up and then pancakes them. Jenkins can overcome 3/4" in arm length.