Your Guy

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Who's your guy? Rd 1, 2, whatever. Who are you eyeing?

Mine is Taylor Mays, S from USC.
Here's a scouting report on him:
Just a junior, Taylor Mays is already somewhat of a legend in draftnik circles and if his workout numbers are anything close to what has been rumored he could be long gone by the 10th pick on Draft Day. The phrase "Hits Like a Linebacker, Runs Like a Cornerback" was made to describe guys like Mays, who checks in at 6-3 and 230 pounds and has reportedly run a 4.3 forty. Granted USC has a fast track and is known for inflating their players times but even if Mays runs a 4.45 it will still be very impressive at that size. Guys like Mays just don't come around very often and teams may have a hard time passing up the chance to add such a freakish athlete and potential impact player to their secondary.
G08
Hall of Famer

First round: Darrius Heyward-Bey or Kenny Britt... I really want a WR with size and speed would be an added bonus.

Second round: Phil Loadholt... this is way premature but I think he could be a solid RT with some work.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Second round: Phil Loadholt... this is way premature but I think he could be a solid RT with some work.
I don't know man. I think he's too small to play in the NFL. The guy is only 6'8" 340 lbs.

:lol:
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
wab
Mod

Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina...6'2, 210. Reminds me of Michael Irvin. No shit.

and check out this sick catch

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/b ... aaf,131346
G08
Hall of Famer

Did Nicks declare? I'd take him over DHB... but in the second round. Maybe we could land a top-tier DE with round one and this kid in round two.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

Hmm looks like he should:

Source: Hakeem Nicks To Enter The Draft
Written by NFL Draft Bible
Sunday, 28 December 2008 14:17

North Carolina wide receiver Hakeem Nicks will declare for the NFL Draft, according to several sources. Nicks was expected to declare before the bowl game and he is now expected to declare.

On Saturday, Nicks finished with eight catches for a Meineke Car Care-record 217 yards and three TDs. The 217 receiving yards was the 12th most in NCAA bowl history.

On the season, Nicks finished with career highs of 1,222 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns, averaging 18 yards per reception. He gained over 130 receiving yards against Miami (FL), Notre Dame and Boston College in 2008.

wab
Mod

The 1st round is going to be ripe with LBs and DEs... WR's not so much. Should Crabtree opt to stay in school (although I don't know why he would, but that's the word) you may see DHB and Nicks jocky to be the 1st WR selected.
G08
Hall of Famer

I almost think we have to go top-tier DE over one of these WRs. Everette Brown's looked pretty sick from what I've seen. I like that Greg Hardy kid you mentioned but it seems so much like he disappears for stretches at a time. Michael Johnson looks like a freak, but again he disappears for such long stretches that it makes me worry about how he would do against NFL offensive lines.

What do you think of George Selvie?

wab
Mod

I think Selvie will probably have to play LB. He probably doesn't weigh more than 235-240.
IE
Hall of Famer

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:Who's your guy? Rd 1, 2, whatever. Who are you eyeing?

Mine is Taylor Mays, S from USC.
Here's a scouting report on him:
Seconded... if he is entering the draft. Is he for sure?

I've been on board for Safety as the #1 priority in the draft. I've seen Mays play a few times this year, and he's a stud. Fast, tough, hard-hitting. Seems smart. An important part of a truly great defense. If someone can sell us a better one, let's hear it. Until then, I'm going to Taylor's bar mitzvah... :love:

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-foo ... lor00.html
2008: The hard-hitting Mays returns for his third season as the starting free safety as a junior in 2008 and could earn repeat All-American first team honors after doing so in 2007 (he's also a Thorpe Award candidate). He had arthroscopic surgery on his ankle prior to 2008 spring practice. He was named to the 2008 Playboy Pre-Season All-American team. He is on the "Watch List" for the 2008 Bronko Nagurski Award and Lott Trophy.

2007: After a decorated freshman season in 2006, Mays returned for his second season as the starting free safety as a sophomore in 2007 and continued his stellar play. Overall in 2007 while starting all 13 games, he had 65 tackles (third on USC), 1 interception, 6 deflections, 1 fumble recovery and 1 forced fumble. He was named a 2007 The Sporting News All-American first team, SI.com All-American second team, AP All-American third team, Jewish Sports Review All-American, Collegefootballnews.com Sophomore All-American second team, All-Pac-10 honorable mention and Rivals.com All-Pac-10 first team pick.

He had 5 tackles versus Idaho, 6 stops and a deflection at Nebraska, 3 tackles against Washington State and 2 tackles at Washington. He added 2 tackles, 2 deflections and an interception (to set up an USC TD) against Stanford. He had 4 tackles and forced a fumble against Arizona, then had 5 stops at Notre Dame, a career-best 12 tackles at Oregon, 6 tackles against Oregon State and 10 tackles and 3 deflections (both team highs) at California. He had 4 tackles at Arizona State and 3 stops and a fumble recovery against UCLA. He had 3 tackles against Illinois.

