Mooney moving

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I'm wondering - what are people's opinions about how Mooney would do working out of the slot?

The reason I ask in the war room (besides the main page being avalanched with HC & GM talk) is that almost all the WR prospects that interest me are pretty obvious SE types.
Which leads me to wonder about moving Mooney inside. Fast little guys often play slot. Still Mooney gets nice separation split out and wouldn't be in the same routes/situations in the slot. Also, more punishment is likely. What say you?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

You're talking about 2nd Round SE types? Who?

My feeling is that the Bears couldn't find a sure starter in the 2nd or later so it makes sense to sign FAs instead and plan to move Mooney accordingly. I think he can play any WR position pretty well.
xyt in the discord chats
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:15 pm You're talking about 2nd Round SE types? Who?

My feeling is that the Bears couldn't find a sure starter in the 2nd or later so it makes sense to sign FAs instead and plan to move Mooney accordingly. I think he can play any WR position pretty well.
No, not referring to R2.
I've taken Olave once or twice when he slid, but not expecting that and no other receivers I've taken that high.

Tolbert in R3 is a popular pick for me, for example, though.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Ok yeah - long kid with some contested catch ability. I don't think it's crazy to spend a mid-rounder and hope he's your x of the future but that seems like a tough spot to start for a rookie because you can get pressed so easily. You better hope your round 2 pick is someone who can contribute immediately
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

I like Jameson Williams and David Bell at the top or R2. Although both could easily go in R1 when it's all said and done.

Still, Mooney is WR1 and he's kind of proven he deserves it. 1000 yards in that shitshow of an offense?
Z Bear
MVP

I do not see how Jameson Williams makes it out of round 1 with the season he had. All the more recent mocks I have seen talk about im as one of the risers.

To me a WR1 is a bigger body guy that can win jump ball situations, that ain't Mooney. His contested catch rate is pretty bad, but his route running and speed more than make up for it most of the time.
wab
Mod

Z Bear wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:31 am I do not see how Jameson Williams makes it out of round 1 with the season he had. All the more recent mocks I have seen talk about im as one of the risers.

To me a WR1 is a bigger body guy that can win jump ball situations, that ain't Mooney. His contested catch rate is pretty bad, but his route running and speed more than make up for it most of the time.
Well when every route is contested by design...it's hard to get a read on what that player can actually do.

Like it or not, Mooney is WR1 by default at this point. That's not even mentioning that he was also a 1000 yard WR in the worst offense in the NFL that had 3 starting QBs and not much other receiving help to speak of.
Z Bear
MVP

I like Mooney alot and think he can be even better with a better offensive system and play caller. We tried to run the smurfs last year at WR and it did not work out so well. A QB needs to have a security blanket that he can lob the ball up to when everyone is covered, the Bears do not have one right now. Kmet, Robinson, nor Mooney were really that good at contested catches; Graham was only one they had and he is not coming back. They need a big bodied WR who can bail his QB out, that to me is a WR1. Mooney has quickness and deep speed which is the perfect compliment to the WR1 type I describe.