Kickers are athletes too!!!

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

USC kicker David Buehler ran a 4.56 40 yard dash at the NFL scouting combine. He also completed 25 reps of 225 lbs on the bench press. For some perspective, that bettered 27 offensive linemen, including Michael Oher and Eugene Monroe. Two guys that are projected first round picks.

Kickers are athletes too!!!
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Halas85
Assistant Coach

The fact that scouts could give a shit how many reps said kicker racked up on the bench press proves that while some kickers might maintain the attributes of an athlete, they will utilize few of these attributes in the NFL. They need a good leg, and they can't be a head case. While most pro football players' struggles can be solved either in the weight room or the film room, an NFL kicker who struggles would be best off seeing a shrink ... not necessarily the road most taken by most professional athletes.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
gaba
Head Coach

I played with two kickers in high school. One was definitely an athlete. He was a star receiver and a golden gloves boxer on top of being able to kick damn near 70 yards. He kicked a 62 1/2 yard FG his senior year. On the other end of the spectrum, his replacement tripped over a yard line on his first kick-off.

I like to give you sh*t imp, but I really have no lack of respect for kickers. Of course they're athletes... not on the level of most professional athletes. (Somewhere between golfer and professional fisherman.) It takes a certain amount of leg strength to be really good, but skill and mental preparedness are far more important. An impressive bench press or a fast 40 means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for a kicker.

IF he's a good kicker though... it would be nice to have what basically amounts to an extra player on the kicking team. Occasionally a kicker will make a big tackle, but more often they end up looking stupid.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

***Sigh***

Guess I needed to throw the biggest sarcasm brackets in history around this one.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Chifaninca
Journeyman

Kickers are Goulden