2006: Just a first-year freshman, Mays took over the free safety job in 2006 after Josh Pinkard suffered a season-ending injury in the opener and he ended up starting USC's final 12 games. Overall in 2006 while appearing in all 13 games, he had 62 tackles, a team-best 3 interceptions that he returned 40 yards (13.3 avg.) and 3 deflections. He made the 2006 The Sporting News All-American second team, Collegefootballnews.com Defensive Freshman of the Year, The Sporting News Freshman All-American first team, Rivals.com Freshman All-American first team, Scout.com Freshman All-American first team and Rivals.com All-Pac-10 second team and was named Pac-10 Co-Freshman of the Year, The Sporting News Pac-10 Defensive Freshman of the Year and Rivals.com Pac-10 Freshman of the Year.

After getting 2 tackles at Arkansas, he had 5 tackles against Nebraska while starting for the first time at free safety. He then had 3 tackles at Arizona, 4 tackles, a deflection and an interception near the goal line on the game's last play at Washington State, 8 stops with a deflection against Washington and a tackle versus Arizona State. He made a game-best 11 tackles (with a deflection) at Oregon State, added 4 stops at Stanford, had 4 tackles and returned an interception 38 yards against Oregon and 6 tackles and an interception against California. He had 7 tackles against Notre Dame, 3 at UCLA and 4 versus Michigan.

HIGH SCHOOL: He was named a 2005 Parade All-American (he was the defensive back MVP), USA Today All-USA first team, EA Sports All-American first team, Super Prep Elite 50, Prep Star Dream Team, ESPN 150, Super Prep All-American, Prep Star All-American, U.S. Army All-American Game participant, Old Spice Red Zone Player of the Year, Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-Western, Long Beach Press-Telegram Best in the West first team, Orange County Register Fab 15 first team, Tacoma News-Tribune Western 100, Tacoma News Tribune Northwest Nugget, Gatorade Washington Player of the Year, All-State first team and All-Metro League Mountain Division Offensive MVP and Defensive Co-MVP pick as a senior defensive back, wide receiver and quarterback at O'Dea High in Seattle, Wash. He had 166 tackles, 5 interceptions returned for 98 yards (19.6 avg.) and 5 deflections in 2005, plus caught 36 passes for 765 yards (21.3 avg.) with 15 TDs and rushed for 3 more scores.

As a junior in 2004, he made Student Sports Junior All-American while posting 89 tackles, 5 interceptions and 5 deflections, catching 25 passes for 614 yards (20.6 avg.) with 7 TDs and returning 12 punts for 392 yards (32.7 avg.) with 3 TDs.

He also ran track (best of 10.88 in the 100 meters) at O'Dea, where he was a 2-time (2004-05) state 3A champion in the 100 and 200 meters.

PERSONAL: He's a sociology major at USC. His father, Stafford Mays, was a defensive lineman at Washington in 1978 and 1979 who then played in the NFL with the St. Louis Cardinals (1980-86) and Minnesota Vikings (1987-88 when current USC head coach Pete Carroll was an assistant coach there).

TAYLOR MAYS ON: The advice he received from his father: "He retired in 1989, so it wasn't like I ran around NFL practice fields when I was young. But he gave me a lot of insight. He could tell me about things because he went through them."

His bar mitzvah: "I don't think at the time I really understood what it meant. Now, looking back on it, I feel like I have come a long way in regards to maturity and becoming an adult. I think it helped me do that."

WHAT OTHER SAY: USC head coach Pete Carroll: "Taylor did a remarkable job of jumping in so early. He did such a great job of applying himself and learning his position. He did a fine job of playing back there and keeping things in front of him and playing like he's been around. He played with experience that you didn't know where it came from, but he had it. He's now faster than ever and he's a very good learner. He's a high achiever, driven, all of the positive things. He wants to be great and he's willing to do what it takes to be great. He doesn't just talk about it, he does it."
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Xee
Site Admin

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:Who's your guy? Rd 1, 2, whatever. Who are you eyeing?

Mine is Taylor Mays, S from USC
One question. Can he wrap up and tackle? Highlight-reel hits are great and all but I swear, if I see another one of our safeties think they're bad-asses and not even try to tackle someone I'm going to scream. Well, scream louder than I have been already.
IE
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote:
One question. Can he wrap up and tackle? Highlight-reel hits are great and all but I swear, if I see another one of our safeties think they're bad-asses and not even try to tackle someone I'm going to scream. Well, scream louder than I have been already.
From the limited times I've seen, "yes"... but I'm no draftnik.

I was going to ask our resident draft gurus to profile all the best safeties for us ... but right now they're jizzing in their pants over first round WRs. :drool:
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!