I'm dying to hear from you all on these late rounders

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

I just don't know squat about any of these guys...c'mon draftniks let's hear it!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'll check in after dinner, I promise.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Graham was ranked 76th overall by PFF for all that's worth, but Herbert and Newsome didn't have a lot production. Seth Williams would have been a nice reliable possession guy and was available at 217.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
EricTighe
MVP

Herbert is alot like Montgomery that returned kicks.
https://hokiesports.com/sports/football ... bert/10419

Dazz Newsome some people flat out loved this kid. Think Anthony Miller clone.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/dazz ... -receiver/

Thomas Graham was a steal. He worked on his game during his off year this year. Here are the Senior bowl noted. Loved this pick and thought he would go no later then 3rd round,
https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/ore ... enior-bowl

Tonga is just what the doctor ordered an early down run defender with kinda of the same things said about him as Hicks. Good pick for what he does.
https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft/202 ... -tonga-byu
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

a franchise QB and 2 solid OT's with their first 3 picks is beyond what I could have possibly hoped for and made the entire draft a win in my book

as for the late rounders, I think Tonga is going to be a beast in the middle of the DL and the perfect replacement for Hicks if he moves on as has been rumored ... it won't take long for people to wonder why he lasted until the 7th round

but man, him AND Hicks would be sweet
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
thunderspirit
Head Coach

EricTighe wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:58 pm Herbert is alot like Montgomery that returned kicks.
https://hokiesports.com/sports/football ... bert/10419

Dazz Newsome some people flat out loved this kid. Think Anthony Miller clone.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/dazz ... -receiver/

Thomas Graham was a steal. He worked on his game during his off year this year. Here are the Senior bowl noted. Loved this pick and thought he would go no later then 3rd round,
https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/ore ... enior-bowl

Tonga is just what the doctor ordered an early down run defender with kinda of the same things said about him as Hicks. Good pick for what he does.
https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft/202 ... -tonga-byu
This is fairly accurate.

Herbert had a pretty productive 2020 as a Virginia Tech grad transfer (28.0% of the Hokies' yards from scrimmage) after two and a half blah seasons at Kansas (and a row with Les Miles -- I'll default to his side over Miles on that). He's kind of a washed-in-hot-water version of David Montgomery, minus the durability.

Newsome is a pure slot. He looks like he plays faster and quicker than his pro day numbers, honestly. He doesn't look like he has natural hands and certainly doesn't run pro routes, so Mike Furrey has his work cut out for him with this guy.

I have no idea why Graham fell to the sixth -- in my eyes, he's an early Day 3 talent for sure, productive in a Power 5 conference and didn't run poorly. He's not ever likely to be a stud, but I think he can be a reliable, solid all around type. I've got some hope he can develop into a low-level starter.

Tonga is a backup nose. I don't think he'll ever be anything more than a depth/spot starting piece, and maybe not even that. He's probably strong enough to play in the NFL without much additional weight work.
KFFL refugee.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

This draft was all around pretty good. We will see if it plans out but almost every pick makes sense. Every draft looks to get 2-3 starters and depth. the bears could get 3 starters, and 3 rotational guys out of this draft. Not much negative you can say.
wab
Mod

I didn’t really understand the Borom pick. He’s basically the same guy as Ifedi and Wilkinson. Maybe he beats out Wilkinson and the Bears eat a million bucks, but the player seems overly redundant.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I may have reported your post trying to quote you. I agree wab. But that doesn't bother me to much.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I think they view Borom as a depth piece who has something they want to see if they can develop. I've got doubts he's anything, but he certainly has the attitude they want, and appears to have good football character, so time will tell.
KFFL refugee.

aussiebear99
Practice Squad

thunderspirit wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:51 am I think they view Borom as a depth piece who has something they want to see if they can develop. I've got doubts he's anything, but he certainly has the attitude they want, and appears to have good football character, so time will tell.
I think with Borom they wanted to make sure they had the opposite problem to the middle of last season with the OL injuries and COVID-19 problems. I think Nagy and Pace looked at Coward starting and said THAT IS NEVER HAPPENING AGAIN, hence the signature Pace double-up.
aussiebear99
Practice Squad

thunderspirit wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:42 pm Herbert had a pretty productive 2020 as a Virginia Tech grad transfer (28.0% of the Hokies' yards from scrimmage) after two and a half blah seasons at Kansas (and a row with Les Miles -- I'll default to his side over Miles on that). He's kind of a washed-in-hot-water version of David Montgomery, minus the durability.
I read the (long) NBC Sports article on Herbert that was posted here. The coach emphasised his vision and explosiveness, which is what you want from a zone runner.

