Pink Floyd

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

So I'm not trying to put the cart before the horse, but it sounds like Pink Floyd is our official band. (I could be wrong.)

Let's post our favorite Pink Floyd songs here.

I know you guys all know this one. Every now and then this bring me to tears.

UOK
Site Admin

I wouldn't consider Pink Floyd my band or anything, but I definitely have a lot of great memories growing up. They were my first "let's get high and listen to an album" band, and "Wish You Were Here" is a vital song when learning acoustic guitar. "Time" and "Comfortably Numb" are favorites for when I need a soaring ride, "Money" and "Another Brick In The Wall" when I'm feeling cynical.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Oh man where do I start.

I started listening to Floyd when I was about 12, and haven't stopped. In Portland, the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry held Friday night Pink Floyd The Wall laser light shows in their planetarium. Let's just say you could grab a contact high waiting to get in. It was awesome! Getting high AF and watching that was HILARIOUS! I used to lie in my bed with a black light on and listen to The Wall. Conceptually and musically it is one of the all time great albums. Dark Side of the Moon was really good, and deserves all of the praise it got. But I think The Wall was better. I also LOVE the album Animals. It's on par with The Wall. I need to revisit their older stuff more, as well as The Final Cut. I never got into that album.

My appreciation went to another level when I started playing the guitar a couple of years ago, and really started accelerating my playing over the last 8 months. I have been learning a lot of PF, and I can honestly say I'm not sure there has ever been a rock guitarist that understood the benefit of simplicity and the use of NOT playing notes, more than David Gilmour. He takes a simple pentatonic scale and turns it into magic. Anyone can learn to shred a neck. But he has proven unequivocally that more notes does not make a guitar solo better.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Have any of you tried the Dark Side Of The Moon and Wizard of Oz trick? Does it work?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:31 pm Have any of you tried the Dark Side Of The Moon and Wizard of Oz trick? Does it work?
Tried it in college. Fell asleep like 2 minutes in.
UOK
Site Admin

Yeah, never really tried it. Felt like a pointless and long exercise.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:41 pm
I don't get it...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So the wizard of oz, It definitely is unique how the music flows with the movie. I dont know if that's unusual, maybe Metallicas master of puppets matches up too.

I think Pink Flyd is a great band. One of the greats. How ever I find those who say its, "my favorite band" are only interesting on the surface, and I generally dislike those people.

I know nothing of musical talent. I do know Pink Floyd made music that is appealing to a wide range listeners, and definitely had a very distinctive sound. As I write this I feel I could write the same thing about sublime. Another band I love, but cant say it's a favorite.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I never had the pleasure of seeing Pink Floyd live but, because I love the music and it's always great to hear it performed live, I have taken the opportunity to go and see a number of tribute acts when they've been performing local to me: The Spirit of Pink Floyd, The Pink Floyd Experience and The Australian Pink Floyd. They're always fun nights out, complete with the Floyd-style round projector screen and light show.

Here are a few pics from last one I went to a few years ago pre-pandemic. They're not the best quality because the lights play merry havoc with a phone camera.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Floyd was our end of the night music. Toasted on some good weed, mix in a little alcohol, put Floyd on and just melt into whatever you sitting or lying on. Good times.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:20 am So I'm not trying to put the cart before the horse, but it sounds like Pink Floyd is our official band. (I could be wrong.)

I think one of the most underrated parts of Pink Floyd was Gilmour's voice. It was beautiful. Waters' voice was very in your face. Gilmour's was all about an airy tenor sound. Matched his playing to a tee.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:43 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:20 am So I'm not trying to put the cart before the horse, but it sounds like Pink Floyd is our official band. (I could be wrong.)

I think one of the most underrated parts of Pink Floyd was Gilmour's voice. It was beautiful. Waters' voice was very in your face. Gilmour's was all about an airy tenor sound. Matched his playing to a tee.
Absolutely.

Gilmour's voice can have a haunting effect at times. Very emotional too. His voice is something that stays in your head when you imagine the song in your mind which says something given the guitar.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I loved Pink Floyd from the first time I ever heard their music ... it has so much depth to it ... it is like you can feel the music as your listening to it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:47 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:43 pm

Absolutely.

