Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

everybody probably vaguely remembers seeing this highlight at some point
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

dplank
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:20 pm
Holy shit that is awesome. An all time great album.

Too bad we didn't draft DJ Salty Nuts.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Some profiles include PR stats and I think they might be planning to pull Cohen off PR duty after it got him hurt. Plus this guy will potentially be starting slot. A great pick!

Edit: some nice punt returns in the highlight video
xyt in the discord chats
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Newsome is a decent punt returner. I'm pretty sure, if he makes the team (and there's little reason he shouldn't), Cohen's days back there are done.

Here's what Dane Brugler, National Draft Bible, and Ourlads have to say about Dazz Newsome.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
IE
Hall of Famer

I posted this elsewhere. But his walk-up/hype music on KR/PR HAS to be this. I'm telling you... Soldier Fields will rock. Dazz has always been disco-jazz.

2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

PFF's assessment of the Dazz Newsome pick:
Newsome’s shiftiness and make-you-miss ability could provide a path to the field in Chicago. He’ll likely be limited to a slot role, given some of the issues he has with contact throughout his routes. He will have to clean up some of the body catches on his tape from North Carolina, though.

Pick Grade: Average
KFFL refugee.

IE
Hall of Famer

Don't worry, Dazz. ARob is still cleaning up his occasional body catches and Pop Warner jumping to catch the ball. Nobody cares how you do it, really - if you're productive and don't have the drops.

Bring the speed, kid!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Hopefully he has the work ethic that Miller seems to lack. He's not a speedster but I like how the writeups emphasize his YAC. The new slot receiver?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IE
Hall of Famer

I don't know why I put myself in a position to be an Anthony Miller apologist. It is probably just because he's the topic of a lot of hyperbole and misplaced criticism - and that bugs me more than I actually like him.

I've never heard one word about him having a poor work ethic. He is a less precise route runner than what was needed because Mitch Trubisky could literally almost only throw to a spot. And he definitely has a maturity problem that has led to him doing a couple of things detrimental to the team. He's had a few big drops (although he's also had some very big acrobatic catches to win games).

But I've never heard anyone question his work ethic.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:19 am But I've never heard anyone question his work ethic.
Reasonable. I haven't either.

Just him doing brain-dead things at inopportune moments, which speaks to maturity and/or emotional intelligence, not willingness to work.
KFFL refugee.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

yeah if it was actually a work ethic thing that probably would have leaked by now. dude just has lapses. someone said once here that he can make spectacular catches look easy and then drop the easy passes. Dude just has lapses.

But also, what fans really dont know is how often wr's are running the wrong routes, or making the wrong adjustments on the fly. they have given him ample chances and they are still trying to trade him... which speaks to issues we as fans know nothing about.

on it's face, trading away his cheap contract makes no sense, when we have so little depth! so there's absolutely 100% something there that again, we know nothing about.
IE
Hall of Famer

I think a big part of it is a personality thing with Nagy. Although Nagy said there were "no turds" in a locker room with Miller in it, it seems like they are oil & water. It happens. I totally see Nagy playing a guy he likes better and thinks "gets him" better - because "getting him" means "getting it". But Nagy seems to like to be stroked, and I'm not sure that works since Miller is the one who needs stroking. I think Miller would probably do better on another team.

I'm VERY interested to see if his "lack of discipline" in route running is still there without Mitch, with Miller playing with QBs who might be able to work a little more intuitively with a WR who can get open. Immaturity aside, as a football player I believe Miller would thrive with a more creative QB like Mahomes or Stafford.

I'm pretty excited about Dazz. Love the speed - that's a goal.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Read more than once about him being late to practices.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:25 am
IE wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:19 am But I've never heard anyone question his work ethic.

Just him doing brain-dead things at inopportune moments, which speaks to maturity and/or emotional intelligence, not willingness to work.
His teammates literally voted him “most likely to miss a meeting”.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:53 pm

I think you're referring to this, @wab. Which was tantamount to teasing at a roast, but most likely some truth to it.

