NFL Scounts aren't sure about Tebow

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

I know he's not declaring, but I figured it was a worthwhile debate
_________________________________________ ____ ___ __ _

Tim Tebow's decision to stay at Florida for another season probably was wise, because many NFL scouts believe he won't be anywhere near as good as a pro as he is in college.

Some NFL talent evaluators think the 6-foot-3-inch, 240-pounder's best position as a pro isn't even quarterback. Much debate exists on how to best use Tebow's unusual abilities.

Scouts love his competitiveness, toughness, leadership, size, strength and intelligence. But what is he? Some think he's a Pro Bowl tight end waiting to happen. Others see him as a safety. He could even be a running back.

But no one can say with certainty that Tebow can be a star quarterback in the NFL because of the unconventional offense he plays in for the Gators and his unorthodox playing style.

Chasing history "Any team that takes him is rolling the dice," one general manager said. "It's not like you'd be taking Joe Flacco. If you think he's going to be a running quarterback like he is in college, he won't make it. No one would."

Tebow is not a great passer. But he isn't a bad one. And he has decent arm strength. So could he develop in a pro-style offense? And what price should a team pay for a player it isn't sure about?

"He's so different from any quarterback who has come through," an NFC player personnel director said. "You probably would have to tailor your offense to him. A team that runs the West Coast offense couldn't take him. Nobody knows what to do with him."

Tebow probably would have gone pretty high in the draft had he come out, perhaps as high as the middle of the first round. But taking him there would have been classified as a considerable risk.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Truly a guy without a position in the NFL. Glad he is staying another year. I read somewhere that his mind is set on playing in the NFL. I don't see his performance next year faltering.
UOK
Site Admin

I don't see him as an NFL QB, but who knows. I don't enjoy gimmick offenses in college, and I certainly don't believe that those QBs translate well into pro styles.
makaur
Pro Bowler

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:I don't see him as an NFL QB, but who knows. I don't enjoy gimmick offenses in college, and I certainly don't believe that those QBs translate well into pro styles.
Couldn't agree more.

Now, if you're talking about offenses at places like Purdue, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, or Texas.....then maybe. Those offenses aren't as initially friendly to QB's as they transition to the Pro's because they're used to playing out of the shotgun and their only read is to identify the coverage (as opposed to understanding why certain guys will be open). In the NFL, you better be prepared to play under center. If not, you're going to struggle.

Drew Brees is the classic example of what I'm talking about. He couldn't play to save his life earlier in his Pro career, but once he figured out how to read defenses from under center, he's been outstanding since. I only pray the same thing happens with Orton. The problem? Most NFL teams aren't willing to wait 3 or 4 years for a QB to finally "get it."

On the comment about gimmick offenses, I can't stand them. Florida, Illinois, West Virginia, and now Michigan all run that Mickey Mouse offense. Sure, Florida has won two titles in three years....true....but they did it more with defense than offense (holding both Ohio State and Oklahoma offenses to 14 points in the title games? Wow).

Tebow may or may not get drafted to play QB, but he will not spend his NFL career throwing the football.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

I'll stick with my original prediction: Tim Tebow will play tight end in the NFL.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
UOK
Site Admin

imprint3454 wrote:I'll stick with my original prediction: Tim Tebow will play tight end in the NFL.
He's the second coming of Matt Jones.