Gilmour's voice can have a haunting effect at times. Very emotional too. His voice is something that stays in your head when you imagine the song in your mind which says something given the guitar.
Unfortunately given the total ass that Roger Waters is, we got to hear less and less of Gilmour. After Syd Barret left the band, and was replaced by David Gilmour. Pink Floyd started experimenting with their own individual sounds. They started stretching as artists. When they got together and wrote/recorded Dark Side of the Moon, their first major commercial success. Gilmour was featured prominently on lead vocals for inarguably their two biggest hits, Time and Money. Waters saw his opportunity to command the band as he wanted slipping away. Then after the commercial success of Wish You Were Here, with again Gilmour featured on vocals. Waters had had enough. He refused to be relegated to second fiddle, and started exerting his personality over the band, and took over primary vocal duties from Gilmour. Granted they went on to have continued commercial success, but Waters took control of Pink Floyd to make sure HE was center stage.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:40 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:47 am

Absolutely.

Unfortunately given the total ass that Roger Waters is, we got to hear less and less of Gilmour. After Syd Barret left the band, and was replaced by David Gilmour. Pink Floyd started experimenting with their own individual sounds. They started stretching as artists. When they got together and wrote/recorded Dark Side of the Moon, their first major commercial success. Gilmour was featured prominently on lead vocals for inarguably their two biggest hits, Time and Money. Waters saw his opportunity to command the band as he wanted slipping away. Then after the commercial success of Wish You Were Here, with again Gilmour featured on vocals. Waters had had enough. He refused to be relegated to second fiddle, and started exerting his personality over the band, and took over primary vocal duties from Gilmour. Granted they went on to have continued commercial success, but Waters took control of Pink Floyd to make sure HE was center stage.

Pink Floyd are the sort of penultimate concept album band. That's what they're known for and to treat the subject fairly, it should be noted that Roger Waters developed these concepts. There's no Pink Floyd as we know it without Waters' creative drive. But that's the thing about all the great bands. It's never one guy. It's always a couple of geniuses who somehow found and pushed each other. Gilmour is a great guitar player, no doubt. Technically, I don't think he's mindblowing or anything, but in terms of relaying emotion through simple licks as noted earlier, yes, that's his thing. Awesome.
Guitar solos only ever meet their potential in the context of a great surrounding song. That's why we don't sit here and wax poetic about about Engway Malmstein and Joe Satriani even though they slay. That's why albums like Divison Bell, once Waters left, come off sounding like hot cheese and lack the depth of the earlier albums. Waters stuff without Gilmour comes off lacking as well.

Egos suck and kill lots of bands. But there are also times that they push to get the best of everyone until a band is creatively spent. I'd argue the 4 or 5 best albums from PF were just these guys operating at their relative zeniths, they needed each others peculiar personalities to create them and they coexisted as long as they needed to. Was good while it lasted but couldn't last forever.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:07 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:40 am

Pink Floyd are the sort of penultimate concept album band. That's what they're known for and to treat the subject fairly, it should be noted that Roger Waters developed these concepts. There's no Pink Floyd as we know it without Waters' creative drive. But that's the thing about all the great bands. It's never one guy. It's always a couple of geniuses who somehow found and pushed each other. Gilmour is a great guitar player, no doubt. Technically, I don't think he's mindblowing or anything, but in terms of relaying emotion through simple licks as noted earlier, yes, that's his thing. Awesome.
Guitar solos only ever meet their potential in the context of a great surrounding song. That's why we don't sit here and wax poetic about about Engway Malmstein and Joe Satriani even though they slay. That's why albums like Divison Bell, once Waters left, come off sounding like hot cheese and lack the depth of the earlier albums. Waters stuff without Gilmour comes off lacking as well.

Egos suck and kill lots of bands. But there are also times that they push to get the best of everyone until a band is creatively spent. I'd argue the 4 or 5 best albums from PF were just these guys operating at their relative zeniths, they needed each others peculiar personalities to create them and they coexisted as long as they needed to. Was good while it lasted but couldn't last forever.
It's an awesome point. And one that Pink Floyd personifies as much as any other band that ever existed. It was the conflict within the extreme talent that provided the avenue for such legendary albums. But like you said, situations like that never last.