Rd 5, P151: Larry Borom, OT - Missouri

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

thunderspirit
Head Coach

PFF's assessment of the Larry Borom pick:
Borom is coming off an impressive 87.0 overall grade at Missouri this past season. He’s unlikely to find similar success in the NFL due to some of his physical limitations. Still, he’s a big body to put up front, checking in at 322 pounds at his Pro Day, and uses his hands well. That’s enough for Chicago to work with at this stage of the draft.

Pick Grade: Average
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

Just as a salary cap move, I could see Leno gone. There really isn’t many places the bears to trim fat other then with Graham and Leno. Outside some restructuring and signing Robinson to new deal. So all signs point to Jenkins at LT and Borom at RT. Or course things could change, but see this as the intent IMO.

Borom looks pretty freaking strong. He definitely looks like he can move inside at worse, but looks like he can be a good RT.

Though you can never know how these guys are going to do in the pros, but I really like what direction Pace went in the draft. Even if some of the picks and moves don’t work out, I really like what he did. Not use to this. Lol
AC 46Blitz
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:25 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:05 pm

His weaknesses are his arms being short for a tackle and handling the speed rush, so banking on him to be the left tackle would be a mistake.
You can't just look at his arms and say, he can't play LT. He handles the speed rush really well. He sets OLB's up and then pancakes them. Jenkins can overcome 3/4" in arm length.
I didn’t say he couldn’t, I said it would be a mistake to bank on a rookie that doesn’t have the physical profile of an NFL left tackle to come in and be the left tackle of the future.

If you cut Leno expecting Jenkins to takeover and then realize that the majority of people who project him as a right tackle are right, what’s the back up plan?
wab
Mod

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:30 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:25 pm

You can't just look at his arms and say, he can't play LT. He handles the speed rush really well. He sets OLB's up and then pancakes them. Jenkins can overcome 3/4" in arm length.
I didn’t say he couldn’t, I said it would be a mistake to bank on a rookie that doesn’t have the physical profile of an NFL left tackle to come in and be the left tackle of the future.

If you cut Leno expecting Jenkins to takeover and then realize that the majority of people who project him as a right tackle are right, what’s the back up plan?
How does Jenkins not have the physical profile of a LT?

The Bears current LT is 6’3 305lbs...
IE
Hall of Famer

I remember when Joe Thomas was in the draft and the knock on him was his short 32" arms.

That doesn't mean "go ahead and safely pick 32 inch arm guys for your LT". It is just a great example of arm length being only one of many success factors - and probably not a top one.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:59 am

With an 84 inch wingspan.

We know Leno isn't a prototype, he's an anomaly. His length helps him be able to play there.

Concerns over Jenkins' length (33 1/2 inch arms, 81 inch wingspan) are legit. It doesn't mean he can't succeed there, it just means his tools aren't necessarily ideal.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
IE
Hall of Famer

Leno is actually pretty good in pass protection because of his wingspan and how he plays. He doesn't use power or knock guys down (he can't) - he finesses them away from the QB while giving up ground. That's kind of the opposite of these new guys, who are going to win using power. Leno can be a liability at times in the run game - although not always because he is pretty athletic & can move. When Leno leaves this year or next, he's going to find good work somewhere protecting in a pass-wacky offense.

For a team that wants & needs to run the ball more, the more power-centric young olinemen like Jenkins and Borom fit the plan better. Even if they occasionally get beat on the edge. With athletic QB like Fields, that is an acceptable tradeoff.

Right now I'm leaning toward Leno staying and starting Jenkins on the right. But still see what Jenkins can do there. Borom then I guess is going to sit mostly, unless he establishes himself as an upgrade over Whitehair or Daniels. Or if they decide to move Whitehair back to C (which I'd be mad about).
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Between this and the Jenkins pick it looks like Pace maybe has decided to follow the Alabama/Nick Saban philosophy of finding the biggest, strongest, angriest son's of bitches you can and turning them loose on the guy across from them.

I like it.

I hope Borom can play out at Tackle - but even if he isn't a full time starter there he should provide depth across the entire OL.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

wab wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:59 am

Arm length has shown to be a strong indicator of success at the position. There are far more players who haven’t succeeded with shorter arms than the exceptions.

And when Brad Biggs talked to his college offensive line coach about playing left tackle, the coach said that he thought he could but that he would be a dominant right tackle. I’m fine with making Leno compete for his job but I think we should pencil in Jenkins at Right Tackle.