It might call into question his dedication to being a professional, no doubt about it.
KFFL refugee.

dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:19 am I don't know why I put myself in a position to be an Anthony Miller apologist. It is probably just because he's the topic of a lot of hyperbole and misplaced criticism - and that bugs me more than I actually like him.
hahahaha, I get this totally. I'm finding myself doing the same on the "when to play Fields" thread. I don't even want Fields to start Day 1, but the cliche reasons people keep throwing out there that he'll learn more by sitting just irks me.

But back to Dazz since this has deviated to a Miller conversation. Is there any smoke around Dazz's work ethic/maturity? Or was this all a convo because of the "I hope he's better than Miller" comment?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:54 am But back to Dazz since this has deviated to a Miller conversation. Is there any smoke around Dazz's work ethic/maturity? Or was this all a convo because of the "I hope he's better than Miller" comment?
He was suspended one game in 2019 for missing practice. Brugler's scouting report says that he "can be baited into extra contact with defenders" (where have we seen that before?), and National Draft Bible says that "Newsome is not the most nuanced routerunner at this time. He has shown instances of rounding out of breaks...[t]here will have to be a huge emphasis on the finer elements of the wide receiver position." So he needs to be more disciplined.

But then, I did too at almost 22, you know?
KFFL refugee.

IE
Hall of Famer

I'm going to go ahead and guess that Dazz replaces Ridley. And between Wims and Miller it is Miller that sticks for '21 and Wims loses his spot to Marquise Goodwin. I'm in favor of both of these things.

Robinson
Mooney
Miller
Goodwin
Newsome
(Cohen)

Speed kills, baby.
UOK
Site Admin

IE wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:08 am I'm going to go ahead and guess that Dazz replaces Ridley. And between Wims and Miller it is Miller that sticks for '21 and Wims loses his spot to Marquise Goodwin. I'm in favor of both of these things.

Robinson
Mooney
Miller
Goodwin
Newsome
(Cohen)

Speed kills, baby.
I'm not so sure. I think the Bears will give Ridley a TON of second team opportunities to see if there's any gelling with Fields. Ridley and Fields had a brief time together at Georgia, so who knows.

I don't have any interest in defending Ridley, but I think he's far more likely to be on the game 1 roster than Anthony Miller.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:53 pm

Yep.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

IE
Hall of Famer

Where's that poll? I believe it I just want to see the rest of it. Because if they're open to assassinating each other's character in public polls, I want to see more!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The link in my first reply to wab has the recap, @IE. It looks like it was an impromptu sort of thing at a charity event.
KFFL refugee.

IE
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:33 pm The link in my first reply to wab has the recap, @IE. It looks like it was an impromptu sort of thing at a charity event.
Ah... gotcha. LOL OK well I guess that seals it. He's clearly un-salvageable given that formal assessment.
EricTighe
MVP

Hate to say it but this is what scared my son about him after looking up his Twitter account.

SOn told me how he loves showing gang signs there.

Hopefully, he is as good as he thinks, and that some of our vets show him the right way. If not we could be looking at an Anthony Miller clone.

So I can kinda believe the statement above from his teammates.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

He could get the PR job, but this is also a big middle finger to Miller.

I'm surprised he didn't get cut faster than Leno.
I truly wonder if they're just keeping him around to refuse him the standard veteran "better chance to catch on somewhere". That's how obvious it is that they're done. Maybe they've still got some trade interest kicking around.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

If you watch the tape and imagine that he's a RB lined up in the slot, you'd be like damn he's a good receiving back. He hasn't been concentrating on WR for long and I think he could improve. He's played RB, WR, CB, and PR - it's alot. At NC they just wanted to find ways to get him the ball, I don't think they were devoted to teaching him to use precise mechanics. He's a raw developmental guy that could be awesome in a limited role as he adds to his skillset.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

I've watched a little bit of this kid... I'm not sure I get the hype. Seems to have average burst, but he does run routes smoothly. Nothing special?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS