Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Got to give props to athletes at my alma mater:

Awards season starts for WIU star
Donaldson a finalist for Walter Payton Award

Journal Star news services
Posted Dec 01, 2008 @ 07:19 PM

MACOMB — The postseason awards started rolling in Monday for Western Illinois running back Herb Donaldson.

The senior was named one of three finalists for the Sports Network's Walter Payton Award and also earned the Missouri Valley Football Conference's Offensive Player of the Year Award.

Donaldson rushed for 1,784 yards this season to lead the nation in rushing. His 21 touchdowns also made him the nation's scoring leader with 12.0 points per game.

Quarterbacks Armanti Edwards (Appalachian State) and Rodney Landers (James Madison) are the other two finalists for the Payton Award, given to the FCS's best offensive player.

The winner, chosen by sports information directors and media members covering the FCS, will be named on Dec. 18 in Chattanooga, Tenn. along with the winners of the Buck Buchanan Award (best defensive player) and the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award.

Donaldson's teammate, linebacker Jason Williams, is a candidate for the Buchanan. Williams finished second in voting for the Valley's defensive player of the year award behind Northern Iowa defensive lineman James Ruffin.

First-year Southern Illinois coach Dale Lennon was named coach of the year for guiding the Salukis to a share of the league title.

Donaldson and Williams were also first team all-Valley selections along with fullback Dre Gibbs, offensive lineman Reshad Jones, kicker Taylor Rowan, defensive lineman Josh Galloway and defensive back Patrick Stoudamire.

Wide receiver Eyad Salem was Illinois State's lone first team selection.

The full list of all-conference selections can be found on D4 of Tuesday's Journal Star.
================================================

Williams is a stud at LB and could possibly have a shot at the NFL. I would say he is every bit as good as Edgerton Hartwell and before injuries Hartwell played pretty good.

Donaldson is not bad either but I just don't see him making it. Hope I am wrong. Aaron Stecker has made a nice career in NFL for quite awhile so you never know.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Western back is third in Payton voting
Donaldson's teammate, LB Williams, is fourth in Buchanan balloting

By KEVIN CAPIE
Of the Journal Star
Posted Dec 18, 2008 @ 10:31 PM

Being just the sixth player in Football Championship Subdivision history to lead the nation in rushing and scoring wasn't enough for Western Illinois running back Herb Donaldson.

Still, that didn't dampen the accomplishment of finishing third in voting for the Walter Payton Award, given Thursday night to the best offensive player in FCS.

Applachian State running back Armanti Edwards won the award, followed in voting by James Madison quarterback Rodney Landers.

'There's no disappointment at all,' Donaldson said by phone from Chattanooga, Tenn. where the annual awards were handed out. 'To be mentioned and associated with Walter Payton is an honor and those are the two top players from the two top teams in the country.'

Edwards finished with 53 first-place votes and 398 points. Landers received 17 first-place votes and 290 points. Donaldson received 14 first-place votes and 209 points.

Western Illinois linebacker Jason Williams finished fourth in voting for the Buck Buchanan Award given to the best defensive player. Eastern Washington defensive end Greg Peach won the award.

The Payton, Buchanan and Eddie Robinson awards — given to James Madison coach Mickey Matthews as the FCS coach of the year — were voted on before the start of the postseason playoffs by a panel of sports information directors and media members that cover the FCS.

Williams, the only Missouri Valley Conference player among the 16 Buchanan finalists, received 11 first-place votes and 164 points.

Donaldson, from St. Louis, and Williams, out of Chicago DuSable, were named to the American Football Coaches Association all-American team Thursday.

Williams led the nation this season with six forced fumbles. His 14 career forced fumbles set the FCS record and tied the NCAA all-division mark.

Donaldson rushed for 1,784 yards and scored 21 touchdowns. His averaged 162.2 yards and 12.0 points per game.

He finished his career as the school and Missouri Valley Conference career leader with 4,746 yards.

'My dad has told me that I'll realize I did some great things,' Donaldson said, 'but right now I still wish I was out with my teammates to play (tonight in the FCS championship game).'

Kevin Capie can be reached at 686-3214 or kcapie@pjstar.com.