College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Mississippi's Oher talks with Bears
Tackle one of many of interest at scouting combine

By Vaughn McClure
10:30 PM CST, February 19, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS - As NFL prospects congregated for informal meetings Wednesday night, Mississippi left tackle Michael Oher walked away impressed with his discussion with the Bears.

"I think it went really well," Oher said of his chat with Harry Hiestand, the Bears offensive line coach. "We talked for a long time. We talked about plays, technique. … The things that they run up there."

The Bears need a tackle and Oher (6-4, 309) would make for quite a story.

Oher's life before college was documented in a book called "The Blind Side: Evolution of the Game," a best-seller by Michael Lewis. Oher's father was murdered and his mother addicted to crack cocaine.

"I grew up poor in the streets," he said during Thursday's interview session at the NFL combine. "Homeless a lot. I just worked hard, came through a lot of adversity. I was taken in by a family that helped me get to college and pushed me. That's why I think I'm here today."

Sandra Bullock will star in a movie based on the book. Asked what actor he wants to play his role, Oher said, "I have no idea and don't care."

Oher has a carefree attitude toward left and right tackle and is willing to play either. The Bears, with the No .18 overall pick, could have a void on the right side with John Tait expected to retire and John St. Clair headed toward free agency.

Extra points: Offensive tackle Phil Loadholt (6-7, 343) from Oklahoma also said he informally spoke with the Bears on Wednesday night. He is willing to play both tackle spots. … Agent Drew Rosenhaus said there was no new news with clients Kevin Jones, Israel Idonije and Darrell McClover on new contracts with the Bears. Idonije is searching for a new deal, while McClover and Jones become unrestricted free agents Feb. 27. … Adisa Bakari, who represents Matt Forte, has a small-school talent at running back in Liberty's Rashad Jennings. The 6-1, 234-pound Jennings has been timed at 4.48 seconds in the 40-yard dash. … Alabama left tackle Andre Smith projected to be a top five pick, denied reports that he had ballooned to 380 pounds and said his weight—down to 332 from 345—is not an issue. The 6-4 Smith will decide Friday if he will work out at the combine.

vxmcclure@tribune.com
gaba
Head Coach

I love this kid's story. I'm thrilled for him. I'm happy that he's still a high pick after deciding to stay in school. I'm happy that he decided to stay in school, I think he's probably got good people around him. I'm still not sure he's smart enough to really make it. I think it would take some good coaching to make a star out of him and I don't think the Bears have that. He might be a very good tackle but I don't know that it would work out in Chicago. The Bears need a guy that will require a little less hand-holding.

Nothing against the kid. It's a great story and I'll be rooting for him no matter where he lands. I'm just not sure Chicago's a great place for him.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
G08
Hall of Famer

If there's two position coaches we have that I think have the ability to develop a player, it's Rob Boras (TEs) and Harry Hiestand (OL).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
gaba
Head Coach

G08 wrote:If there's two position coaches we have that I think have the ability to develop a player, it's Rob Boras (TEs) and Harry Hiestand (OL).
A regular player, yes... but I think Oher might be a special case. No matter how good his position coach is, the cluster-f*&k everywhere else is going to have a negative effect on him.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
RumpShaker
Practice Squad

Shit...... I would take a shot with him..... Heck, I wouldnt mind him being on the bears either...
gaba
Head Coach

If he's successful... hell, even if he's not... he'd at the very least be a guy we could be proud of and really enjoy rooting for. I'd just rather not take a chance on a great story right now.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
G08
Hall of Famer

The more I inquire about it, the more it seems that we don't have a shot at him.

Next on my list... William Beatty/Eben Britton. Or do we go *gulp* DHB/Maclin round one and Loadhoalt/Johnson round two? God damn this draft :angry:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"