Biggs: Wideout out of range after Heyward-Bey flies in 40

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Wideout way out of range for Bears now after Heyward-Bey flies in 40

By Brad Biggs
February 22, 2009 7:01 PM

Darrius Heyward-Bey virtually sprinted himself out of consideration for the Bears today.

The Maryland wide receiver blazed through the 40-yard dash at the combine in 4.30 seconds, the fastest time of any receiver on the day and tied for the second fastest by a receiver at the combine since 2000. Any hope the Bears had of being able to consider him with the 18th pick in the first round looks to be gone in 4.3 seconds.

In fact, it was pretty good times all around on the day for the position group that the Bears has to be keeping a close eye on. A couple other receivers had strong performances and might be worth considering a little later on in the draft.

*** Ohio State's Brian Robiskie answered questions about his speed when the 6-3, 210-pounder ran the 40 in 4.51 seconds. His vertical jump of 37.5 inches was ninth among wideouts. He was fifth in the three cone drill in 6.72 seconds and eighth in the 20-yard shuttle.

*** Rutgers wide receiver Kenny Britt impressed on the bench press putting up 23 reps at 225 pounds, second for the position behind only Brooks Foster of North Carolina, who had 27. Britt did well in the broad jump and his 4.48 time in the 40 was a boost for the 6-3, 218-pounder.

*** Ole Miss' Mike Wallace turned some heads at the Senior Bowl and continued to build momentum for himself. His 4.33 time in the 40 was second to only Heyward-Bey. He tied for first in the broad jump and is a climber at this point.

*** Penn State's Derrick Williams will surely want to run again at his pro day. His 4.58 time in the 40 was significantly slower than expected and one of the few real letdowns of the day. He's reportedly been battling the flu lately and he'll need to improve this time to avoid doubts creeping in.

*** How about this? New England coach Bill Belichick, a hard man to find at the combine most years, chatted for about 20 minutes. One of the topics he covered? The evolution of the safety position, something the Bears are a little behind the time with.

"I think that the safety position is becoming more and more of a corner position in the National Football League,'' Belichick said. "There were times when some of the safeties, particularly the strong safeties, fit more almost like linebackers than they did as defensive backs. I think that's changed gradually, but now to the point where your defensive backs a lot of times either have to cover wide receivers or they have to cover tight ends who are very, very good in the passing game, not little guys that are running five-yard hook routes and stuff like that.

"The tight ends in the league, which it seems like just about every team has one, can get downfield, make athletic and acrobatic catches and get open and beat tight coverage. I think the demands of that position have changed, and I think that has changed the evaluation a little bit. So maybe some of those hybrid guys that have played corner, have played safety, like [Ohio State cornerback Malcolm] Jenkins, for example, is a guy that's played both, what his best fit will be for a team, where he would be most valuable is certainly an interesting discussion for all teams.''

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said Saturday that it would be premature to call free safety a "need'' for the Bears because of the presence of Craig Steltz, the fourth-round pick from 2008 who scouts billed as strictly a strong safety.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I would trade UP to get Heyward-Bey.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
gaba
Head Coach

Let's try and find a WR that can catch, instead of just drafting more speed. Besides... aren't we all supposed to believe Orton can't go deep?
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
G08
Hall of Famer

I was high on DHB for a while after our season ended. I got excited by the measurables, a 6'3" guy that's around 200 lbs and runs in the low 4.3's. But let me ask you the following questions:

How does he do getting into and out of his breaks?
Does he have consistent hands?
Does he go across the middle?
Does he shy away from contact?
Is he just a sprinter in pads?

I've read articles where he's said that his biggest problem adjusting to football was the ability to maintain his speed going into and out of his breaks. What good does a 4.3 guy do for us if he can't shake a corner?

In these same articles, I've read where he said he would run as fast as he could to get away from corners because he didn't want to get hit. There's also rumblings out there that the guy doesn't like to go across the middle because he's scared to get hit. Is that someone we want with the #18 pick? Don't get me wrong, if he can put it together the guy can be a flat out stud.

But for now? Give me this guy in the second round:
*** Ohio State's Brian Robiskie answered questions about his speed when the 6-3, 210-pounder ran the 40 in 4.51 seconds. His vertical jump of 37.5 inches was ninth among wideouts. He was fifth in the three cone drill in 6.72 seconds and eighth in the 20-yard shuttle.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

I just want a WR on our roster that is 6'3" 210 or so.
UOK
Site Admin

These kind of things piss me off about the draft. The 40 time? It's one thing. It's a really fast sprint. That's cool and all but it shouldn't make somebody a better player because of it. To me game film and coaching testimony mean a lot more than how fast he can sprint 40 yards.
Fumblebuck
MVP

I'm very intrigued by Percy Harvin. He only ran the 40 at the combine (4.37), but the guy is a game breaker with the ball in his hands. He has instant speed and electric cuts...Hester like.

The reason I'm on him is he's probably the only WR, based on what we have seen from this staff, who has the potential to have an impact this year, and that would be from the backfield in spot duty for Forte.

He was as much a RB as WR this year at Florida and almost averaged 10.0 yards per carry (spread offense). If Harvin is worked properly (big if) he could at the same time be brought along at WR, while given a small package at RB and be our version of the Titans C. Johnson.
wab
Mod

DHB may have run a fast time but he was way to inconsistent for me to consider taking in round one. I would rather have Maclin or Nicks...preferably Nicks. Other than Crabtree, they are the top tier prospects that actually showed up week in and week out.

It looks more an more like we are either going WR or OT in round 1....with some teams falling in love with DHB, we may get a shot at Maclin, who strikes me as a Torry Holt type. Game breaking speed and a good route runner.

WR has quickly become one of the biggest boom or bust players in the 1st round, so you best be careful when you fall in love with measureables alone.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

If Maclin was an inch or two taller, I'd probably want him.
gaba
Head Coach

I'll take a shorter guy that can catch over a taller guy that's fast.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!