Also, he ran 4.49, so he's somewhat faster than Montgomery (4.64 at the combine, though 4.57 at his pro day which may be the better comp.)
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:10 am I didn’t really understand the Borom pick. He’s basically the same guy as Ifedi and Wilkinson. Maybe he beats out Wilkinson and the Bears eat a million bucks, but the player seems overly redundant.
Both those guys are signed for 1 year. Borom will sign a 4 year deal. Makes perfect sense. 1 year to train (improve conditioning, learn offense, whatever). Then take over.
EricTighe
MVP

aussiebear99 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:27 am
thunderspirit wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:42 pm Herbert had a pretty productive 2020 as a Virginia Tech grad transfer (28.0% of the Hokies' yards from scrimmage) after two and a half blah seasons at Kansas (and a row with Les Miles -- I'll default to his side over Miles on that). He's kind of a washed-in-hot-water version of David Montgomery, minus the durability.
I read the (long) NBC Sports article on Herbert that was posted here. The coach emphasised his vision and explosiveness, which is what you want from a zone runner.

Also, he ran 4.49, so he's somewhat faster than Montgomery (4.64 at the combine, though 4.57 at his pro day which may be the better comp.)
Ok a faster Montgomery, Pro day time was 4.46

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... ng-report/
IE
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:30 pm
aussiebear99 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:27 am

He is quicker too. Maybe more quick than "fast", IMO. Watch his feet and change of direction. He's closer to Cohen in that area than Monty.

I'm NOT saying anything crazy like he could replace Monty. Monty's ability to gain yards out of nothing is really pretty amazing. I DO like the idea of having a rotation of 3 backs that get carries. Even if Monty needs to get his 15-14... I'd still like to see the speed guy Williams and Herbert get a handful of opportunities per game. And I really don't see much role for Cohen in the run game other than running routes from the backfield and some gadget plays.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:29 am
EricTighe wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:30 pm

He is quicker too. Maybe more quick than "fast", IMO. Watch his feet and change of direction. He's closer to Cohen in that area than Monty.

I'm NOT saying anything crazy like he could replace Monty. Monty's ability to gain yards out of nothing is really pretty amazing. I DO like the idea of having a rotation of 3 backs that get carries. Even if Monty needs to get his 15-14... I'd still like to see the speed guy Williams and Herbert get a handful of opportunities per game. And I really don't see much role for Cohen in the run game other than running routes from the backfield and some gadget plays.
i actually thought too, just after watching his highlights, that he was going to potentially be cohen's replacement eventually.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

My buddy who is a Virginia Tech fan and alumnus (we were roommates when Kyle was there, which is why i was a big fan of his) thinks very highly of Herbert and sees him as an NFL starter. He's also high on Dazz and says he's very scary in the open field so he could be a jet sweep/gadget guy to compliment Tariq. I think all three of these guys are supposed to create more YAC. I haven't been that impressed by Mooney as a runner with the ball. I see him using his speed to get open, but not much after. (that might not be backed up by stats, more of an impression)

Also, if Ifedi is good at RT this year, wouldn't it be smart to re-sign him longer term? In this way, Borom would be more like competition for Bars and Ifedi becomes the "veteran presence" even though he's still young
xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:15 pm
Also, if Ifedi is good at RT this year, wouldn't it be smart to re-sign him longer term? In this way, Borom would be more like competition for Bars and Ifedi becomes the "veteran presence" even though he's still young
i dont know why but my brain refuses to acknowledge how young ifedi still is. if you ask me in 5 minutes how old he is i'll say "i dunno, 33?"
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:09 pm
i dont know why but my brain refuses to acknowledge how young ifedi still is. if you ask me in 5 minutes how old he is i'll say "i dunno, 33?"
Are you angling for a board-funded Ifedi jersey?? You’ll have to wait till he gets extended bro we’re not gonna invest till the Bears do
xyt in the discord chats
IE
Hall of Famer

True point about Ifedi. I TOTALLY forgot he's only 26. I think that was Kyle Long's age when he was drafted. Seriously.

The Bear Oline is looking pretty good on paper. I hope they can block what Nagy wants to do. IF Jenkins settles in and plays well at LT that will be pretty amazing. It would be astonishing if they don't have to draft linemen for a year or two and could focus on skill positions and defense. A stud WR to replace Arob. Another TE. Starting CB and S, defensive playmakers and depth.

I'd rather see the young rookie step in and beat out Ifedi now, because of cost and he's even younger.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

RustyTrubisky wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:09 pm
Yeah, I sometimes forget he's a 26 year old former 1st round pick.

I'd like to see him a little slimmer...back around the 325 he was when he was drafted instead of the 340-ish he is now, but I think I read that he bulked up to play inside, so maybe knowing that he's going to play outside he'll shed some weight.