Interestingly, I think the arm length thing (among other things) might contribute to Borom eventually having to move inside.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:23 pm
wab wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:46 pm Pretty sure Jenkins is the successor to Leno. Borom is probably in the mix at RT in the future. Simmons and Hambright probably get sent to the PS.
This is my thinking. Jenkins has a fantastic first kick step, and plays speed rushers really, really well. Almost toys with them. My guess is that Jenkins moves to LT, and a group, including Borom fight for RT. The middle OL of Daniels-Mustipher-Whitehair is pretty damn good.

I'm guessing Leno is a June 1st cut. Save us $8M.
Fwiw, theres really no need to wait until June 1 to cut him. Can still cut him and designate him a June 1 cut later.

But perhaps its worth waiting until final cuts. Maybe someone get inured in training camp, etc. They can free up cap other ways in order to get the draft class signed if need be.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Didn't love this pick especially with others still on the board
wab
Mod

It certainly seems like the days of the Bears having undersized athletes on the OL are coming to an end.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:14 am It certainly seems like the days of the Bears having undersized athletes on the OL are coming to an end.
Does that mean they might not keep 4 TEs AND an H back?

Seriously though I wonder what that trend means for Mustipher.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:59 am
wab wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:14 am It certainly seems like the days of the Bears having undersized athletes on the OL are coming to an end.

The center always gets a pass if he does a good job coordinating the job of the other 4 beasts. Like a lion tamer.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:03 pm

The center always gets a pass if he does a good job coordinating the job of the other 4 beasts. Like a lion tamer.
That's what I'm hoping. I'm a Mustipher fan. Especially with the prospect of having 2 rookies out there. A guy who is "in control" and coaching guys up on the field... invaluable. I hope Borom displaces Ifedi I really do. Let Ifedi and Bars fight it out for Swing T. Or I don't know - let them each focus primarily on a side (Bars on left).
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Kreutz was a ProBowl C and he wasn't a big guy. He was just able to wrangle the mob into an effective team.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:34 pm

Kreutz was a ProBowl C and he wasn't a big guy. He was just able to wrangle the mob into an effective team.
You mean punch.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Love punches
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:34 pm

We was strong as hell though.
IE
Hall of Famer

Watched some Borom film today. Guy seems pretty light on his feet and athletic for a big fatty. If you ask me, he looks more athletic, competent and in control than J'Marcus Webb, John St. Clair or Frank Omiyale - who all started for the Bears at LT. If we don't like Jenkins at left, try Borom over there.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears scout breaks down Larry Borom:
https://www.chicagobears.com/video/bear ... arry-borom
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

An hour long interview with Larry Borom starting at 30:30.

G08
Hall of Famer

Ryan Pace had Larry Borom ranked as a 3rd round pick, apparently.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:22 pm Ryan Pace had Larry Borom ranked as a 3rd round pick, apparently.
Interesting. He went largely unnoticed during the draft process. Most outlets had him ranked anywhere between the late 4th to the 6th.

He's a big nasty dude though.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:46 am
G08 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:22 pm Ryan Pace had Larry Borom ranked as a 3rd round pick, apparently.
Interesting. He went largely unnoticed during the draft process. Most outlets had him ranked anywhere between the late 4th to the 6th.

Played at 352 lbs, was down to 322 lbs for his Pro Day. Juan Castillo wants him around 332; curious to see how he moves at that weight. Could be a hell of a RG...

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:03 am
wab wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:46 am

Played at 352 lbs, was down to 322 lbs for his Pro Day. Juan Castillo wants him around 332; curious to see how he moves at that weight. Could be a hell of a RG...
I think they have every intention to play him at RT after Ifedi leaves. Unless Ifedi just explodes and develops into a long term solution, then I could see them moving Borom inside. They clearly want to get bigger on the OL.
IE
Hall of Famer

Freaking Hogs, man! Hogs R Us!

I'm so jacked about an improving run game. Combination of the big young fatties and improved calls from a true Center... we might see some great stuff in the run game. And then how much does that benefit the pass game with the D on their heels and a QB who can make them pay? Yes!
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:06 am
G08 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:03 am

I think they have every intention to play him at RT after Ifedi leaves. Unless Ifedi just explodes and develops into a long term solution, then I could see them moving Borom inside. They clearly want to get bigger on the OL.
I don't know if he's drunk but Juan Castillo said he thinks Ifedi can be a Pro Bowler this season :lol:

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:01 pm
wab wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:06 am
I don't know if he's drunk but Juan Castillo said he thinks Ifedi can be a Pro Bowler this season :lol:
Every off season there’s a plethora of meatball themed articles about how so and so is going to be Thanos and destroy the universe this season. IIRC there was one about Daniels showing up jacked and then the guy gets hurt and misses most of the season.
IE
Hall of Famer

Technically, Thanos was "saving" the universe from us pests.